: Question on aftermarket Navigation vs. stock Nav deck

Sound&Style
07-13-08, 05:34 PM
I just registered here and recently joined the Escalade family just under a week ago when I picked up my 2004 Escalade.

However the vehicle was short 2 of the options. It didn't have the drop down DVD in the back for passengers (I've found this on Ebay shipped to where I live for under $400) and now I'd like to go with Navigation.

My question is I know the stock Nav. decks do the basics plus XM radio pretty well. However I've seen some nice aftermarket Nav. decks with more features (and they cost a little more), but the one thing that has me concerned is the Kenwood I'm looking at offered by Crutchfield (linked below) requires the additional components they mention below and it sounds like some features may be lost. I was curious if anyone else has put in an aftermarket Nav. deck and if they're happy with it? - Thanks, you guys have a great forum here. :cool:

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2008/113/p113DNX8120-f_MT-1.jpeg

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=182350&i=113DNX8120&tp=144

Installation Details for your 2004 Escalade

Your vehicle is factory-equipped with an upgraded sound system. We strongly recommend that you purchase an adapter that maintains your factory door chimes (required for audible safety warnings), provides a switched 12-volt power source for your new radio, and allows you to continue using the OnStar feature. (Note: This adapter requires that your new radio have both front and rear preamp outputs.) You should not replace your factory radio without this adapter.
Metra VT-GMOS-04 $99.99

You must use the recommended Crutchfield integration adapter to retain the warning system chimes. Failure to do so may result in serious injury or death.

You'll lose your factory XM capability if you replace your factory radio.

The factory navigation system will be lost if radio is replaced.

The factory DVD entertainment system will still operate if the factory radio is removed. However, you'll only be able to hear DVD audio using the factory headphones.

Video receivers with flip-out monitors may not work in this vehicle because of the configuration of the factory dash.

250motorsportz
07-13-08, 05:49 PM
You'll also lose your steering wheel controls!!! I had a Pioneer double din deck in my truck and took it out 6 months later. I woulda taken it out earlier but was too lazy.

Sound&Style
07-13-08, 06:24 PM
250, thanks for the info. Yeah I don't know if I want to lose functionality by going aftermarket. I'll have to keep reading the forums and stay updated before making a decision.

Povich
07-14-08, 09:41 AM
I have a Pioneer Avic-z1 in my truck and still have all factory controls available and working(including steering wheel controls)! I believe it is PAC makes an adapter to keep steering controls as well as onstar use and all that! Only thing that is not functional in my truck is the rear audio controls but Ive got aftermarket headrest monitors and dvd player back there to keep busy with! Love my setup and Head unit and would never go back Stock! Just my opinion! Look around on crutchfield and google they make adapters for almost everything to remain functional!

cooden
07-14-08, 10:10 AM
I had a Kenwood DDX-7019 in my '07 Suburban. Like someone mentioned before, you will need the PAC-OS3 (i believe that's the part #). That retains the rear backup sensors, Onstar and your door chimes. At the time I bought my deck (2007), there was no adapter to retain my steering wheel controls. I know that Pioneer makes adapters to retain the factory steering wheel controls (Pioneer has some great decks as well). You will need to buy the XM or Sirius adapter to plug into your new aftermarket radio. Just remember, you will now have 3 antenna on the front of your roof (factory Onstar, factory XM and the aftermarket XM or Sirius). My advice would be to tell the installer to mount your new Satellite radio antenna on the far back by the tailgate. This way the roof rails will hide it and no one will see the antenna. Also, if you get something with navigation, remember that the navigation little antenna will be mounted on the front of your dash so that it can pick up the gps signal.

On a side note, I will post up some pics of how I am installing Sirius and the Peripheral Ipod solutions kit with the factory navigation. That way I can have Sirius and my Ipod all controlled from the factory navigation unit. I am just waiting for my Ipod unit to get here. Let us know what radio you get.

WaynesNside
07-14-08, 07:01 PM

On a side note, I will post up some pics of how I am installing Sirius and the Peripheral Ipod solutions kit with the factory navigation. That way I can have Sirius and my Ipod all controlled from the factory navigation unit. I am just waiting for my Ipod unit to get here. Let us know what radio you get.

What IPOD kit is that?

I was thinking of going with the Coastal Tech one with my factory Nav unit. Not using the XM though.

I like the factory Nav unit personally. My cousin has an Jensen fold out, that can play DVDs and he has an aftermarket Nav unit installed down low, to me that's a lil to much clutter. I want to have mine look clean and simple. When I get the Lockpick kit for the movies and the IPOD i'll have just as many features as him and it will look all stock.

Also the stock nav is nice, his has so much stuff on it, to me to much. I like the stock nav and it's functions.

cooden
07-14-08, 08:46 PM
What IPOD kit is that?

I was thinking of going with the Coastal Tech one with my factory Nav unit. Not using the XM though.

I like the factory Nav unit personally. My cousin has an Jensen fold out, that can play DVDs and he has an aftermarket Nav unit installed down low, to me that's a lil to much clutter. I want to have mine look clean and simple. When I get the Lockpick kit for the movies and the IPOD i'll have just as many features as him and it will look all stock.

Also the stock nav is nice, his has so much stuff on it, to me to much. I like the stock nav and it's functions.

I am buying the Peripheral Ipod Solutions kit (google it or use ebay to check it out). Then I am buying the Sirius SIR-GM1 to use Sirius in my truck, it basically just replaces the Xm brain that comes from the factory.

