: Spoiler Installed Today! Updated Subwoofer comments too.

bossplayer
07-15-08, 06:32 PM
Ok, I had the spoiler for about a month and decided to tackle it today.

Done in an hour and a half, trip to the hardware store included.

Also had a 12" Perfect 12 Infinity Subwoofer added about a month ago. Utilizing an 'infinite baffle'. Blew it last week, replaced under warranty... had them put it in a box and wow what a difference. They guy at the store stated I should expect about a 20% increase, but it was closer to 100%.

Infinite baffle would be great, but it obviously doesn't work... yet.
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/born2befly/Cadillac/spoiler/DSC00801.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/born2befly/Cadillac/spoiler/DSC00802-1.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/born2befly/Cadillac/spoiler/DSC00803-1.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/born2befly/Cadillac/spoiler/DSC00798.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/born2befly/Cadillac/spoiler/DSC00799.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/born2befly/Cadillac/spoiler/DSC00800.jpg

shadybx7
07-15-08, 06:41 PM
Also had a 12" Perfect 12 Infinity Subwoofer added about a month ago. Utilizing an 'infinite baffle'. Blew it last week, replaced under warranty... had them put it in a box and wow what a difference. They guy at the store stated I should expect about a 20% increase, but it was closer to 100%.

Infinite baffle would be great, but it obviously doesn't work... yet.

Do you have any pics of your setup? Are you using the stock headunit and amp?

urbanski
07-15-08, 06:44 PM
i'm really diggin those wheels/tires on your car :cool:

CTSV_510
07-15-08, 07:29 PM
:yeah: Your car looks awesome, as usual.

The grass seems to be doing a little better since last I saw... :lol:

bossplayer
07-15-08, 11:06 PM
Do you have any pics of your setup? Are you using the stock headunit and amp?

Stock head unit, yes. Stock amp, no. I had the 12" set up where the original was at first. Blew that one trying to get what I wanted out of it. The amp is a Pioneer 2 Channel (400 Watt?) FD Ice. Supposedly it has the capability to do what is needed as far as converting the signal. And... well... it does.

Here are a few pics though.

I upgraded all of the door speakers to Infinity also.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/born2befly/Cadillac/stereo/DSC00804.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/born2befly/Cadillac/stereo/DSC00809.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/born2befly/Cadillac/stereo/DSC00805.jpg

perfect
07-15-08, 11:11 PM
boss,

you're going to have to show me where you routed all of your power cables

i am itching to install my old system into mine now

you need to hear my new exhaust, we still up for this weekend?

Maximusthefarmer
07-15-08, 11:11 PM
pardon my ignorance...what is the infinte baffle?

On another note, sick V man. I did not think I would like those tires as much as I do. You and one other guy here on the forum have, IMHO, the nicest looking V's on the forum...I normally only like black cars haha.

perfect
07-15-08, 11:13 PM
infinite baffle is where you mount the sub to the rear deck and use the entire trunk as the "box" so to speak

ports can be added, but typically it's a "sealed" enclosure

tdyguy2k
07-15-08, 11:35 PM
Great looking car Boss.

bossplayer
07-15-08, 11:42 PM
Great looking car Boss.

Thank you, and thanks to everyone for the great comments.

BTW the house is being repainted this week so that is why the shutters are off!

Oh, and the subwoofer has different inserts that can be put in it to accommodate different applications. Kind of cool, I had never seen anything like that before, now I have some paperweights.

Maximusthefarmer
07-16-08, 12:51 AM
Gotcha..nothing though that would convince you to go with the open air setup versus the boxed sub right? If you could come close to match the power of a boxed sub and keep all your trunk that would be awesome...I know some people do the spare tire option

Bueller
07-16-08, 01:08 AM
All you need now is a LS6 badge to make it totally rice.

JK (Jealous)

Looks good and nice score on the badge. :thumbsup:

Caditude
07-16-08, 06:37 AM
Looks good. Where did you get the spoiler from?

odla
07-16-08, 06:57 AM
was the sub that you blew a free air sub? i know that kicker makes subs that are for this purpose. Was there not enough base?

bossplayer
07-16-08, 07:55 AM
Looks good. Where did you get the spoiler from?

lol This is a good story. From Ebay, company called the Spoilercompany. They sent me the first one and I looked at it when it arrived while I was inside, looked fine. Looked at it the next day out in the sun and noticed some very small spotting, like a grey or white overspray from another project.

I told them of my discovery and they were very good about it, sent me a replacement spoiler ASAP. They had told me to package the other one and put it outside for pickup. I did, but they never picked up. After contacting them 4 or so more times trying to give them back the other spoiler, I have given up.

Soooo I have another Redline spoiler still that I might just give away or something. :D

Oh, and my trip to the hardware store was to get longer bolts for the spoiler as the ones that come with it are too small. No big deal though.

bossplayer
07-16-08, 07:56 AM
was the sub that you blew a free air sub? i know that kicker makes subs that are for this purpose. Was there not enough base?

