: Certified Cadillac

crusher
07-17-08, 10:53 AM
I'm interested in a certain 2006 STS. Do I have to buy extended "Certified Cadillac" warranty at time of purchase or can I purchase it at another time from ANY dealer? What should I pay for the warranty? I'm sure the price is negotiable.

c5 rv
07-17-08, 11:06 AM
Unlike the GM Protection Plan which you can purchase separately, I believe the CPO warranty is only available from the selling Cadillac dealer, plus the car must pass inspection and have less than 60K miles. My dealer said it costs $1,000 to purchase the CPO warranty from GM. People here have reported retail costs of $1,000 - $2,000 for the CPO warranty.

lreddiablo
07-17-08, 04:22 PM
Cost me $1000, definately worth it, one little thing breaks on this car between 50k and 100k miles and it easily pays for itself. Its better though if you buy from a dealer that doesn't have a team of monkeys running the shop. Certified pre-owned means things should be in presitine condition. They missed simple obvious things on my car such as a broken gas cap, weather seals coming off and blown fuses for the accessory plugs. On top of all that I gave them the TSB for the current software for the Navi and they said it was up to date - Then why wasnt my mag ride control on the first screen idiots. Had to take it to a better dealer to get these things fixed under warranty, now all is good.

Superjim
07-20-08, 11:23 PM
I'm interested in a certain 2006 STS. Do I have to buy extended "Certified Cadillac" warranty at time of purchase or can I purchase it at another time from ANY dealer? What should I pay for the warranty? I'm sure the price is negotiable.

My understanding is that to get the "CERTIFIED CADILLAC" warranty, you must get it at the time of purchase.

I, personally, would not buy a pre owned WITHOUT it. I see people paying $1,200 to $2,000 for it. Most are paying around $1,500.

One trip at the dealer, would MORE than pay for it. There is a LOT of expensive stuff on these cars. :) :)

Texas Jim

DHspring
08-12-08, 11:50 AM
Where are you guys finding GM warranties for as little as $1000-1500? I checked with 2 local Caddy dealers in Houston, and they both first quoted me a local warranty for around $2000-2400 for a 2005 STS? Then I found out why I think, they make more money on the local warranty because they can't mark up the GM warranty which runs around $2000 whereas they can mark up the local warranty. Always a scam it seems. This is for an additional 4 years and 65k miles on top of my 34k now, and I have to buy it before 36k which means I'm doubled up on warranty until my 4th year expires in Feb of 09. If someone knows where I can get the GM warranty for less than 2 grand please let me know. The best deal I found was from Dennis Fichtner in Laurel, Montana of all places!

pjbizjak
08-12-08, 12:41 PM
The vehicle must meet certain criteria befor it can be 'certified', year, mileage. A 'class 1' dealer would charge about $1000 to certify the vehicle.
some others can charge whatever they want. I'm on my third STS v8 and all three have been certified and the only thing I have paid for is oil/lube, brakes and tires. All other work done was covered bumper to bumper.

Cliff8928
08-12-08, 01:19 PM
Man, that's a deal. The 84/100 GMPP that I got on my Oldsmobile was over $2k!

BaTu
08-12-08, 01:50 PM
Yea but,,,,

The CPO is a 2 yr extension that starts when you purchase it I think.

So, if you have a year left on the factory warranty you'd only get an additional yr out of it (that's Alot of money for 1 yr)

Am I right on this???

DHspring
08-12-08, 02:01 PM
Seems to be a lot of confusion on this, apples and oranges comparision also. I did a fair amount of checking around, to buy an extended warranty, I've found dealers offering both independent and GMPP's, they seem to want to offer the independent plans first because I imagine they pocket a few hundred upon sale of the package, whereas the GMPP they don't or it's small fee they get. Secondly, I can buy a GMPP sight unseen by the dealer, I just tell them the mileage, BEFORE 36k miles on my car, after 36k the price goes up, and they sell it, there is no "certification process". From what I've seen, the GMPP is cheaper than the independent plans, but they both are comparable in what is covered, so I prefer GMPP to the independent ones.

BaTu
08-12-08, 02:49 PM
I Totally disagree....

When I purchased an, off-lease '97 STS in 2000, and the factory warranty ran out a year later, I went to the dealership to ask about an extension. I was told their top-of-the-line 2yr would cost me $1,800.

I, instead, purchased a 7yr/100K no deductible, bumper-to-bumper, hotel/rental/road service/etc from a company called Warranty Direct for $1,200. I used Every Bit of that warranty until it ran out a couple of months ago (that's when I purchased my '05 STS4).

I had all repairs done at my local dealership which included an FPR, rack, AC compressor, water pump, radiator, and finally,, the head gaskets late last year (a $3,200 job). They paid to have the engine/trans dropped and the block fully Timeserted (the RIGHT way to do head gaskets)

They paid the dealership with their credit card before I picked-up the car so the dealership didn't have to bill them or anything else than what they would do for a regular paying customer.

