: Electronic Parking Brake Info

Cadillac Tony
07-14-08, 10:03 AM
Due to the lack of any exciting new information, I'm reduced to posting anything V related I can get my hands on, even if it's parking brake. :lol:

Seriously though- I've seen a few questions about this, so when I came across this info today I figured I'd share with the class.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn208/Cadillac_Tony/brake.jpg

Kind of neat that it wil automatically disengage if an attempt is made to accelerate, which means it can be used for hill start assist on steep inclines to avoid roasting the clutch.

I know it's not much, but it's all I've got today that's V related. :)

CIWS
07-14-08, 10:42 AM
Thanks Tony. All info is good to read about. :)

lusterblade
07-14-08, 10:59 AM
I'll add some info too.
Tap Shift

http://lh6.ggpht.com/LusterBlade/SHtplx4v8vI/AAAAAAAACes/43NA3qR7oAU/s144/2003878.JPG

To use Tap Shift, the shift lever must be in Manual Mode. Vehicles with this feature have switches on the back of the steering wheel. Tap the left switch to downshift, and the right switch to upshift.

The tachometer display on the instrument panel cluster will show which gear the vehicle is in and a number indicating the requested gear range when moving the shift lever forward or rearward. See Speedometer and Odometer for more information on the odometer.

CTS-V vehicles use tracer lights around the outside of the tachometer as a performance up-shift light. These tracers flash to indicate when to shift to the next higher gear to avoid the engine speed limit. See Tachometerfor more information.

While using the Tap Shift feature, the vehicle will have firmer, quicker shifting for increased performance. You can use this for sport driving or when climbing or descending hills, to stay in gear longer, or to down shift for more power or engine braking.

The transmission will only allow you to shift into gears appropriate for the vehicle speed and engine Revolutions Per Minute (RPM). The transmission will not automatically shift to the next lower gear if the engine RPM is too high.

If shifting is prevented for any reason, the currently selected gear will flash multiple times, indicating that the transmission has not shifted gears.

While in the Tap Shift mode, the transmission will not automatically downshift on hard acceleration.

When accelerating your vehicle from a stop in snowy and icy conditions, you may want to shift into second gear. A higher gear ratio allows you to gain more traction on slippery surfaces.

lawfive
07-14-08, 11:20 AM
DIC warning

lol...

lawfive
07-14-08, 11:22 AM
Stock shift light. Nice.

CIWS
07-14-08, 11:33 AM
Stock shift light. Nice.

Here was a static display of the 09V gauge cluster.

XZrVhdAJj6E

urbanski
07-14-08, 11:59 AM
:drool:

FrgMstr
07-14-08, 01:53 PM
Feeling better and better about the automatic all the time.

StealthV
07-14-08, 11:45 PM
How does one adjust the EPB system to allow for lining wear?

Slushbox: The transmission the V needed back in '04.

^^^ Can't believe I just typed that. :hide:

Someone hacked my account.

the cadillac kid
07-15-08, 01:06 AM
Thanks Tony. All info is good to read about. :)

+1, thanks C.T.

RightTurn
07-15-08, 07:47 AM

Well, you're over 40 now after all. Time for the plaid pants. :coffee:

lawfive
07-15-08, 01:46 PM
How does one adjust the EPB system to allow for lining wear?

Push the button harder.

Someone hacked my account.

Ha! Must search for all previous "LawFive: I'm getting the auto..." StealthV: "Slushie slush sucky slushbox pop tart..." posts.

Kadonny
07-15-08, 03:53 PM
Great info Tony, love the built in shift light.

While on the subject, any info on the keyless entry and start system? Did you say the start will be a turn instead of a push? Also, will we get remote start? No info on the 09V page of Cadillac, maybe I should check Reeds site.

Rich H
07-15-08, 08:38 PM
I'll add some info too.
Tap Shift

The transmission will only allow you to shift into gears appropriate for the vehicle speed and engine Revolutions Per Minute (RPM). The transmission will not automatically shift to the next lower gear if the engine RPM is too high.

If shifting is prevented for any reason, the currently selected gear will flash multiple times, indicating that the transmission has not shifted gears.

While in the Tap Shift mode, the transmission will not automatically downshift on hard acceleration.

Too many nanny controls on the automatic in "manual" tap shift - I'll gladly stick with the REAL manual tranny.

Dualcams34
07-15-08, 09:27 PM
No need to worry about adjusting this animal. There is a module on top of the rear frame/cradle that is very smart and will adjust to whatever it takes to engage. As for holding on hills or any other thing related to movement forget it, it won't happen. The park brake module is watching every move you make.

Cadillac Tony
07-15-08, 10:29 PM
Great info Tony, love the built in shift light.

While on the subject, any info on the keyless entry and start system? Did you say the start will be a turn instead of a push? Also, will we get remote start? No info on the 09V page of Cadillac, maybe I should check Reeds site.

The EZ Key system uses a chrome knob located where the ignition cylinder would normally be to start the car- twist it like a key and you're off. Remote start is not offered on V6 CTSs with the M6, so I would hazard a guess that the same applies to the V: No Auto = no remote start.

Too many nanny controls on the automatic in "manual" tap shift - I'll gladly stick with the REAL manual tranny.

