: Who actually designed the Northstar what's his name?

cruzajc1
06-08-04, 11:50 AM
Does anyone know him?

Anthony Cipriano
06-08-04, 01:31 PM
I know OF him. There were a lot of people that had input on the Northstar engine and there was a design team that really did all the detail final design but if you were to point out one person who had the absolute most influence on the design of the engine it would be Ken Shier. He was a Cadillac engine development engineer and designer that figured heavily in the HT4100 engine and then the Northstar. Ken has been retired for a number of years but we still keep in touch with him as to the status of his "baby".

cruzajc1
06-08-04, 02:17 PM
Great! Does he have any advice on perfomance upgrades? Also, did you have any input on this engine? I don't know if you worked at Cadillac, I only know you always have the answers:) When you talk to him, let him know how happy I am with my 96 STS:) 104K miles at Moody Air Force Base, Georgia.

v/r

Gus

cruzajc1@aol.com
229-249-0062

Anthony Cipriano
06-08-04, 11:55 PM
I'm just a hands-on enthusiast, really..

Great! Does he have any advice on perfomance upgrades? Also, did you have any input on this engine? I don't know if you worked at Cadillac, I only know you always have the answers:) When you talk to him, let him know how happy I am with my 96 STS:) 104K miles at Moody Air Force Base, Georgia.

v/r

Gus

cruzajc1@aol.com
229-249-0062

RocketFast321
06-18-04, 08:59 PM
I heard that it's first name was the quad 8

majax
06-18-04, 10:53 PM
Thats really interesting about the Quad8. So why was it named Northstar and give my thanks to Ken I love his baby Ill have her home by 10.

Anthony Cipriano
06-21-04, 12:10 AM
The "Quad 8" had absolutely nothing to do with the Northstar engine. Remember, the Quad 4 engine had a cast iron block. It wasn't even all aluminum.

The heads on a Quad 4 are very different from a Northstar head. The bore centers of the engines are totally different, etcetera. Other than the obvious fact that both are 4 valve engines there is little or nothing in common between the Quad 4/Quad 8 and the Northstar.