You mentioned you were getting a lockpick for your truck--mine is a 2004 with the factory navigation, can I still the lockpick on mine so that I can watch videos while I drive? Or does it only work with the 2007-2008 models?

SUX2BU
07-15-08, 02:54 PM
Stock nav sux.
I use my Verizon Voyager's Nav more than my trucks Nav.

WaynesNside
07-20-08, 10:28 AM
I am buying the Peripheral Ipod Solutions kit (google it or use ebay to check it out). Then I am buying the Sirius SIR-GM1 to use Sirius in my truck, it basically just replaces the Xm brain that comes from the factory.

You mentioned you were getting a lockpick for your truck--mine is a 2004 with the factory navigation, can I still the lockpick on mine so that I can watch videos while I drive? Or does it only work with the 2007-2008 models?

Does that IPOD unit let you use the touchscreen to go throuh the IPOD selections? I know the Coastal Tech does that.

You can get the universal LOckpick and run two video inputs to it.
http://www.coastaletech.com/gmlockpick4.htm

cooden
07-20-08, 02:56 PM
Does that IPOD unit let you use the touchscreen to go throuh the IPOD selections? I know the Coastal Tech does that.

You can get the universal LOckpick and run two video inputs to it.
http://www.coastaletech.com/gmlockpick4.htm

Mine is a 2004 Escalade, I don't have touch screen on my factory navi deck. Touch screen didn't come out till 2005 and up.

WaynesNside
07-20-08, 09:14 PM
Mine is a 2004 Escalade, I don't have touch screen on my factory navi deck. Touch screen didn't come out till 2005 and up.

You can still use that Lockpick. Check out the link, it says touch and non-touch screen.

cooden
07-20-08, 10:54 PM
You can still use that Lockpick. Check out the link, it says touch and non-touch screen.

I just checked out that link--thanks for that. I actually called Coastal Tech last week to ask them if they sold a lockpick for my year vehicle so that I could watch DVD movies through my unit. The girl on the phone said that they didn't have one, nothing worked on my year. But I ended up finding out that my year navi unit only plays the DVD navi disc, no movies.

Lu Scola
07-28-08, 11:25 PM
I never buy cars or trucks with factory nav. I rather buy one without and add a Pioneer. Factory nav sucks and after you convert it to a tv screen its still not a great picture. So my advice is save your money buy a Pioneer nav unit. There is so many things you can do with aftermarket products. You can watch TV, DVD, Satellite Tv, Ipod, Sirius, XM, HD Radio, and much more. Now when you trade your vehicle in put your factory in and put you Pioneer in your next vehicle. Not to mention a factory nav is alsomt or over 3 grand when buying new at the dealer. Waste of money! Just my 2 Cents

Povich
07-29-08, 01:04 AM
I never buy cars or trucks with factory nav. I rather buy one without and add a Pioneer. Factory nav sucks and after you convert it to a tv screen its still not a great picture. So my advice is save your money buy a Pioneer nav unit. There is so many things you can do with aftermarket products. You can watch TV, DVD, Satellite Tv, Ipod, Sirius, XM, HD Radio, and much more. Now when you trade your vehicle in put your factory in and put you Pioneer in your next vehicle. Not to mention a factory nav is alsomt or over 3 grand when buying new at the dealer. Waste of money! Just my 2 Cents
My Feelings also! Have a Z1 in my truck!:highfive:

CMoney2021
08-17-08, 06:04 PM
I have a Pioneer Avic-z1 in my truck and still have all factory controls available and working(including steering wheel controls)! I believe it is PAC makes an adapter to keep steering controls as well as onstar use and all that! Only thing that is not functional in my truck is the rear audio controls but Ive got aftermarket headrest monitors and dvd player back there to keep busy with! Love my setup and Head unit and would never go back Stock! Just my opinion! Look around on crutchfield and google they make adapters for almost everything to remain functional!

I just installed a Pioneer Avic-F700BT and the PAC steering wheel adaptor. Can you explain how you got the PAC adaptor to work? Which wire did you tap into?

Thanks in advance.

Povich
08-17-08, 09:14 PM
I searched on Pacs site for instructions! Heres mine I believe http://pac-audio.com/swixprogramming/showstepbystep.asp?InterfaceChecked=3&RadioGroupPioneer=0&mmSearch=Cadillac&Submit2=+Search+Vehicles&ID=175Hope This helps Ya! Have to check your Unit with Headunit being used!

Lu Scola
08-17-08, 09:27 PM
PIONEER AFTERMARKET IS THE BEST......HANDS DOWN. I wouldnt ever buy a vehicle with factory nav...total garbage.

03lade
09-13-08, 12:31 PM
[QUOTE=CMoney2021;1608023]I just installed a Pioneer Avic-F700BT and the PAC steering wheel adaptor. Can you explain how you got the PAC adaptor to work? Which wire did you tap into?

Does the factory 6 changer below work with that unit and the PAC adaptor

g9s8r
09-13-08, 12:46 PM
Just my .02. I love aftermarket decks. All the features you get with them are great. However, coming from years and years of always f*ing with stereos. I will settle with factory any day as long as its top of the line. To me, and like I said, its my preference only and not saying that one is better than the other, if it came with the vehicle, its designed for the vehicle. I totally believe that there is nothing wrong with factory nav. It gets me where I want to go when I need it.

CMoney2021
09-14-08, 01:58 AM
Does the factory 6 changer below work with that unit and the PAC adaptor[/QUOTE]

No, the factory 6 disc changer did not work with my setup.

I used the Metra harness and the PAC adaptor.