: Windshield Delaminate Issue?

Force-1
07-19-08, 06:03 PM
My windshield has a bunch of "bubbles" (for lack of a better term) along the top edge. It appears as if it's delaminating? Anyone else have this issue?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/force98/DSCF0925.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/force98/DSCF0926.jpg

Also, does anyone else think the top of the windshield looks odd, as if Cadillac forgot to put a trim piece there? Perhaps it's to reduce wind noise?

c5 rv
07-19-08, 08:02 PM
My SRX and Lincoln MKZ have the same lack of trim. However, there are no "bubbles".

sburgin
07-20-08, 12:28 AM
my new (to me) 05 STS has the same condition... I meant to ask the board here if that was normal/common. certainly looks less than appealing. I was wondering if maybe the windshield hadn't been replaced prior....

dkozloski
07-20-08, 02:46 AM
Show it to the dealer. A delaminating windshield is a serious and very expensive problm that won't heal-up on its own.

Lifer
07-20-08, 06:47 PM
I just checked my 2006 STS windshield and I too have a small row of small bubbles as pictured running along the top edge. It does not appear to be the glue used to hold the windshield to the body area. It does not appear to be moving down the glass area. Only across the top. :hmm:

sburgin
07-20-08, 09:42 PM
dkozloski has me worried now about my windshield.
i did some googling as to what might cause "delamination" of a windshield and couldn't come across much...
What might cause this type of condition to occur ?
What's the fix (new windshield?) ?
If not fixed - would this condition worsten over time and what would the symptoms be ?

rb92gt
07-20-08, 09:57 PM
Recently noticed my windshield doing the same thing. Just had the car in for a "Service Air Bag" light, but forgot to mention the windshield issue.

MARKVIII
07-21-08, 12:17 PM
you can add me to the list .. my windshield is bubbling up at the very top..i gotta tell you that if i would have bought this car new and paid sticker price i think i would have shot myself. this car has been a disappointment in the quality of materials department. from the crappy paint that scratches by just looking at it to the numerous squeaks and noises coming from the interior trim and drivers seat this car does not even come close to the competition. however, with that said the car does drive great.

Number 3
07-21-08, 07:58 PM
I had the same issue on my 05 STS, so I mentioned it to my service advisor and he just replaced the windshield for me. GOOD LUCK!!

Lifer
07-22-08, 09:13 PM
I popped into my local DFW Cadillac dealer and went through his entire stock of STS vehicles (all both of them...) and neither had bubbles in the windshield. Mine, a 2006, does. (As a note, there were enough Escaldes on the property to make any car dealer loose sleep at night.)

So, anyway, I am taking it in for a service manager's inspection.

Lifer
07-23-08, 01:37 PM
So, anyway, I am taking it in for a service manager's inspection.

New windshield is now on order. :bouncy: It will be installed tomorrow.

lreddiablo
07-23-08, 06:42 PM
I just got a new winshield on my '05, not because of this problem but because my heads up display was blurry. If you have a heads up display in your car you should have a differant, much more expensive winshield that reflects it much better, which I think was mistakenly overlooked when my car was manufactured. Anyways when I ordered it (warranty covered) they were on backorder for a couple weeks becasue GM had developed a new winshield that wasn't quite out at that time. Not sure why exactly they had a redesign on the winshiled but maybe it had something to do with the laminate problem, never noticed it on my car though.

Lifer
07-25-08, 08:34 PM
New windshield is now on order. :bouncy: It will be installed tomorrow.

Installed and now no bubbles. Interestingly, there was another STS in the service drive waiting the owner after some service work. I checked it windshield (it was a white STS at Sewell in Grapevine this morning in case the owner is reading this) and it had the same row of bubbles along the top. The service manager saw it at the same time and just nodded.

Also, I saw a newer compact Pontiac today that has the same windshield treatment as the STS - no molding at the top with an open edge, and it had a row of little bubbles along the top edge.

I took this before the replacement standing on the right side of the car looking down at a 45 degree angle. The bubbles are similar in size and spacing, clear across the top edge. The reflection is a shop lamp.

dkozloski
07-25-08, 09:35 PM
The windshield is an important part of the safety structure of the car. It helps support the roof and provides a backstop for the front airbags. In almost all cases, a delaminated windshield is the result of a lapse in the manufacturing process.

justgreat
07-28-08, 05:23 PM
just checked my 06 and no bubbles. i must say, based on some of the posts, it seems like the service managers' are simply replacing the windshield, standing behind their product.

to the people that have had the bubbling problem; have you been using a local carwash business or do you wash your sts yourself? maybe the brushes or the detergents are part of the problem. also, and this is why it's important that cadillac stand behind the windshield regardless, the bubbling is something that seems to due to manufacturing defect and you can rest assured that gm ain't making the glass....

jackg
06 sts6

Force-1
07-28-08, 08:12 PM
just checked my 06 and no bubbles. i must say, based on some of the posts, it seems like the service managers' are simply replacing the windshield, standing behind their product.

to the people that have had the bubbling problem; have you been using a local carwash business or do you wash your sts yourself? maybe the brushes or the detergents are part of the problem. also, and this is why it's important that cadillac stand behind the windshield regardless, the bubbling is something that seems to due to manufacturing defect and you can rest assured that gm ain't making the glass....

jackg
06 sts6

I've had my STS for 16 months now--always hand washed, never in a car wash.

justgreat
07-29-08, 01:34 PM
so much for that idea...

jackg
06 sts6

Lifer
07-29-08, 08:46 PM
I've had my STS for 16 months now--always hand washed, never in a car wash.

Ditto. Always by hand. No power scratches in my paint.

Force-1
08-27-08, 08:42 PM
My windshield has a bunch of "bubbles" (for lack of a better term) along the top edge. It appears as if it's delaminating? Anyone else have this issue?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/force98/DSCF0925.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/force98/DSCF0926.jpg

Also, does anyone else think the top of the windshield looks odd, as if Cadillac forgot to put a trim piece there? Perhaps it's to reduce wind noise?

Finally got around to taking my STS to the dealer to have this checked out yesterday. They had to take photos and send them to GM. Received a call today--GM has agreed to install a new windshield under warranty. It should arrive next week.

MARKVIII
08-27-08, 08:46 PM
Just got my new windshield last week. No question's asked. SWEET...........!!!!
Also got the headlight plastic covers replaced under warranty. they also were delaminating and pitting badly!

Force-1
08-28-08, 12:06 AM
Just got my new windshield last week. No question's asked. SWEET...........!!!!
Also got the headlight plastic covers replaced under warranty. they also were delaminating and pitting badly!

I take it they had to replace the entire headlight assembly both sides? I'm pretty sure the plastic lens covers cannot be replaced--have to order entire headlight unit at about $450 each.

MARKVIII
08-28-08, 05:30 AM
it looks to me that they replaced just the lens. i can tell because the rubber spline that goes around the lens is newer and looks to have been put in by hand.

Force-1
08-28-08, 09:11 AM
it looks to me that they replaced just the lens. i can tell because the rubber spline that goes around the lens is newer and looks to have been put in by hand.

Last year I had an encounter with a flying truck tire tread that did over $4K damage to the front of my STS. The only damage to one of my headlights was the black rubber seal was torn away. The body shop had to order an entire headlight assembly, as they said individual parts (seal, lens, etc) could not be ordered.

The same is true with my C6 Corvette--you must order the entire headlight assembly (about $900) if you crack the lens.

MARKVIII
08-28-08, 12:12 PM
just checked my paperwork and your right. they replaced one unit and polished out the other.

nguyendot
08-29-08, 12:37 PM
Washed my car last night - and noticed this too. Please let us know what the dealer determines. I hate driving way up there for service. Still not impressed with Cadillac service compared to Infiniti.

MARKVIII
08-29-08, 02:31 PM
as far as i can tell they have been replaceing these as they come in for service. u should not have any problems getting a new one.

Onalaska
08-31-08, 09:11 AM
I've noticed the small bubbles at the top of my windsheld, but was never concerned until I saw this thread. They have been there since I bought the car. They are not noticeable to anyone but me. I would rather keep the factory windshield than risk someone screwing up my car and possibly causing a leak replacing the windshield. I can't see any reason for replacement at this time even if it is covered by warranty.

Force-1
09-13-08, 08:46 PM
Finally got around to taking my STS to the dealer to have this checked out yesterday. They had to take photos and send them to GM. Received a call today--GM has agreed to install a new windshield under warranty. It should arrive next week.

Dealer replaced my windshield yesterday, and while driving home I noted the glass was bad. On the inside, driver side, there are numerous gouges in the glass, spaced randomly apart for about 5", running top to bottom. Some are as big as the fingernail on my pinky finger.

Back to the dealer next week. :mad:

sburgin
09-14-08, 11:18 PM
I just had mine replaced with this issue under warranty.
To be clear to an earlier poster - the dealer uses OEM windshields - not an aftermarket.

herberth59
02-12-11, 07:37 PM
I just got a Cadillac STS 2005 from a dealer ship and had them fix a dent in the roof and drop $2,000 off the asking price. So I got it for $15,000 with only 41,000 miles on the car. I notice everything before I made the deal and the dent was made by a golf ball. I let the car with them for a week to have it fixed and when they came out with the car I noticed the windshield on top was very bad and noticeable and it seemed to be coming apart, just lik the photos I have seen on here. I told the dealer I was not taking the car in that condition and in no way when we made the deal it was like that. They tired telling me that's what happends over time and that they did not take out the windshield to fix the dent. Well anyways they are to replace the windshield and fix it at no cost to me. I also notice there was no trim around the windows and called the dealer to ask about that. They said it did not come from the manufactory with trim and all of the Cadillac's STS don't have the trim and that I was more then welcome to go look on the lot at the other cars they have to compare. This upsets me as this car is only 6 years old and very well taken car of for only 41,000 miles and this is already taking place. It makes me wonder in another 6 years it will do it again!!

EChas3
02-12-11, 07:49 PM
Congratulations on your purchase. You're getting a lot of car at a good price.

What window trim? I don't have any.

I don't understand your gripe. They are fixing it aren't they?

Depending on the 'in service date' it might not even qualify for CPO. Did you get a warranty? They are highly recommended by nearly everyone on this site.

KRSTS
02-12-11, 07:57 PM
I just saw an 05 N* listed for under $10K at a dealer.

ddalder
02-12-11, 08:33 PM
I just saw an 05 N* listed for under $10K at a dealer.
Exactly why I would never buy a brand new one of these (as much as I'd like a brand new car).

As for the windshield, I'll have to look at mine. When I first started reading the thread, I wondered if the vehicle in question had an aftermarket version already installed. From the number of posts, It would seem like a GM issue and not an aftermarket one.

EChas3
02-12-11, 08:37 PM
I would call $10,000 a great price and wonder if they are comparable. The OP's STS has 41k miles and described himelf as 'notice everything'. I suppose I assumed a car like mine - 1SG. Around here, low mileage 1st Gen STS (2005-2007) cars like mine are selling for not much less than what I paid 2 years ago. Newer ones (2008 & up) are around $25k.