: Powdercoating Accessory Wheels

CtsVrod
07-15-08, 06:03 PM
So I picked up some Cadi Accessory Wheels (Thanks Rick!) and Im planning on having them Powdercoated... But I cant make up my Mind on which color. I originally planned on Black Chrome, Then Anthracite/Gunmetal, then Gunmetal Chrome, then Semi Gloss Black, then Flat Black... on and on and on, my Girlfriend is going to kill me! What do you guys think? I have yet to see a V with Powdercoated Access. Wheels, so I have no Idea how it will look. Let me know what color you think will look best! :thumbsup:

BTW my Car is Plat. Silver...

gfourth
07-15-08, 06:10 PM
Semi-gloss black FTW!!

I plan on doing the same to my platinum. It will match all the black trim on the car nicely.

LUVMY04V
07-15-08, 06:25 PM
Black chrome.

they will look better than this!!!!
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/brentman2006/DSCF0194-1.jpg?t=1216157082

CtsVrod
07-15-08, 06:49 PM
Black chrome.

they will look better than this!!!!

Its soo hard to see the "Black Chrome" in Pics, I dont think it even comes close to what it looks like in person... Part of the reason I keep debating color. I like how the accessory wheels reflect the light when polished though, but I just want them darker!!

LUVMY04V
07-15-08, 06:56 PM
Its soo hard to see the "Black Chrome" in Pics, I dont think it even comes close to what it looks like in person... Part of the reason I keep debating color. I like how the accessory wheels reflect the light when polished though, but I just want them darker!!
black chrome is your only answer then :cool2:

CTSV_Rob
07-15-08, 07:01 PM
:yeah:

CTSV_Rob
07-15-08, 07:02 PM
If your going to powder coat them have you thought about widening the rears?

That's what I was thinging of doing before I got the CCW's with the wider rears. Still thinking about powder coating them though.

CtsVrod
07-15-08, 07:07 PM
If your going to powder coat them have you thought about widening the rears?

That's what I was thinging of doing before I got the CCW's with the wider rears. Still thinking about powder coating them though.

I actually didnt even think about it... Now you got me thinking :bonkers: But I think its a bit too pricey for me, I would rather Sell my OE set, and buy some CCW's.. :cool:

CTSV_Rob
07-15-08, 07:21 PM
I belive it's only about $300 ea to widen them so you would still be cheaper then the CCW's. I have seen the widened wheels too, you can't even tell they have been modified.

CtsVrod
07-15-08, 07:25 PM
I belive it's only about $300 ea to widen them so you would still be cheaper then the CCW's. I have seen the widened wheels too, you can't even tell they have been modified.

Thats actually not too bad... I was planning on turning the OE wheels into the "Track Day" wheels anyway, so If I go that route it will be with those.. Then im going to have to get those powdercoated as well!! :crybaby:

AlmostAV
07-15-08, 07:29 PM
This shows the black chrome nicely.

CtsVrod
07-15-08, 07:43 PM
This shows the black chrome nicely.

Very Clean! I'm def liking that look...

Keys8541
07-15-08, 08:54 PM
i didnt wash my car for 4 weeks after a cross country road trip. i moved into a new development with no pavement so my wheels were filthy. honestly though they turned out be so filthy it looked like it was a flat black. i have a silver V as well and imo you should go with flat black. im doing it in a month.

Twitch
07-15-08, 10:45 PM
Tough choice.I wouldn't go with flat or glossy black.
This is the pic that convinced me to powdercoat mine. I call it brakedust grey. :cool:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j177/Gxxr1/DSC06113.jpg

CTSV_Rob
07-15-08, 10:49 PM
Nice color Twitch.

thebigjimsho
07-15-08, 11:30 PM
This is the pic that convinced me to powdercoat mine. I call it brakedust grey. :cool:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j177/Gxxr1/DSC06113.jpgThe only time I've ever seen accessory wheels that I liked were those brake dust covered ones at V-day...

