: The New GTO Sounds: Yummy!

03EscaladeAWD
06-07-03, 04:48 PM
Here are the new sounds of the 2004 Pontiac GTO dual exhausts. The engineers really put a lot of time making this exhaust sound like the old musclecar GTO without taking away from its performance. What do you guys think? I like the GTO a LOT!
This is starting the engine http://media.gm.com/news/releases/images/startstop.mov

And this ones revving it
http://media.gm.com/news/releases/images/short_rev.mov

Night Wolf
06-07-03, 04:55 PM
Wow, I really like that

Only thing is, the starter still sounds like a Nissan

03EscaladeAWD
06-07-03, 11:35 PM
That starter sounds EXACTLY like my Escalade! Even the note right after the start sounds like the escalade. When I first heard that, I could of sworn I was listening to an Escalade!

03EscaladeAWD
06-07-03, 11:36 PM
You guys like this GTO better than the F-body?

elwesso
06-07-03, 11:42 PM
GOLDEN!!!! Only thing is, I bet its really loud even when your just crusing..... IMO a small price to pay!!!

Whats wrong with nissan starters??? ;)

Chuck C
06-08-03, 12:11 AM
give it time...it should grow on people

Brett
06-08-03, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by 03EscaladeAWD
That starter sounds EXACTLY like my Escalade! Even the note right after the start sounds like the escalade. When I first heard that, I could of sworn I was listening to an Escalade!

Thats my big question. If pontiac couldnt sell firebirds, why can they sell this? The GTO business model is alot better than the F-body model, but the whole thing still seems a bit odd.

Katshot
06-08-03, 09:19 AM
They're just trying a different angle. Plus, the GTO is a way better vehicle than the F-body was. I had an F-body (Pontiac Formula) and yes, it was a fun car with a capital "F", but it was put together for Sh%$. It was a rattle-trap, and things had such a cheap feel to them. I still think the GTO being a 2-door is going to hurt it in sales. Although I give GM credit for remaining true to the original 2-door lay-out, they will probably take a hit in sales because of it. That was one thing I always criticized them for with the '94-'96 Impala SS, but I realize that it being a 4-door is one thing that helped it sell.

03EscaladeAWD
06-08-03, 11:16 AM
The mustang had a little more luxury and refinement than any F-body, but the F-body had more performance. People seemed to like luxury better, so GM finally adds some to their Mustang beater, so now the mustang has no advantage, except pricing.

Katshot
06-09-03, 09:39 AM
And the fact that it's still being built ;)

ultravorx
06-09-03, 09:57 AM
I saw a production model of the GTO, its single exhaust, with dual tips!!!! I thought they decided to skimp out out on the dual, unless its being redesigned.
Frank

Brett
06-09-03, 11:08 AM
Its a true dual, with the tips exiting at the same place

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewpressreleasedetail.do?domain=2&docid=732

scourge
06-16-03, 11:56 AM
The New GTO Sounds: Yummy!

Thats because it IS Yummy! :burn:

shaggygrosser
06-16-03, 12:14 PM
I can't wait to see the 2005 GTO. Lutz promised a hood scoop option for those models.

And it might be wishful thinking on my part, but I'd personally like to see stacked headlights like on the '67 GTO.

banstyle
06-16-03, 11:00 PM
I'm honestly ecstatic about this thing. The styling is just right, and they're hooking up a 6-spd gearbox to the V8... something like 5.8L if I remember correctly.

It's gonna be a :shocked2:

03EscaladeAWD
06-19-03, 01:48 PM
I hope in the next redesign they give it stacked headlights. The True GTO has stacked headlights. Maybe give it the ones the CTS has and change it around a little. All these new Pontiacs look like BMWs!!!! The grills should look something like this: |> <| Kinda hard to draw and I dont have a picture. Two triangles on their side where their points meet at the middle. That would look nice with some CTS lights! At least more GTO like.

ultravorx
06-19-03, 02:52 PM
Lutz is a moron, he honestly doesnt know if he is coming or going :crying2: Promises are always made by him for "great new cars", but there ALWAYS dissappointing in the long run :madtalkin .
Plus, when i had my truck and was having major issues with dealers and the truck, i tried talking to Lutz and it got me no where, Absolutely no care for their customers :farting:
Frank

03EscaladeAWD
06-19-03, 05:19 PM
Why does everyone think Lutz is the new Harley Earl? Well, if you really want to impress people Lutz, put the MUSLCE back in DETROIT MUSCLE He seems to be doing a pretty good job with that with the Cadillac 16 and Pontiac GTO. Could you just make them look a little better? There are too many complaints about the 16 and GTO styling. Harley Earl's designs were what the people wanted, like bullet headlights, a LeSabre that looked like a fighter plane, and best of all, the 1959 Eldorado. He did the Viper back in Chrysler, so why is he givin GM that wimpy lookin GTO? (Wimpy to some people) The sixteen looks like it has too much grace to have more horsepower than the fastest car in the world. Make cars no ones ever seen before, with dramatic styling and hearty push rod V8s. Top it off with better reliability and customer service, then you'll be the modern Harley Earl. Until then, Ford and Toyota own the bread and butter cars and Mercedes owns GM's luxury. Kudos to Lutz for puttin SOME muscle back to Detroit. Now to replace every supercharged V6 FWD with a Pushrod V8 RWD. I can't wait for that time to come again. :angel:

scourge
06-19-03, 08:05 PM
I can't wait for that time to come again.

You'll be waiting for an eternity then, so the angel icon is appropriate. Only a minority wants to live in the past and Lutz realizes this. You have to move forward and although enthusiasts might not like what Lutz is doing, enough people to make GM profitable again do. And, thats the market thats going to get atered to.

And trying to contact Lutz directly, failing, and then getting angry about it. Do you have any concept about how silly such an idea is? Try to contact any head of the government or corporation and see if you get a personal reply when an underling can easily take care of your problem.

You people can hate Lutz all you want. But, he is turning GM around and as long as he is making more money for GM....he stays.

03EscaladeAWD
06-20-03, 05:18 PM
I'll move on as long as they start making the "SS" vehicles a V8 or RWD. These V6 and FWD vehicles have got to go. A good future would be fore Lutz to put AWD on their vehicles. Then they would sell. FWD has just got to go cause so many people hate it. RWD seems like a thing of the past.

elwesso
06-20-03, 08:26 PM
You have to understand though..... 75% of the people DONT want gas guzzling V8s and hard to drive in the winter RWD....... Only the car enthusiasts want those things...... Everyone else could care less what kind of drivetrain it had.... as long as they dont have to pour money into it and it gets them where they need to go...... and looks halfway decent at the same time.......

03EscaladeAWD
06-21-03, 01:37 PM
You have to understand though..... 75% of the people DONT want gas guzzling V8s and hard to drive in the winter RWD....... Only the car enthusiasts want those things...... Everyone else could care less what kind of drivetrain it had.... as long as they dont have to pour money into it and it gets them where they need to go...... and looks halfway decent at the same time.......
Solution: AWD option

elwesso
06-22-03, 12:40 AM
But even then.... most people dont care about that..... they would rather have std FWD than have a more expensive AWD.....

What would they need AWD for...... the only people that would use it is people that live in places where they get snow every year...... everyone else it doesnt matter.....

scourge
06-22-03, 06:43 AM
Well, AWD could be touted as a performance or safety enhancement. My Skyline has AWD and it definately helps out performance. Its all about the marketing.

catbert
06-22-03, 01:34 PM
Here are the new sounds of the 2004 Pontiac GTO dual exhausts. The engineers really put a lot of time making this exhaust sound like the old musclecar GTO without taking away from its performance. What do you guys think? I like the GTO a LOT!
This is starting the engine http://media.gm.com/news/releases/images/startstop.mov

And this ones revving it
http://media.gm.com/news/releases/images/short_rev.mov

Sounds better than the Vette LS6 :rolling:

elwesso
06-23-03, 12:42 AM
I guess you can sell anything if you convince people they NEED it!!

themind
01-19-04, 07:45 AM
The reason the cancelled the F-body wasn't as simple as
they weren't selling. The F-body turned a heavy profit
every year after the revamp in the 90s. The issue was
that it wasn't selling well enough to justify the fact that
no other car had a higher rate of driver death in American
sales. Overpowered and underprotected for a price that
a teenager with a middle-class parent could afford. GM
was getting hit HARD in their safety ratings by that car,
so they dropped the line.

IE, why Pontiac has the new GTO, and it looks like Chevy