: Adding Value To The Cadillac Brand

PAULSTSMAN1
07-20-08, 12:06 AM
Early this morning while visiting another website, I remembered in the 1970's a company that marketed a re-designed Pontiac Grand Prix, with modifications and sold it as: the Stutz Blackhawk. This car was a hit with celebrities like: Elvis Presley, Sammy Davis Jr, Dean Martin, just to name a few. Even though it was a gussied up Grand Prix, what made it possible to sell for 4x the price was what it offered: Exclusivity, Speed, and sophistication.

For instance the standard 400 CID V8 was blueprinted, then installed on the modified GP chassis, an 18 gage steel body, which had even by today's standard exotic body style, and the interior was furnished with the best metals/materials (gold) and marble.

What I am questioning is if ALL Cadillac's had blueprinted engines, for refinement and differentiation from other GM divisions, if the added process would warrant Cadillacs higher premium and placement as GM's flagship line? As a multiple Cadillac owner, I feel with the Northstar V8 soon to be retired, will Cadillac customers consider a OHV V8 that can be had from another division worth the extra tariff? BTW, I test drove some months ago a CTS and was rather disappointed by the V6 NVH. When compared to the Honda V6, the CTS engine seemed to me: a low budget flop. It should have been re-balanced and brought up to Cadillac Standard, before introduction. This is why perhaps there is so much. 2 tier talk about Cadillac Division efforts..

I already have come to the belief that some years will have passed before the DTS/STS replacement is ready, and before the greenlight is given on the design, the powerplant should be decided on and approved, for weight/power considerations.

This post is not meant as a demand, but a question and a concern about what is required to add value, and the likelihood of Cadillac regaining a credible Luxury designation.

pompste
09-06-08, 06:42 PM
Early this morning while visiting another website, I remembered in the 1970's a company that marketed a re-designed Pontiac Grand Prix, with modifications and sold it as: the Stutz Blackhawk. This car was a hit with celebrities like: Elvis Presley, Sammy Davis Jr, Dean Martin, just to name a few. Even though it was a gussied up Grand Prix, what made it possible to sell for 4x the price was what it offered: Exclusivity, Speed, and sophistication.

For instance the standard 400 CID V8 was blueprinted, then installed on the modified GP chassis, an 18 gage steel body, which had even by today's standard exotic body style, and the interior was furnished with the best metals/materials (gold) and marble.

What I am questioning is if ALL Cadillac's had blueprinted engines, for refinement and differentiation from other GM divisions, if the added process would warrant Cadillacs higher premium and placement as GM's flagship line? As a multiple Cadillac owner, I feel with the Northstar V8 soon to be retired, will Cadillac customers consider a OHV V8 that can be had from another division worth the extra tariff? BTW, I test drove some months ago a CTS and was rather disappointed by the V6 NVH. When compared to the Honda V6, the CTS engine seemed to me: a low budget flop. It should have been re-balanced and brought up to Cadillac Standard, before introduction. This is why perhaps there is so much. 2 tier talk about Cadillac Division efforts..

I already have come to the belief that some years will have passed before the DTS/STS replacement is ready, and before the greenlight is given on the design, the powerplant should be decided on and approved, for weight/power considerations.

This post is not meant as a demand, but a question and a concern about what is required to add value, and the likelihood of Cadillac regaining a credible Luxury designation.

Very interesting information!