: I think the differential is going, need help???

dbarnard67
07-14-08, 05:04 PM
Ok everyone, I am hearing a little growling or like grinding/rubbing going on up front of my truck. I believe it to be the front differential. Is this what they sound like, also am heading out on a trip for about 1100 miles one way. Should I get it worked on now or when I get back. I only notice it once I have driven 30 minutes or so, can I just rebuild this one or is there somewhere you could recommend to get a replacement? Also could it just be the bearings in the back by the spline. I have already replaced the fluid and no change. thanks.

hcvone
07-15-08, 07:23 AM
Sounds like the bearings are going, you can get yours rebuilt, the sooner the better or you may need more parts.

dbarnard67
07-15-08, 11:13 PM
Ok, called around about the bearings, guy said he could rebuild it for half the cost on a 3.42 gear ratio instead of 3.73. Will this hurt anything if I do this???

blazen244
07-20-08, 10:22 PM
:hmm:I just recentley starting having the same issues with the front diff. atfer driving from MD. to NC. After getting there it was fine until I drove to SC, back home now and it seems to only happen after long trips on the highway is this going to get worse or is it as bad as is't going to get? Oh yeah how do I know what gear ratio I have the truck is a 2002 Lade not EXT or ESV

hcvone
07-21-08, 06:47 AM
Ok, called around about the bearings, guy said he could rebuild it for half the cost on a 3.42 gear ratio instead of 3.73. Will this hurt anything if I do this???

You would need to have both diffs done if you want to switch to 3.42's, and yes 3.42's are cheaper because no one wants them. ;)