: Lots of exhaust smoke-95 SLS

kdybread
06-08-04, 02:50 PM
My SLS has about 130,000 miles on it, and it seems to be putting out an abnormally large amount of smoke. It's summer now, and the smoke coming out the pipes is just as noticeable in the warm air as it was in the cold winter and fall air. It's not a thick smoke, but it's a lot of it..and it's not consistent either...any experiences..ideas, suggestions, recommened maintenance?

I bought the car used so I don't know what there maintenance habits were.

growe3
06-08-04, 10:05 PM
:hmm: Need more information.

Has it set any codes?
Is it running rough?
Does the exhaust smell "sweet" or like strong gas fumes?
Does the exhaust smell like burnt oil?
Does it smoke all the time?
Does it smoke only after sitting a awhile?

Need more information.:hmm:
-George

Ranger
06-08-04, 11:38 PM
:hmm: What color is the smoke, white, blueish, black?

BeelzeBob
06-08-04, 11:47 PM
Is the engine hard to start hot or cold???

Is it consuming coolant...do you have to periodically add coolant or get the low coolant message??

kdybread
06-10-04, 03:37 PM
Sorry folks!:banghead:

The smoke is whitish..not thick, and I really haven't taken teh time to smell it yet:helpless: ..and it seems that it smokes more after it sits for a little while (hours). The smoke is noticeable on a pretty regular basis, but I don't really notice it ALL THE TIME...but it does seem weird that I should be seeing that smoke on a warm day or even a cooler day when it's not neccessarily cold

Put it this way...if I'm sitting at the light sometimes, there is enough exhaust being emitted for at least two cars...it's really embarrasing..but I took it through inspection adn there are no emissions problems according to them...

Oh, and no codes come on! However, my service engine light does pop on occasionally for a few hours :hmm:

Lastly, a new problem is that sometimes it takes my ignition a good 4-5 seconds to turnover..it happens randomly...not specifically when it's warm or cold.:hmm:

BeelzeBob
06-11-04, 04:55 PM
If the service engine light is coming on then there HAS to be a code stored. Simultaneously press the off and warmer buttons with the key on until the onboard diagnostics activates and read off the codes as they scroll by.

You didn't say how the engine runs really...or if it is using any coolant.

JohnnyO
06-12-04, 12:21 AM
:coolgleam White smoke means it's burning coolant, usually the sign of a bad head gasket.

BeelzeBob
06-14-04, 12:53 AM
:coolgleam White smoke means it's burning coolant, usually the sign of a bad head gasket.

White smoke can be steam from coolant intrusion...but...more commonly white smoke from the exhaust is a sign of a leaking injector or leaking fuel pressure regulator. Conventional wisdom is that too much fuel makes black smoke....but that only applies if the A/F ratio is very rich but still burnable. When an injector sticks open it usually drowns out that cylinder and the result of all that raw fuel in the exhaust is white smoke.

JohnnyO
06-14-04, 10:41 AM
Conventional wisdom is that too much fuel makes black smoke....but that only applies if the A/F ratio is very rich but still burnable. When an injector sticks open it usually drowns out that cylinder and the result of all that raw fuel in the exhaust is white smoke.

:coolgleam I learn something every day. :cheers:

zod
07-04-04, 07:31 PM
also could be the head gasket

kdybread
08-12-04, 11:05 AM
If the service engine light is coming on then there HAS to be a code stored. Simultaneously press the off and warmer buttons with the key on until the onboard diagnostics activates and read off the codes as they scroll by.

You didn't say how the engine runs really...or if it is using any coolant.

I checked the codes yesterday. The only thing that came up was a "history code" that was P039

Also, at the end it asked me "PCM?"..what the hell does that mean?

Ranger
08-12-04, 12:02 PM
I checked the codes yesterday. The only thing that came up was a "history code" that was P039

Also, at the end it asked me "PCM?"..what the hell does that mean?
PCM? is a prompt asking if you want to enter the PCM mode. From there you can check certain perameters, run tests, clear codes etc.