: Car sounds rougher when turning on and off?

IceDigger
07-14-08, 05:36 PM
I have had this really strange problem the past week. When I turn the car on and off it sounds rougher then usual, not too much but noticeable. Any idea what this could be?

I have a 2005 ctsv with lingenfelter cai, bm short shifter, and a magnaflow exhaust.

Luna.
07-14-08, 05:42 PM
Mine sounds rougher when shutting it down, but not starting up. I have no idea what the roughness relates to though... :confused:

Kmajecki
07-14-08, 05:45 PM
Isn't this usually the first sign people notice when the motor mounts are on their way out? Mine had that diesel like sound when shutting off when the mounts when bad. Good excuse to get the UUC mounts!

CtsVrod
07-14-08, 05:46 PM
Like its Dieseling?? Kinda turns over a few times after it shuts down? Mine does this as well, not too bad though, I've heard replacing the Motor Mounts helps this a bit, but its just part of having a V :thumbsup:

smoothq
07-14-08, 05:59 PM
99% percent sure that would be your motor mounts mine went out and so did many others. This is a very common problem with these cars maybe time to upgrade :)

Kmajecki
07-14-08, 06:07 PM
Yea i just wish there was an upgrade available when mine went out! Although with my cam im sure it wont be long before i'll need new mounts again.

ROG
07-14-08, 06:12 PM
Could someone please explain to me how motor mounts cause dieseling.

Civardi
07-14-08, 06:16 PM

:mystery:

AlmostAV
07-14-08, 06:23 PM
vibrations being sent down the motor because of the lack of fluid in the motor mount (most of them crack open)...i believe causes this.....not 100% tho.

rand49er
07-14-08, 06:30 PM
... it sounds rougher then usual ..."Rougher" isn't enough description for me. If you mean shaking the car, then motor mounts may be going bye-bye.

IceDigger
07-14-08, 06:53 PM
Yea, almost like a shaking.

Would that be covered under the warranty?

trukk
07-14-08, 08:22 PM

It doesn;t cause deisleing, it just feels like it. It was the easiest way to describe it when my first set of mounts went sound 2.5 years ago.

I've had the UUC mounts on the car for about 3 months now, with no issues.

If you have bad mounts perfect time to replace them with the Poly based UUC's.

Call luke@lindsay for a price.

-Chris

mcfaddens17
07-15-08, 01:54 AM
Definately sounds like mounts. Very common problem with our cars. Have them check your diff bushings when you take it in. Depending on your mileage, their probably shot too. Should be no problem getting them fixed under warranty. Had my mounts done last month. Bushings last winter. Good luck.

IceDigger
07-15-08, 07:24 AM
Thanks guys, taking her into the dealer today.

IceDigger
07-15-08, 06:39 PM
Dealer called me back and found a couple things wrong with the car.

One of the motor mounts was cracked and is getting replaced.

The rear axle was leaking fluid so they are patching that up and putting more fluid in since they say it barely had any left.

They also told me my front rotors are going to need replacing soon for $600 for the rotors and brake pads.

Everything is under warranty except the brake pads and rotors. I told them not to do that though.

Sounds like a really steep price for the rotors/pads and installation. Should I take to my regular mechanic to get that done for im guessing alot cheaper or should I have them do it?

IceDigger
07-16-08, 09:59 AM
Anybody?

CTSV_510
07-16-08, 10:13 AM
They also told me my front rotors are going to need replacing soon for $600 for the rotors and brake pads.

Everything is under warranty except the brake pads and rotors. I told them not to do that though.

Sounds like a really steep price for the rotors/pads and installation. Should I take to my regular mechanic to get that done for im guessing alot cheaper or should I have them do it?

$600 for front rotors and pads? :nono: Rotors are around $100 each and front set of pads are also about $100. $300 in labor for just front brake work is out of line. Call Luke and get the parts from him and either do the work yourself or take it to you regular mechanic.

"Need replacing soon" is something I've heard all too often. That could mean you need them in the next 6 months to 1 year. If it was urgent, he'd tell you that you need them asap, so he's probably just giving you a heads up.

Twitch
07-17-08, 02:35 PM
See what it costs to do it somewhere else. If its only $100 cheaper, you may want to bring it to the dealer. If they see you bring them all your work, they're likely to take better care of your V. You'll be seeing more of them, so build a relationship.

PS maybe you can upgrade to the cross-drilled rotors. Its only for looks though.

CadzillaTN
07-18-08, 01:30 AM
I got a quote from the dealer on the stock Ferodo pads alone and it was $300 total. You factor that in plus rotor turn or replace, plus labor, 600 is on the high end but not ridiculous. My dealer quoted $500 with just a rotor turn.
Mine is in for a mount and diff replace. I wish I had read about these bushings before I had taken it in.
I wonder if they will notice and replace if bad. Probably not..

Twitch
07-18-08, 08:39 AM
Picked up my car last night. Usually they only do the one that's broken. My dealer ordered two motor mounts for me before I even took the car to him. After all this time I guess he realized I know what I'm talking about.
Shut down was never too bad, but its nice now.
When I first started the car, the exhaust sounded kinda quiet...hmmm. I realised that is because its so much smoother with the new mopunts. I don't feel the car rumble anymore. I'm a little bummed, cuz I loved the way it started up. I'd turn the key, and the whole car would "jump" to a big BROOM! Like a beast coming back to life. I loved that! :bouncy:
Oh well.....
Overall the V is better now.

Tony

trukk
07-18-08, 01:09 PM
I got a quote from the dealer on the stock Ferodo pads alone and it was $300 total. You factor that in plus rotor turn or replace, plus labor, 600 is on the high end but not ridiculous. My dealer quoted $500 with just a rotor turn.
Mine is in for a mount and diff replace. I wish I had read about these bushings before I had taken it in.
I wonder if they will notice and replace if bad. Probably not..

Just and FYI,

I wouldn't expect a rotor turn. Our rotors are fairly thin, and I haven't heard of anyone sucessfully turning them yet. Factor in new rotors in your price. I just installed my 3rd set of front rotors at 74k miles.

-Chris

CadzillaTN
07-18-08, 10:38 PM
wow, thats some serious braking bro. I have heard of others turning them more than once but I assume its all about driving style. They didn't turn my fronts but did rears, which defies most brake logic but I didnt ask any questions. Coincidentally the back squeaks sometimes but fronts never do. Also, ref above, my dealer replaced the diff bushing. They come with the new diff...