Now, when I look at their current rates for my new car, things have gone up some.... ;)

But I guess I understand, repairs are up a ton since '01 and this car is WAY more complicated (AWD/HUD/1SG/ACC and ALL that other stuff :) )

So now, with Full Coverage and No Deductible, it's going to cost @ 3,000 for 5yr/60K (my 11yr old '97 only had 65K on it so I don't put a lot of miles on and the 5/60 will do me fine) BUT that's AFTER the factory is up early next year. So, the 5, on top of the factory 4 gets me a full 9 for the 3K and I have No Doubt THAT'S worth it! :D

lreddiablo
08-12-08, 04:11 PM
Seems like many have the concept of CPO wrong. This is something you can get only at the time of purchase. The dealer is supposed to fully inspect EVERYTHING on the car and make sure it is all top noch. After this it changes the old warranty of 4yr/50k miles to the new GM warranty of 100k miles. It cost $1000 to do my car which seems average. I think tecnically this price is for the inspection and not the warranty, thats just added on. I really doubt you can get your car "certified" unless you do it at time of purchase. The exteneded warranties you guys are talking about that are more expensive and have deductables are a whole other ballgame

BaTu
08-12-08, 05:54 PM
Ok First, No.... The $1000 is what GM charges the dealership for the extension. It's insurance, gambling really, and the "inspection" isn't that complicated. It Must have a good history and have it's "faults" brought up to spec. The reason dealerships would do it for the $1000 is simply to move the car. Extensions are High Markup, VERY profitable, add-ons for them (typically 100%).

The CPO is all about selling used cars (and yes, only the selling dealer can apply and it starts the day you take your car). Don't forget the time limit though,,, you Don't get 100K miles.

My point is, why bother if you're only getting an additional year. Wait for the factory warranty to run out and get the best coverage you can for the longest time. Also there are No Deductible plans available that cover as much as the CPO does as well (even emissions & air bags).

The secret to a good, 3rd party, warranty plan is to get one that lists the items that are Not Covered rather than what is... How are you supposed to know what you're going to need??? The plan I had came with a simple list of non-covered items (belts - hoses - bulbs - brakes - low fluids - battery - filters - tires - trim - chrome - sheet metal - seats/carpet - Like that....) EVERYTHING ELSE was covered.

The thing is, you have to find a dealership that will accept them. They have to call the warranty company because Their the customer. BUT they paid regular prices,,, list + $100/hr labor and they pay before you take your car. Alternatively, you can always pay for the repairs yourself (with prior authorization) and get reimbursed directly.

All-in-all I was Very Happy with Warranty Direct and will purchase another extension when the time comes (yea, that's another thing, your car HAS to be still under the factory coverage when you sign-up so they are sure they aren't taking-on existing problems).

DHspring
08-13-08, 08:06 AM
I think we all agree on one thing, you don't want to own an STS without warranty coverage, there is too many high tech gadgets, electronics and very expensive jazz on these cars not to be covered, I will be buying extended soon.

ansky0007
08-17-08, 09:29 PM
Ok First, No.... The $1000 is what GM charges the dealership for the extension. It's insurance, gambling really, and the "inspection" isn't that complicated. It Must have a good history and have it's "faults" brought up to spec. The reason dealerships would do it for the $1000 is simply to move the car. Extensions are High Markup, VERY profitable, add-ons for them (typically 100%).

The CPO is all about selling used cars (and yes, only the selling dealer can apply and it starts the day you take your car). Don't forget the time limit though,,, you Don't get 100K miles.

My point is, why bother if you're only getting an additional year. Wait for the factory warranty to run out and get the best coverage you can for the longest time. Also there are No Deductible plans available that cover as much as the CPO does as well (even emissions & air bags).

The secret to a good, 3rd party, warranty plan is to get one that lists the items that are Not Covered rather than what is... How are you supposed to know what you're going to need??? The plan I had came with a simple list of non-covered items (belts - hoses - bulbs - brakes - low fluids - battery - filters - tires - trim - chrome - sheet metal - seats/carpet - Like that....) EVERYTHING ELSE was covered.

The thing is, you have to find a dealership that will accept them. They have to call the warranty company because Their the customer. BUT they paid regular prices,,, list + $100/hr labor and they pay before you take your car. Alternatively, you can always pay for the repairs yourself (with prior authorization) and get reimbursed directly.

All-in-all I was Very Happy with Warranty Direct and will purchase another extension when the time comes (yea, that's another thing, your car HAS to be still under the factory coverage when you sign-up so they are sure they aren't taking-on existing problems).

Exactly true... Cost to the dealer is exactly $1000 and after negiotiating the deal on mine I asked them to throw in the certification and they came back with an invoice showing that it cost them $1000 and they would add it for the $1000 to make the deal. Well worth $1000 for Bumper to Bumper extension to $100k miles.

Bro-Ham-Detroit
08-18-08, 01:29 AM
i got a CPO war on my 06 STS with 42k for $1,000. in mich, they tax warrenties. :-(