It was the same kind of subwoofer, and no, not enough for me. :halo: For most people, uh, yeah, was probably enough.

lollygagger8
07-16-08, 08:31 AM
I've been thinking about getting a spoiler from those guys. How well did the paint match up on the 2nd one? What size bolts did you use instead of the ones that came with the kit? And if you don't give the old one away, how much do you want for the old spoiler? :devil: <- I'd have to get it painted though

Car looks awesome!! You and SkullV are sporting red walls! Pretty Cool

ssmith100
07-16-08, 11:50 AM
There are ways to add to the factory system or replace and still keep most of your trunk. I did a JL 12w6v2 "sealed enclosure" and only lost seven inches of trunk space. It does take some work tough.

See thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/133152-stereo-complete-new-pics.html

Shane

tlsmeds
07-16-08, 01:05 PM
There are ways to add to the factory system or replace and still keep most of your trunk. I did a JL 12w6v2 "sealed enclosure" and only lost seven inches of trunk space. It does take some work tough.

See thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/133152-stereo-complete-new-pics.html

Shane

Does the factory navi radio have audio pre-outs in the back or how do you solve that problem with factory radio? I have been wanting to add something to the V in the form of subs and amps. The previous owner upgraded the speakers already but I need some boom!!!:yup:

bossplayer
07-16-08, 02:03 PM
Does the factory navi radio have audio pre-outs in the back or how do you solve that problem with factory radio? I have been wanting to add something to the V in the form of subs and amps. The previous owner upgraded the speakers already but I need some boom!!!:yup:

This amp has some special kind of deal in it that solves this problem, the other way to go about it is to get a special converter type of thing that costs about $250... but I can never remember the name of it. :hmm:

ssmith100
07-16-08, 02:15 PM
The factory NAV doesn't have pre-out's on the back. Most amplifiers today will take the high level signal out of the bose amp into there speaker level inputs. With the JL Audio amplifiers you can basically take the signal out of the Bose, cut the ends off a set of RCA's, attach to the Bose speaker outputs and plug into the low level inputs of the JL amp. Any adjustable line out converter ($20.00) will do the same. I would imagine that's what they used in Bossplayer's car.

Now, to actually take the signal out of the Bose amp and level it, you will have to buy a device like the CleanSweep, R/F 360.1 or Audio Control DQL-8.
I had all three of these at one time or another and liked the Audio Control better.

There are numerous threads that cover these issues.

Shane

perfect
07-16-08, 02:17 PM
This amp has some special kind of deal in it that solves this problem, the other way to go about it is to get a special converter type of thing that costs about $250... but I can never remember the name of it. :hmm:

there are three options if you wish to keep the factory head unit (navi):

1) purchase an amp like bossplayers that will tap into the rear subwoofers signal cables and use those signals to amplify.
cost: price of an amp

2) purchase a Line Out Converter (LOC) from Scosche or PAX that will convert the radio's high level signals to appropriate RCA low level signals
cost: $20-50 depending on quality

3) purchase a JL clean sweep or Rockford Fosgate 360 that is basically a more hardcore LOC as seen in #2 (see ssmith100's thread above)

lollygagger8
07-16-08, 02:25 PM
Ok, how much was the amp then? Was it > $250?

perfect
07-16-08, 02:36 PM
lolly,

he PM'ed me earlier and said the amp was $400

Civardi
07-16-08, 03:12 PM
I really need to do this upgrade. My 4Runner has more bass than the V. Just one more thing on the evergrowing to do list.

bossplayer
07-16-08, 05:31 PM
The factory NAV doesn't have pre-out's on the back. Most amplifiers today will take the high level signal out of the bose amp into there speaker level inputs. With the JL Audio amplifiers you can basically take the signal out of the Bose, cut the ends off a set of RCA's, attach to the Bose speaker outputs and plug into the low level inputs of the JL amp. Any adjustable line out converter ($20.00) will do the same. I would imagine that's what they used in Bossplayer's car.

Now, to actually take the signal out of the Bose amp and level it, you will have to buy a device like the CleanSweep, R/F 360.1 or Audio Control DQL-8.
I had all three of these at one time or another and liked the Audio Control better.

There are numerous threads that cover these issues.

Shane

That is what it is called! Clean Sweep.... I won't remember this tomorrow, it is like my brain can't remember these two words put together. The amp supposedly serves the same function as CleanSweep.

tlsmeds
07-16-08, 05:57 PM
That is what it is called! Clean Sweep.... I won't remember this tomorrow, it is like my brain can't remember these two words put together. The amp supposedly serves the same function as CleanSweep.

Thanks guys for all of the advice on how to add an amp to the V. I have a pretty nice system in my boat, JL audio, Focals, Alpine PDX, and it has pretty much spoiled me, so every time I get in the V, I just grit my teeth...

Boss, you car looks great with the new spoiler and everything else you have done to it! Class act all the way!

AlmostAV
07-17-08, 12:17 AM
Clean

1badassv
07-17-08, 01:20 AM
looks good
:thumbsup: