: sooo many tires to choose from! what do you run?

SoJersey05V
07-13-08, 06:40 PM
and here i go with another question!!!

TIRES!

i bought the car 2 weeks ago and it has Pirelli P Zero Nero's on it now (non run flat) they are pretty worn from.... well you know...

i have been looking at many tires and here my few choices...'

Nitto Invo
BFG Gforce T/A kdw new tread
Goodyear F1 supercar
or some pirelli run flat (too many to choose from)...

i just need to know what you guys are using and what you think handles best!

thanks everyone!

AAIIIC
07-13-08, 06:45 PM
What are you looking for in tires? Good longevity? Good straight line grip? Quiet, smooth ride? Amazing lateral grip? Excellent wet performance? Low price? High price? Pretty tread pattern?

How did you come up with the 4 rather disparate tires you listed?

Without knowing what your desires are, then a "What tires are best?" thread just becomes a list of tires that people have on their personal car.

thebigjimsho
07-13-08, 10:33 PM
If the F1s weren't so darned expensive, they'd be good. I'm happy with Michelin Pilot Sport 2s and a good spare...

PISNUOFF
07-13-08, 10:36 PM
Several of us are running Toyo Proxes T1R's. I use them for street and the track and I run 275/40's on the rear with a stock rim.

Scatillac
07-13-08, 11:14 PM
PS2s..... Stock size on the front and 275/40s on the rear (on 1" widened stock rims).

SoJersey05V
07-13-08, 11:27 PM
i am very sorry i didnt get to into what i was looking for...

since i do live in jersey we get all types of weather so first and formost i need a tire that will help me in wet conditions...

longevity isn't too important, i'm not worried about drag racing. if anything i want ridiculous cornering grip!

reasons for the tires i picked are:

nitto invo- says that its good all around

BFG- friend had them on a subaru wrx sti and they are like friggin claws, regardless that the car is AWD because he had the stock bridgestones on it and they were horrible.

goodyear-c5 and c6 z06s come with them stock and my father has them on his z06 handle nicely, cts-v is a little different then the z so...

in a nutshell i want a tire that will perform in all weathers, and give super cornering!

Twitch
07-13-08, 11:43 PM
I'm happy with the Falkens. Pretty good in the rain, great in dry weather. You can get them pretty cheap, but they don't come in our stock size.
If you drive all year, you need two sets of tires. All season tires wont work well in the snow. Start looking for a cheap set of winter rims.

odla
07-14-08, 02:15 PM
which Falkens?

tedcmiller
07-14-08, 02:27 PM
If you stick with RFTs (which you should), there are a lot fewer choices in the same size (245-45-18). I run Bridgestone RE050As.

lilred
07-14-08, 02:59 PM
Just curious why should we stick with RFT? Because the car was designed with them in mind?

Seattle CTS-V
07-14-08, 03:25 PM
Several of us are running Toyo Proxes T1R's. I use them for street and the track and I run 275/40's on the rear with a stock rim.

^^ My favorite combo so far for street and track use! I thought they handled better than the GSD3's.

JD03Cobra
07-14-08, 03:52 PM
PS2s..... Stock size on the front and 275/40s on the rear (on 1" widened stock rims).

:bonkers: Wait you have 1" widened stock rims? What I wouldn't do for these...do you have any pictures?

I have the F1's by the way and their a rip off...

thebigjimsho
07-14-08, 04:00 PM
:bonkers: Wait you have 1" widened stock rims? What I wouldn't do for these...do you have any pictures?

I have the F1's by the way and their a rip off...And I've got .75" widened wheels with 275/40 18 PS2s...

Scatillac
07-14-08, 05:31 PM
JD03Cobra,

No need for photos....they're done on the inside so they look like stock rims. I also had to have some spacers made (5mm) so the rims would clear the suspension.

The spacers left me with around 5.75 turns of thread purchase on the lug nuts on the rear. I had enough made to do the front also, but will have to change out the lugs there for safety concerns.

I've been procrastinating on the front stud change. I have everything, I just can't get motivated (too many other irons in the fire!). :rolleyes:

Luna.
07-14-08, 06:46 PM
If you stick with RFTs (which you should), there are a lot fewer choices in the same size (245-45-18). I run Bridgestone RE050As.

This is what I'm running, except that I have 275s in the rear (on 1.5" widened rims..and yes, they fit under the car exactly the same as stock--some modification required...:cool2:) and 245s in the front. I love the turn-in with run-flats...

thebigjimsho
07-14-08, 06:51 PM
This is what I'm running, except that I have 275s in the rear (on 1.5" widened rims..and yes, they fit under the car exactly the same as stock) and 245s in the front. I love the turn-in with run-flats...And I love the turn-in with PS2s...alot...:drool:

crazymikie
07-15-08, 11:06 AM
I hd a set of Falken 451s on a previous car. After a track day, they were chunked up a bit, but they weren't awful. I would say if the 452s are equal to or better than the 451s then they would be great for street use. From what I've found out so far, I think I am going with the GSD3s on the V- I'm more concerned with wet performance than all out track performance with street tires. My favorite tires were the Bridgestone S03s which aren't made anymore.

lollygagger8
07-15-08, 11:44 AM
Falken Azedis ST115's......good traction, grippy around corners and wear good. Not the best in the rain, but it's not like you get on the car a whole lot in the rain anyways.

thebigjimsho
07-15-08, 12:50 PM
I hd a set of Falken 451s on a previous car. After a track day, they were chunked up a bit, but they weren't awful. I would say if the 452s are equal to or better than the 451s then they would be great for street use. From what I've found out so far, I think I am going with the GSD3s on the V- I'm more concerned with wet performance than all out track performance with street tires. My favorite tires were the Bridgestone S03s which aren't made anymore.The Dunlop SP SportMaxx is phenomenal in the rain, have great dry grip and have very good treadlife. Then there is the price...

sleepys4
07-16-08, 02:30 PM
I'm thinking of getting some Advans not sure which ones. Any ideas?

v-sam
07-16-08, 10:09 PM
Bridgestone RE-01 stock size $225 from tire rack. Best tire I have ever run at a very good price.

mike041357
07-17-08, 12:09 AM
Did the Goodyear F1 thing and they swapped them out for the GSD3s. Couldn't get those to balance so went with the Michelin PS2s. Loved them, but.....only got about 9K miles. Now I'm trying the BFG T/A KDW and so far so good.

You got a V. You'll have a chance to try them all :D

tedcmiller
07-17-08, 09:41 AM
There are many reasons why RFTs are the best choice. The primary one being that even with no pressure in the tire (i.e., a flat tire with a non-RFT), you can keep driving for 50 miles at up to 55 MPH with no damage to the tire or the rim. Otherwise you have to stop where you are to change the wheel (assuming you have a serviceable spare), where you might get cold, wet, or even killed. These kind of potential problems don't exist with RFTs.

casdds11
07-17-08, 10:36 AM
don't forget the pleasure of getting bent over for 2 grand every 9 months at the dealer.

tedcmiller
07-17-08, 04:05 PM
I am not sure where the "2 grand" number comes from. It only cost me about $1100 for four RE050A RFTs installed by the dealer. Also, the previous set of RE050 RFTs lasted about 20K miles, which means that I did not need new tires for about 18 months.

814V
07-17-08, 07:38 PM
just picked up 4 p zero nero's... time to smoke whats on here and mount up the new ones