Maximusthefarmer
07-16-08, 12:19 AM
I say the Gunmetal/Anthracite semi-gloss...which is I think close to the brakedust grey haha..I almost went that route myself...but I think gloss black would be too dark as would black chrome for a lighter car...and I would stay away from flat anything..another almost route for me but I think its the wrong look for a cadillac...

course a lot of people would say chrome 20's are the wrong look also but hey..just my .02..should be sick either way

CtsVrod
07-16-08, 12:31 AM

Wow, I really like the look of that! Did you already get it done, have any pics??

Twitch
07-16-08, 07:34 AM
Wow, I really like the look of that! Did you already get it done, have any pics??
Not yet. I'll do it in the winter, when I have my winter gear on. Also thinking about going wider,,,,after reading this thread :thumbsup:

lollygagger8
07-16-08, 09:38 AM
Ya Twitch's pic looks perfect......not too dark, not too shiny but like a satin finish. Looks great on the platinum silver!

Twitch
07-16-08, 12:35 PM
Ya Twitch's pic looks perfect......not too dark, not too shiny but like a satin finish. Looks great on the platinum silver!
Still not sure if I should do something shiny, flat or in between.

CtsVrod
07-16-08, 02:20 PM
Still not sure if I should do something shiny, flat or in between.

Yea same here... Im thinking either the "Satin Finish" or a Semi Gloss...

thebigjimsho
07-16-08, 02:24 PM
If you do the gunmetal on a Platinum V, I think you can do flat. Otherwise, always go with straight color, no gloss, no flat...

BrianTX
07-16-08, 03:29 PM
I vote for leaving the rims as they are: I have them as well and love the look. :)

CtsVrod
07-16-08, 06:36 PM
I vote for leaving the rims as they are: I have them as well and love the look. :)

I thought of that as well, and I do like the look of them already, but want something a little different, and I really like the look of the Darker Wheels. That's why I was leaning towards the black chrome, until Twitch Showed Up... Now Im leaning toward Gunmetal/Anthracite. Decisions Decisions.....

LUVMY04V
07-16-08, 06:37 PM
I thought of that as well, and I do like the look of them already, but want something a little different, and I really like the look of the Darker Wheels. That's why I was leaning towards the black chrome, until Twitch Showed Up... Now Im leaning toward Gunmetal/Anthracite. Decisions Decisions.....black chrome will come out like a shiny gunmetal :yup: best of both worlds

CtsVrod
07-16-08, 07:15 PM
black chrome will come out like a shiny gunmetal :yup: best of both worlds

Yea thats what I was kinda thinking as well... Im going to check out some samples at the Powdercoater when I drop off the wheels, and Ill make my final choice then, hopefully thats really soon!!

BTW if anyone is looking for some Accessory Wheels I found a set going for pretty cheap on Ebay - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=&item=320275051139

AlmostAV
07-16-08, 09:29 PM
when black chrome gets dirty it looks awesome too (cuts the shine away, and makes them look gunmetal if you will. So they look sweet dirty and clean.

DRKSIDE
07-17-08, 12:33 AM
If you like the look of the wheels when they are dirty... why not just keep them dirty? Would save a few hundred dollars.

But if you are going to powdercoat them, at least do it in a color that you can tell if they are clean. Anything else is... well, lazy!

CtsVrod
07-17-08, 06:20 PM
If you like the look of the wheels when they are dirty... why not just keep them dirty? Would save a few hundred dollars.

But if you are going to powdercoat them, at least do it in a color that you can tell if they are clean. Anything else is... well, lazy!

Good Point.. Im gonna check out the samples at the Powdercoater to make my Final Choice, but as of right now Im going with the Black Chrome. I figure it looks very close to the Gunmetal, but still has a good shine to it, and like it was said above - They'll look cool when clean, and Cool when dirty!

justin311
07-18-08, 11:18 AM
Not to be a thread hijacker, but I gots to know where to get one of those spoilers on the black V in the picture above. Does anyone know? I'm not a fan of the lipped deck lid. Would appreciate any info.

justin311
07-18-08, 11:29 AM
The spoiler on this black V. Where do you get it?

whisler151
07-18-08, 11:34 AM
The spoiler on this black V. Where do you get it?