The only nannies on the Auto that were described in his post were those that prevent you from mechanically overrevving the engine by dropping into second at 100mph. If you prefer to be able to do that, by all means get the stick. Don't forget that Heinricy's Nurburging record run was done in an Auto- I'll take those nannies any day. :D

As for holding on hills or any other thing related to movement forget it, it won't happen. The park brake module is watching every move you make.

I hate to disagree, but this is right out of the TechLink image I posted:

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn208/Cadillac_Tony/brake-1.jpg

Rich H
07-15-08, 10:52 PM
The only nannies on the Auto that were described in his post were those that prevent you from mechanically overrevving the engine by dropping into second at 100mph. If you prefer to be able to do that, by all means get the stick. Don't forget that Heinricy's Nurburging record run was done in an Auto- I'll take those nannies any day. :D

Precisely my point - Heinricy was using the full auto mode, not the tap shift mode which has more restrictions than benefits. Also, as you might recall, the reason he drove the automatic was that he was used to that car after driving it the previous week. If he had spent more time in the manual he likely would have driven that car and who knows what Ring time he might have achieved?

CIWS
07-16-08, 07:33 AM
If he had spent more time in the manual he likely would have driven that car and who knows what Ring time he might have achieved?

If there is a much better ring time to be gained on the platform Cadillac will most likely utilize the untapped resources (better driver, 6 Spd) to gain it for "the books" As of right now what they've shown is what the car is capable of even when all of the conditions are not "perfect". They've got the fastest sedan ring time with an auto xmission and a GM Exec behind the wheel.

Kadonny
07-16-08, 08:25 AM
Thanks Tony, that pretty much seals the automatic for me. Again, thanks.

ewill3rd
07-16-08, 08:38 AM
Under what circumstances will a park brake "wear" exactly?
The only time it is usually engaged is if the car is parked.
I'd be scared to meet the person that can drive a modern GM car with all the lights flashing and claxons going off and not realize that their park brake is applied.

I can see the brake being used to stop the car in an emergency causing wear... but when was the last time you heard of that happening?
I saw that part about using it to start on a hill, that is pretty cool, but how lazy do you have to be? :lol:
Part of the fun of driving a stick is getting going on a hill. Technology is ruining everything :D

StealthV
07-16-08, 07:22 PM
My bro-in-law has managed to drive through the parking brakes for over a mile on my last two GM vehicles with sticks. If GM parking brakes actually kept the wheels from turning, I'd agree with the no lining wear view.

Or maybe there's a message here about the bro-in-law. :)

ewill3rd
07-16-08, 09:27 PM
:lol:
Sooooo.... what are you trying to say?

I'd agree, rarely do I see them hold a car still anymore under power.
Still the noise and light show should be a clue to some of us.

StealthV
07-16-08, 09:50 PM
So GM knows most are clueless and makes them not hold on purpose? :hmm:

You may be onto something Bill! :)

funkcity
07-17-08, 12:14 AM
Lincoln has had these since 2003 on the LS.
Jaguar S-Type being the sister car also had the EPB.

The logic described by Cadillac is exactly how the Lincoln and Jag work. It is truly a no brainer.

The big plus is space savings. On the LS it netted a huge center console storage compartment which was all used up in earlier cable-style Emergency hand brakes.

So yes this IS a good thing.

ewill3rd
07-17-08, 07:16 AM
I think it is more of a function (or lack thereof) of the design more than a design of the function... if that makes sense?

CIWS
07-17-08, 07:31 AM
Well on a lot of the 04-07 CTS-Vs the Emerg brake was almost a joke. So if this one actually works that will be an improvement. :)

ewill3rd
07-17-08, 08:22 AM
It works on the ones I adjusted.... I can't speak for the rest :lol:

Dr Chill
07-17-08, 09:19 PM
If there is a much better ring time to be gained on the platform Cadillac will most likely utilize the untapped resources (better driver, 6 Spd) to gain it for "the books" As of right now what they've shown is what the car is capable of even when all of the conditions are not "perfect". They've got the fastest sedan ring time with an auto xmission and a GM Exec behind the wheel.

John Heinricy is no ordinary GM exec. He is a phenominal driver and racer. From Wikipedia:

John Heinricy is a U.S. automotive engineer and noted racecar driver.

Heinricy has had a long and distinguished career at General Motors, serving as assistant chief engineer for the Corvette and as Director of the GM Performance Division.

He also campaigns a variety of GM products in SCCA competition, winning the annual SCCA National Championship Runoffs in Corvettes and and Camaros , Firebirds and a Chevrolet Cobalt.

In 2007, Heinricy claimed his 11th SCCA Runoffs championship (driving a Chevy Cobalt in Showroom Stock C). Heinricy presently holds the third most Runoffs titles, behind Duane Davis (13) and Jerry Hansen (27).

http://imgs3.images.hotrod.com/thehistoryof/hrdp_0704_14_z+GM_performance_division+john_heinri cy.jpg

CIWS
07-17-08, 10:29 PM
John Heinricy is no ordinary GM exec. He is a phenominal driver and racer.

He's certainly not your average desk driver. But don't you think they could produce an even quicker ring time if they so desired ?