: 2001 Northstar in a 93 sts?

Sammy22
07-13-08, 08:39 PM
Hi, my engine blew a part internaly and Im most likely going to have to buy a new engine. I know the newer northstars are a bit better than the older ones, so Im wondering if I could fit a 2001 northstar in a 1993 sts. Would everything fit? Would I have to get a new trans too to fit the new engine? Let me know, thanks.

Submariner409
07-13-08, 08:52 PM
The entire electronic, mechanical, and emissions systems are very different. There's quite a bit more to this contemplated replacement than meets the eye, so you'll have to rely on a qualified GM Tech to fill in the blanks. A properly rebuilt early Northstar owes nothing to the 2000+ engines except roller cam followers.

Sammy22
07-16-08, 05:56 PM
ok, just curious. I was cruising and the next thing you know I heard a metal noise in the engine area and 2 sec. later my car shuts of and theres oil and water leaking out of the engine. So Im gonna buy a rebuilt engine.

tateos
07-17-08, 06:26 PM
Make sure it has been inserted!

ok, just curious. I was cruising and the next thing you know I heard a metal noise in the engine area and 2 sec. later my car shuts of and theres oil and water leaking out of the engine. So Im gonna buy a rebuilt engine.

danbuc
07-22-08, 11:43 AM
Make sure it has been inserted!

You mean 'Timeserted'?

tateos
07-22-08, 08:01 PM
You mean 'Timeserted'?

Personally, I prefer the Norm's inserts - that's what I used and I am very pleased with the kit components, the instructions, the process, and the results.

stoveguyy
07-23-08, 10:07 PM
you sure you want to throw a rebuilt motor in a 15yr old car? thats a lot of money that could be put towards a newer car. plus you have to pay for the install. hows the rest of the car? good shape?

Submariner409
07-25-08, 05:50 PM
stoveguyy.......I guess the rebuilt engine in a 15 year old car is sort of a bad idea........kind of like dropping a new GM crate engine in a '68 Camaro ?? Heck, that's 40 years old and not worth a nickel. :sneaky:

dwight.j.carter
07-25-08, 07:03 PM
If the body is in good shape I say do it. And make sure they have been inserted prefferebly with Norm's not timecerts but either will work.