They are all over ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-CTS-03-07-OEM-Factory-Style-Rear-Wing-Spoiler_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33638QQihZ015QQ itemZ250271905865QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

justin311
07-18-08, 11:44 AM
It's the stock CTS spiler egh. Looks good.

Bueller
07-18-08, 11:44 AM
Just a heads up...When I talked to a powdercoater he told me that sometimes when you do the Black Chrome you can still see any scratch or blem because it is a different thickness in those areas. The same thing can happen on any tight area like the lug holes. You don't notice it as much without the shine or metal in the mix.

Of course your powdercoater may be better than he was. Good luck.

The Tony Show
07-18-08, 11:53 AM
It's the stock CTS spiler egh. Looks good.

The stock spoiler sits flush on the decklid- that's an aftermarket one made by Sportwing.

LUVMY04V
07-18-08, 11:54 AM
Just a heads up...When I talked to a powdercoater he told me that sometimes when you do the Black Chrome you can still see any scratch or blem because it is a different thickness in those areas. The same thing can happen on any tight area like the lug holes. You don't notice it as much without the shine or metal in the mix.

Very true if you look close my lug holes are lighter on the inside but you cant tell from more than 2 feet away :D

the reason is that it is a transparent color. But also polished rims are the perfect candidate for this color because the shine will show through ;) . That is why in my first post i said "They will look better than this"

If the powdercoater is good they should look AWESOME!

CtsVrod
07-18-08, 12:12 PM
Very true if you look close my lug holes are lighter on the inside but you cant tell from more than 2 feet away :D

the reason is that it is a transparent color. But also polished rims are the perfect candidate for this color because the shine will show through ;) . That is why in my first post i said "They will look better than this"

Cool... The Powdercoater Is VERY good.. He does Exile Choppers, Jay Leno's Vehicles, etc. So Im sure it will come out perfect... Here's his site if you wanna check it out - http://www.powdercoater.com/home.html

justin311
07-18-08, 12:24 PM
The stock spoiler sits flush on the decklid- that's an aftermarket one made by Sportwing.

Is Sportwing a good company? Good product?

thebigjimsho
07-18-08, 01:44 PM

Cool... The Powdercoater Is VERY good.. He does Exile Choppers, Jay Leno's Vehicles, etc. So Im sure it will come out perfect... Here's his site if you wanna check it out - http://www.powdercoater.com/home.htmlI asked my powdercoater here in the Northeast about doing black chrome on my wheels. He was willing to try it but he was skeptical on how they'd turn out.

And these guys are good...

LUVMY04V
07-18-08, 02:26 PM
I asked my powdercoater here in the Northeast about doing black chrome on my wheels. He was willing to try it but he was skeptical on how they'd turn out.

And these guys are good...
Their bike gallery is very nice ;)

LUVMY04V
07-18-08, 02:28 PM
This was on their gallery it looks black chrome to me

http://www.powdercoater.com/gallery/car/wheels/images/2.jpg

DRKSIDE
07-18-08, 03:18 PM
This was on their gallery it looks black chrome to me

Yup, looks like it.

My local shop said they don't stock that color (black chrome) and it would be an additional $75 per wheel to get it done.

Still searching for the place to get mine done.

The Tony Show
07-18-08, 03:24 PM
Is Sportwing a good company? Good product?

