: Permenant Clunk Fix?

rb1
07-17-08, 11:07 AM
So I have a Front Differential support bushing from GM here to get rid of the clunk we all have when depressing, releasing the clutch etc. and someone here said we should improve it since it doesn't last long.

I can change the rubber to urathane, but does anyone know what grade I should use to optimize life and flex?

Also, does the inside aluminum bushing need to have the key ways and be oval?

Any imput would be appreciated as I wouldn't mind making a bunch if it works out OK.

cawengr
07-17-08, 11:12 AM
I just got my replaced under warranty and the new bushing is made of a full diameter steel center section surrounded the full 360 deg. with rubber. It performs well and should last a lot longer than the original design with the split rubber and oval center section.

rb1
07-17-08, 11:19 AM
Really? Does it have key ways through the bolt hole?

MauiV
07-17-08, 11:27 AM
I just got my replaced under warranty and the new bushing is made of a full diameter steel center section surrounded the full 360 deg. with rubber. It performs well and should last a lot longer than the original design with the split rubber and oval center section.

Is there a TSB for this?

Twitch
07-17-08, 11:47 AM
So I have a Front Differential support bushing from GM here to get rid of the clunk we all have when depressing, releasing the clutch etc. and someone here said we should improve it since it doesn't last long.

I can change the rubber to urathane, but does anyone know what grade I should use to optimize life and flex?

Also, does the inside aluminum bushing need to have the key ways and be oval?

Any imput would be appreciated as I wouldn't mind making a bunch if it works out OK.
Post a pic, so everyone can see it.
I said it doesn't last long. Funny thing, cuz my cars at the dealer for motor mounts. My service writer called me to tell me the tech noticed something by the diff he didn't like. They're changing a bushing, but he doesn't know which one.I'm sure it's the front diff bushing. Doesn't even have 5K on it. I'll post up when I know more.

Tony

rb1
07-17-08, 12:20 PM

What part # did you get?
Mine is 19121910

BTW i will get a picture of it up tomorow

Twitch
07-17-08, 08:31 PM
Post a pic, so everyone can see it.
I said it doesn't last long. Funny thing, cuz my cars at the dealer for motor mounts. My service writer called me to tell me the tech noticed something by the diff he didn't like. They're changing a bushing, but he doesn't know which one.I'm sure it's the front diff bushing. Doesn't even have 5K on it. I'll post up when I know more.

Tony

Update: Just got back from the dealer. It wasn't the diff bushing they changed. I was getting a bunch of noise from the rear (just like a bad diff bushing) and the driveshaft seemed to have a bit of play. I had no idea how much play it should have, so I asked them to check it. They changed the universal joint, and found a loose bolt on the upper control arm. That and the motor mounts and my baby is real smooth again.
Those motor mounts really made a lot of noise. Felt like the whole car was rattling. It feels like a Caddie again......Hotrod Caddie :cool2:

CadzillaTN
07-18-08, 01:20 AM
Mine is in for a diff replace and one mount. not sure why they dont replace both mounts while they are at it but oh well. I know its the one that gets most of the pressure. guess that will still make a big difference.

QUESTION- Does anyone know if they replace this bushing on a reg diff swap? OR, could they notice it and maybe swap it out when they were replacing the diff?...

Twitch
07-18-08, 06:25 AM
Mine is in for a diff replace and one mount. not sure why they dont replace both mounts while they are at it but oh well. I know its the one that gets most of the pressure. guess that will still make a big difference.

QUESTION- Does anyone know if they replace this bushing on a reg diff swap? OR, could they notice it and maybe swap it out when they were replacing the diff?...
1. It will make a huge difference.
2. The new diff coms with the bushing. They don't re-use your old one.

CadzillaTN
07-19-08, 01:07 AM
yep. thanks. They confirmed that when I picked it up. 'Clunkiness' is much less noticeable now. Between the new diff and mount it feels great. Much like it did when new I presume..

lollygagger8
07-21-08, 10:27 AM
Let's see some pics of the new design/part number!!
rB1, any luck with getting the urethane figured out?

rb1
07-21-08, 02:59 PM

Here is a pic of the part i have. Is yours the same part # as mine?
(1912 1910)

Does this look familiar to anyone?

rb1
07-21-08, 03:03 PM
I don't think it would be a big deal to press out the existing inner bushing and press in a new urathane bushing (if it could be round with no key ways that is)

Any idea on how hard the urathane should be?

lollygagger8
07-22-08, 10:00 AM
I don't know how hard the urethane should be, but the bushing on my diff looks exactly he same as that one. I wish UUC would get the one they're supposedly working on done!

Twitch
07-22-08, 11:36 AM
I don't know how hard the urethane should be, but the bushing on my diff looks exactly he same as that one. I wish UUC would get the one they're supposedly working on done!
They have till April sixth.

lollygagger8
07-22-08, 01:30 PM
They have till April sixth.

Twitch, what's April 6th?

Twitch
07-23-08, 04:53 PM
Twitch, what's April 6th?
4/06/09 is when my warranty is up. :cool:
I think this is a bigger issue then the motor mounts. I've heard they're only good for about 10K miles. To do it out of warranty would probably be very expensive, and too much work to do it yourself more than once. I'd like to get something that can last a few years.

NormV
07-30-08, 11:38 PM
Rb/lolly, I order energy suspensions 3.1140 differential carrier bushing for the Saturn Sky from Summit Racing. I'll post up when it comes in about a month. About $28.

http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/newpd1.html

Norm

rand49er
07-31-08, 07:32 AM
Rb/lolly, I order energy suspensions 3.1140 differential carrier bushing for the Saturn Sky from Summit Racing. I'll post up when it comes in about a month. About $28.

http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/newpd1.html

NormThis will work?

How on earth did you even find this?

:worship:

rb1
07-31-08, 08:57 AM
Do you know what the dimensions are? I have the V part to compare....This would be great if it works!

Florian
07-31-08, 09:00 AM
it will never get rid of the clunk, DAMHIK.....its not the cause of it.

F

NormV
07-31-08, 09:19 AM

F

Probably not. There is just too much rubber to replace to get rid of the "thunk" when the rubber compresses. If I roll on it in the middle of a lower gear and roll off there is an audible thunk near the drive shaft and another near the diff area. I think it is just the compression of the rubber. I would only hear this driving aggressively like in an auto cross, not in the normal driving on the street. The diff I have in hand has internal clunk when switching direction as the car would switch from accel or decel.

The poly diff bushing has been a hot one to replace every few years as the rubber does not last. Shit, they even make a special tool for quick changes. :)

Norm

rb1
07-31-08, 09:51 AM
Damhik ?

atdeneve
07-31-08, 12:57 PM

F

From the way you say that, it sounds like you've narrowed it down to a single source ... and have been keeping it a secret for all these years, even after you've moved on to your slushie.

Though I'm certain it's not the case that you've pinpointed it to one specific source, mind sharing what the cause of the clunk is? If it's the already suspected pervasive use of flaccid components, then never mind...

Did you still have clunk after you installed Doug's Traction Package?

Damhik ?

Don't ask me how I know.

rb1
08-22-08, 01:45 PM

I called Luke with the Part# you sent me and he said it was for a V6 STS. Not sure if it's interchangable though. Anyone know?

Bueller
08-22-08, 03:40 PM
Norm,

Let us know when you install this and your thoughts.

Thanks for being the Guinea Pig!

lollygagger8
08-22-08, 03:55 PM
I still have my old diff still that blew up on me....I can get dimensions of where the bushing goes in at. Would that help at all??? I guess I could try getting the old mount out too....but like Bill (ewill) says, it will probably be toast by the time I'm done busting it outta there.

When my old diff broke, my driveshaft bounced up and the rubber boot around the CV joint (where it bolts to the pinion housing) ripped a little bit. (evidenced by the greaeWell I'm thinking, ya ya big deal...$20 boot. WRONG!!! Driveshaft= NON SERVICEABLE. I even bugged Bill @ Lindsay and he confirmed. SO......I finally found a used driveshaft for my V. Installed....and NO CLUNK. WTF??!?! So....I'm thinking the carrier bearing has alot to do with the issue of "the clunk"......maybe I got a driveshaft that was babied? After awhile of getting torqued on, maybe the carrier bearing gets worn out?? IMO

rb1
08-22-08, 07:17 PM
Yah, that would be great! I have a new part, but I need to know if the keyway in the inner aluminum bushing is nessessary and if it can be round instaed of oval. I assume they didn't want it to rotate, but I'm not sure. I would love to replace the inner part with a new round aluminum bushing and urathane. Let me know. If it all works, I can make more...

cawengr
08-23-08, 05:54 PM
If the part number I sent was for a V6 STS it is working well on my V6 CTS Manual. Been about a month and still working well with a tight driveline and NO CLUNK

The Dealer installed it and the OD ID and Length dimensions seem to be the same.

lollygagger8
08-25-08, 02:05 PM
keyhole was made for a reason I'm sure. Ask ewill if it's in there so it won't turn.

ewill3rd
08-29-08, 09:54 PM
I have never been sure why those notches are there. The bolt goes through the middle and that is it, no alignment tabs or anything in there. I haven't a clue.
I have seen guys put them in sideways before, no affect except the bushing doesn't work properly.

m3driver
09-06-08, 01:01 AM
I had mine replaced today. Man the car feels like its brand new.

Marco

rb1
09-08-08, 02:50 PM
I had mine replaced today. Man the car feels like its brand new.

Marco

How did you get it installed? Did the stealership do it with the special tool?