: Changing transmission fluid

mcfaddens17
07-14-08, 02:19 AM
If you have not done so already, I highly recommend changing your transmission fluid sooner than later. Changed mine this weekend. Only 35k miles and the old fluid looked like old motor oil. "Lifetime fill", yea right. Very simple procedure to change, thanks to StealthVs very detailed instructions posted on the Faq. Better safe than sorry.

Civardi
07-14-08, 04:11 AM
Mine had 40k on it and when the guy changed it out said it smelled really bad. I went with RP and noticed a big change in how she shifted. What did you use?

lilred
07-14-08, 02:32 PM
:yeah: I used RP Synchromax.

rand49er
07-14-08, 03:46 PM
Did mine at 38k just before Summit Point in May. Refilled with RP. Didn't notice any bad smell or difference in shifting. Am I getting old?

One thing for sure, I was woefully ill-prepared to catch the fluid, I can tell you that. Still see a splatsch in the driveway. :banghead:

Civardi
07-14-08, 04:24 PM
Did mine at 38k just before Summit Point in May. Refilled with RP. Didn't notice any bad smell or difference in shifting. Am I getting old?

One thing for sure, I was woefully ill-prepared to catch the fluid, I can tell you that. Still see a splatsch in the driveway. :banghead:

I don't think mine was ever even broken in. The guy who had it before me was a 60+yr old Chiropractor. The clutch was really stiff but the RP seemed to loosen it up quite nicely and it is getting better with ever drive.

BrianTX
07-14-08, 05:26 PM
I have the AMSoil synthetic ATF sitting at home waiting for the car to hit 5k miles. Any suggestions on the best way to catch the fluid burst?

I'm hoping I am as happy with the AMSoil ATF as I am with their oil: I saw a 1.7 MPG increase from the factory fill to the AMSoil signature stuff.

Oh and some Simple Green full strength, a still bristle brush and a garden hose does wonders for oil on concrete without killing your grass :)

Civardi
07-14-08, 06:49 PM
Any suggestions on the best way to catch the fluid burst?

I paid someone else $25 to do it for me. Got to read and have a cup of coffee while I waited.

mcfaddens17
07-15-08, 02:33 AM
Went with RP. Oil definately sprays out pretty hard, so be prepared. Shot the drain plug right out of my hand, which was loads of fun with burning hot oil. :aj: Placed a bunch of newspaper around my catch pan which at least caught all the overflow. Oh, and wear gloves, trust me. :D

lollygagger8
08-11-08, 03:54 PM
So do you guys like RP or Amsoil for the tranny fluid??

Civardi
08-11-08, 05:04 PM
I am happy with the RP but would not hesitate to use Amsoil.

thebigjimsho
08-11-08, 05:34 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm of the camp that thinks the difference between fluids is very little unless you go on the cheap. Like most things that are old and used, going to something fresh is almost always going to seem better.

Just put in a good fluid and be done with it...

Civardi
08-11-08, 05:35 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm of the camp that thinks the difference between fluids is very little unless you go on the cheap. Like most things that are old and used, going to something fresh is almost always going to seem better.

:yeah:

RGRATTAN
08-11-08, 07:14 PM

Hell yea man!

Just like havin two chicks at the same time...

HAHA!

darkman
08-11-08, 07:35 PM
My fluid selection is now based on the expert advice of a licensed lubrication engineer that is in turn based on actual used fluid analysis from my vehicles.

rand49er
08-11-08, 07:45 PM
... Just like havin two chicks at the same time ...:helpless:

Ain't one enough?

thebigjimsho
08-11-08, 09:19 PM
My fluid selection is now based on the expert advice of a licensed lubrication engineer that is in turn based on actual used fluid analysis from my vehicles.Creating jobs for the health of the US economy. I like it!

But really, I'll be fine on what I run...

darkman
08-11-08, 09:49 PM
Creating jobs for the health of the US economy. I like it!

My total contribution to the US economy (lubrication costs) is actually reduced by this process.

I don't think you will go wrong by consistently choosing quality lubricants. On the other hand, if someone is really concerned about the selection process there is a way to take the guess work out of it once and for all.

JonCR96Z
08-11-08, 11:31 PM
Creating jobs for the health of the US economy. I like it!

One day, your carelessness will catch up to you.

thebigjimsho
08-12-08, 01:55 AM
One day, your carelessness will catch up to you.Sure...because I don't put in a magic oil, my V will break down at an alarming rate...

JonCR96Z
08-12-08, 02:22 AM
I bet it would take you 5 whole hours to change it anyway.

thebigjimsho
08-12-08, 06:20 AM
I bet it would take you 5 whole hours to change it anyway.Yeah, and it was my first header install and the first major install on the V. Actually, I can change my oil in 10 minutes, tranny fluid in 20, diff in 30, brake pads in 5. And if I did the headers again,it would probably take 4hours.

I like LS1Tech for the engine knowledge but there are a lot of mouth breathers who think everyone should be professional mechanics in order to post there. Is that 10secvette who was posting that garbage?

JonCR96Z
08-12-08, 08:27 AM
Is that 10secvette who was posting that garbage?
Yeah.

atdeneve
08-12-08, 08:33 AM
I can squirt my fluids in 10 sec., make you squirt in 5, and I can squirt a hershey across the room.

lollygagger8
08-12-08, 11:24 AM
Ok, after the laugh session I just had reading these.....

Best Trans Fluid: RP Syncromax or Amsoil ATF (or manual trans fluid) <- which I think is just 75w90??

I'm digging the Redline in my Diff....so has anyone used RedLine in their Transmission? Which Fluid?

lollygagger8
08-13-08, 04:15 PM
bump diddy bump

JonCR96Z
08-15-08, 02:17 AM
If you get the Amsoil, the synchromesh is supposed to be better for the tranny. I will be able to tell you better after tomorrow.

nikon
08-15-08, 11:14 AM
Ive got mobil one synthetic atf in now and didn't notice any difference switching from RP synchromax....basically like jim said, anything is better than the crap that was in there.

lollygagger8
08-15-08, 11:57 AM
So I guess whatever is cheaper: RP Synchromax or Mobil 1 ATF is what I'll get since they sound about the same.

lollygagger8
08-17-08, 03:01 PM
I put in Mobil 1 ATF, and it shifts much better than that Dexron $hit! Even reverse is easier to get into.