: Traffic camera blocker

jmyrick
07-15-08, 10:57 PM
Where can I get the license plate covers that block traffic cameras from getting a clear pic of your plate? Are they legal?

hazcaddy
07-16-08, 07:28 AM
Try to catch the episode of Mythbusters where they try about 4 or 5 of these and find that not one of them works as claimed.

dkozloski
07-16-08, 11:43 AM
They will get you a big ticket from a bad tempered traffic cop. The same statute applies as the one about smearing mud on your plate before doing an armed robbery at the local quickstop. Obscuring the plate or rendering it unreadable is prohibited.

cguthrie
07-20-08, 09:47 AM
Bad idea. Very obvious to the man that you are trying to beat the law.

I had them on after DC went with the cameras, and I swear the yellow light times on those lights were reduced by 70%, and thus we picked up a couple tickets in a short amount of time, before I learned to stand on the brake if I saw a yellow. Bad news in this area, is that everyone else will not stop behind you....

Long story short, after having a polite adult discussion with 2 police officers ON BICYCLES after coming out of a 7-11 in Virginia, they handed me a screwdriver and I removed the covers and handed the contraband over. Being extremely polite helped in this case.

I may be getting old, but these days I just try to be the person not getting the ticket, and drive as sanely as possible, most of the time.

They are very obvous to me when I see them on other cars, and if I were a cop, that would definitely be the car I would be pulling over if I had to choose between a few...

CG
2005 1SG