: Disable the SIR

egheorghe
07-15-08, 10:07 PM
How do I Disable and enable the SIR (air bag) system? It's part of the changing radiator process on a '98 Deville.
thank you!

egheorghe
07-16-08, 12:04 PM
i guess if i take out the fuse, it would probably disable it. Is this opption good? Is there another way of disable it?
thanks!

CadillacSTS42005
07-16-08, 12:11 PM
d/c battery
remove fuse
let sit with the lights on for 10 mins *yes with the fuse removed and battery d/c* this will drain any remaining power left in the system
you should be good now

egheorghe
07-16-08, 01:00 PM
is this a way of killing the baterry too?
lights on for 10 min?

CadillacSTS42005
07-16-08, 01:24 PM
if you d/c the battery like i said
then its not going to kill it now will it?

leaving the lights on and the battery d/c drains the residual stored power in all the cars systems...

egheorghe
07-16-08, 03:22 PM
Ooo, I see! Thanks!
Is it necesary to do this? I want to change the radiator. How could this affect the SIR?

Submariner409
07-16-08, 04:31 PM
Right up front in the same area as the radiator is a motion sensor for the airbag system. One wrong jolt or short circuit and "BANG !!!!".

egheorghe
07-16-08, 05:08 PM
wow, but disconecting the baterry, leaving the lights on, taking out the fuse - in this order - should be safe enought, right?
thank you!

Ranger
07-16-08, 10:06 PM
Just remove the fuse and let it set for :10 or :20 min. That's all I did when I pulled the air bag on my daughters '99 SLS to replace a steering wheel button.

egheorghe
07-16-08, 10:41 PM
To enable it, after the job is done, do I just have to put the fuse back on and everything should be set?

egheorghe
07-17-08, 08:19 AM
Last question: How long can it take to change the radiator on a 98 Deville - DYS work?

Ranger
07-17-08, 11:05 AM
To enable it, after the job is done, do I just have to put the fuse back on and everything should be set?
Yes.

tateos
07-17-08, 06:25 PM
Last question: How long can it take to change the radiator on a 98 Deville - DYS work?

Maybe around 2-3 hours

egheorghe
07-19-08, 05:07 PM
i changed it. The most difficult part was to take out the little screw that holds the AC pipe to the radiator. Without the right tool it took me 30 min. to take it out.
Now i have another problem. While i changed the radiator, i took out the battery and now my remote control doesn't work anymore.
I'm not sure what kind of security system i have (i think Viper), but the remote i was using is: FCC ID:EZSDEI476 RPN 476A.
I don't know how to make it work again. The led is not blinking anymore, i can't use the lock/unlock, remote starter options. Remote has 4 buttons and green light.
thanks,

dkozloski
07-20-08, 01:49 AM
That's a problem best left to the guy that installed it, particularly since you don't know the brand and model. By any chance, do you have the manual for the alarm system?

egheorghe
07-20-08, 09:52 AM
It shouldn't be that difficult. The security system is not enable. I know that i have to press the valet button(i don't know how many times)and the lock/unlock button from the remote. Does anyone know how exactly to do it? I don't want to try too many times.
thank you!

egheorghe
07-20-08, 02:41 PM
I got it:
Further details on programming a Viper, Python, or Automate car alarm:
I have an Automate 476A. Directed.com store folks told me it was basically the same as the Viper or Python similar models.... Owners manuals for those are "owners manuals," not "installation manuals." The Automate manual is no longer available due to a lawsuit, they told me.
I tried the technique the guy above (in this forum) said (press valet button 7 times, etc.) Doing that was only part of the story. When I tried it, (and tried it with different numbers of valet button pushes, the results were not satisfactory....)
Then I got a car alarm guy to give me more details.
You have to do a separate programming for each button on your remote.
For me (Automate 476A) it worked like this:
1) Leave door open, dome light on.
2) Key in ignition, to on, but don't start the car
3) Press valet key 6x and hold on the sixth press. Car will beep five times. AFTER it beeps, press your UNLOCK button on your remote. Car will beep recognition. Release both the valet and remote button.
4) Turn off the ignition.
5) Test that button only. Car should unlock.
Now repeat the process, pressing the valet key 5x to program the LOCK button, and 4x to program the AUX button (on my car this is a remote start button).
I didn't proceed to program the panic button, but it must be either 1, 2, 3 or maybe 7 or 8 (etc.) pushes on the valet button.