They're average. The biggest factor with any spoiler is how well it's prepped and painted. If possible get a primed one and have it painted at a good shop, that way you know it's good paint and cleared. Most "prepainted" parts on eBay are going to be shot with the crappiest, cheap paint they can find to keep the cost down. A year or two in the sun and it'll look like hell.

justin311
07-18-08, 03:35 PM
They're average. The biggest factor with any spoiler is how well it's prepped and painted. If possible get a primed one and have it painted at a good shop, that way you know it's good paint and cleared. Most "prepainted" parts on eBay are going to be shot with the crappiest, cheap paint they can find to keep the cost down. A year or two in the sun and it'll look like hell.

I figured that much. When you pay like 89 bucks for a painted spoiler you begin to think. I just like the look. I will definately ask for a unpainted.

CtsVrod
07-18-08, 04:57 PM
Their bike gallery is very nice ;)

Yea you found the Exile Bikes eh :yup:

Yup, looks like it.

My local shop said they don't stock that color (black chrome) and it would be an additional $75 per wheel to get it done.

Still searching for the place to get mine done.

He actually has the Black Chrome in stock.. and says that is what he thinks will look best, and has guaranteed the quality to be TOP NOTCH. So I guess we'll see. He's charging me 130 a wheel, which Includes Fixing the 2 wheels that have curb rash, matching the lug caps, and dismounting the tires... I sent him over pics as well, and he's very excited to do the job. Just waiting for the wheels to show up....

CtsVrod
07-21-08, 10:51 PM
Ok The Wheels are Here! (and so are the Rear FG2's yay!) They are headed off to the powdercoater Tomorrow... But after seeing Lunarx's ride at the meet yesterday I've switched it up yet again, and thinking of going more Anthracite/Gunmetal with a Satin Finish... I guess I wont have to drive myself crazy much longer, but I wont know for sure until its done! Wish me Luck....

Twitch
07-22-08, 07:52 AM
Ok The Wheels are Here! (and so are the Rear FG2's yay!) They are headed off to the powdercoater Tomorrow... But after seeing Lunarx's ride at the meet yesterday I've switched it up yet again, and thinking of going more Anthracite/Gunmetal with a Satin Finish... I guess I wont have to drive myself crazy much longer, but I wont know for sure until its done! Wish me Luck....
Good choice :highfive:

pveomett
07-22-08, 09:44 AM
It sounds like you've all ready got your mind made up, but what about real black chrome? Black chrome is a plating that is applied in a proccess of dipping, not spraying with powder and baking. The black chrome would have a much better shine if it was dipped instead of sprayed.

Just my .02

Twitch
07-22-08, 10:16 AM
It sounds like you've all ready got your mind made up, but what about real black chrome? Black chrome is a plating that is applied in a proccess of dipping, not spraying with powder and baking. The black chrome would have a much better shine if it was dipped instead of sprayed.

Just my .02
I like the gunmetal. Black crome is more bling, and you already have that with the polished rims. It'll just be a little different. The gunmetal gives it a more aggressive look. IMHO, black chrome is more show, while the gunmetal is all go. :sneaky:

jr65
07-22-08, 02:00 PM
I have 60% shine black powdercoat on my stock cts-v wheels. Looks awsome on my red cadi!!!!! It cost me $500 all four.

1FASTSS
07-31-08, 04:54 PM
Go with the gunmetal and don't look back...they'll look awesome. That is the plan for my plat. V

CtsVrod
07-31-08, 05:34 PM
Go with the gunmetal and don't look back...they'll look awesome. That is the plan for my plat. V

Already done... should be picking up the wheels today.. Ill snap some pics once there finished

LUVMY04V
07-31-08, 05:43 PM
I have 60% shine black powdercoat on my stock cts-v wheels. Looks awsome on my red cadi!!!!! It cost me $500 all four.
POST PICS!!!

Civardi
07-31-08, 07:42 PM
:postpics:

SkullV
07-31-08, 07:43 PM
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb102/rockyrubicon/Rims.jpg

On1Wheel
08-06-08, 12:33 AM
Why are they called accessory wheels?

thebigjimsho
08-06-08, 12:48 AM
Why are they called accessory wheels?Because they don't come that way from the factory. But available direct from GM.