: Rolling while entering Navi destinations

svtbolt2001
07-10-08, 03:37 PM
Has anyone figured this out? I tried searching but haven't had much luck. I really think it sucks that GM's lawyers are dictating when the navi can be used.

heavymetals
07-10-08, 03:49 PM
They aren't the only ones.

There are a lot of units that won't work in this fashion, but there are defeats.

However, there are reported cases of insurance companies not ponying up because of modifications.

thefred
07-10-08, 04:07 PM
They aren't the only ones.

There are a lot of units that won't work in this fashion, but there are defeats.

However, there are reported cases of insurance companies not ponying up because of modifications.
Bah. Not sure it that is urban legend or not, but that makes about as much sense as denying a claim becasue you leaned over to pick up a french fry. All of the aftermarket units can be operated while driving, so what would be the difference....

Natedog
07-10-08, 04:10 PM
u can input an address while driving, only if it is one of the Last 10 addresses you inputted into your Nav... so if you know you'll need to do an address lookup at some point, plug it in beforehand and access it when needed; otherwise, ur SOL with the stock functionality.

heavymetals
07-10-08, 04:17 PM
Bah. Not sure it that is urban legend or not, but that makes about as much sense as denying a claim becasue you leaned over to pick up a french fry. All of the aftermarket units can be operated while driving, so what would be the difference....

Better do some homework :thepan:

My AVIC-N4 will not unless you bypass the parking brake.

That isn't the only "aftermarket unit" that does that.

50 4Ever
07-10-08, 04:20 PM
Better do some homework :thepan:

My AVIC-N4 will not unless you bypass the parking brake.

That isn't the only "aftermarket unit" that does that.

Same with my AVIC-Z2. However, my old Garmin 2620 has a menu that if you agree the passenger will only operate it while in motion it unlocks all the functions...

thefred
07-10-08, 04:38 PM
I'm not talking about installed units. :tease: What about the Garmins, TomToms and the like????

heavymetals
07-10-08, 04:50 PM
If you put it in your car and use it I consider that installed. IMHO

You should have said "portable" instead of aftermarket.

It looks like the GARMIN has an "accept liability" button.

Ball is in your court now.:tease::gun2:

thefred
07-10-08, 05:08 PM
I agree with you. After re-reading my original post, I should have said "portable" instead of "aftermarket". Now that we have resolved that issue, are you saying that the accept liability button means that the insurance company will deny liability and not pay?? If so, I'm back to my french fries.

svtbolt2001
07-10-08, 05:14 PM
Eitherway, I would like to know if there is a hack and how to proceed. Not too concerned about insurance issues. They would have a hard time not paying out on my car for something my wife's Acura allows which is on the same policy.

heavymetals
07-10-08, 05:21 PM
I didn't say anything about what they would or wouldn't do.

How are the fries? :)

heavymetals
07-10-08, 05:25 PM
There is no "hack" for this operation, but you could try bypassing the parking brake switch and see what happens.

The pcm might restrict some other function though.

thefred
07-10-08, 05:35 PM
I didn't say anything about what they would or wouldn't do.

How are the fries? :)
You said there were reports of insurance companies not paying because of modifications.....

I'd love some fries, but they are on the floor...hang on, I'm going to lean down to get them......:D

Mystical_Ice
07-10-08, 05:57 PM
There is no "hack" for this operation, but you could try bypassing the parking brake switch and see what happens.

The pcm might restrict some other function though.

parking brake isn't what triggers this. it's vehicle speed.

if you stop at a traffic light, suddenly all the "grayed out" buttons are active again. as soon as you start rolling more than 3 or 4 MPH, they gray out again.

things like "seat position memory" is triggered by parking brake (that's easy though. just barely tap the parking brake, so the warning light comes on in the dash (brake doesn't engage yet though... mine takes another 8 inches of pushing to engage), but then you can change to another seat setting :)

heavymetals
07-10-08, 06:04 PM
I guess the harware hack would be to put a switch on the VSS connection to the radio (but I don't think there is one).

I think it gets this from the PCM.

Killing this signal would cause some interesting results(?).

heavymetals
07-10-08, 06:20 PM
Ya got me!

"You said there were reports of insurance companies not paying because of modifications....."

There are discussions on the audio forums about reduced liability, but no one I know of has reported an insurance company refusing a claim because of the nav system being modified.

The ? was asked and I assumed someone was in a jackpot over it.

My error.

However, there are bunches of cases over "distracted driver" incidents, the primary cause being a cell phone.

I say pull over and futz with the thing if you have to.

PISNUOFF
07-10-08, 10:33 PM
I guess the harware hack would be to put a switch on the VSS connection to the radio (but I don't think there is one).

I think it gets this from the PCM.

Killing this signal would cause some interesting results(?).

HPTuners - You can change the number of VSS pulses per revolution of the sensor and that changes it in the nav. Just changing that number will leave the speedo and odometer to use the default numbers. Maybe making this some obscene number will make the nav think you're going less than 3-4 mph. Maybe I'll give it a try.

tedcmiller
07-11-08, 09:19 AM
Trying to use a navigation unit - built-in or otherwise - while driving is foolish, and creates a hazard for the driver and all the other users of the road - driving or walking. Most GPS units base the decision to disable certain functions on the detection of motion from the incoming satellite signal, not on signals from speed sensors or parking brakes. I don't know how the built-in units in the Cadillacs work because I have no desire, or intention, to attempt to override these restrictions.

Some people have questioned the validity of these restrictions by comparing attempts to enter a complete address with changing a radio station. The amount of distraction is completely different and this is comparing apples to oranges, as they say. Picking up a french-fry off of the floor of the vehicle can't be proved, and is no different than taking your hands off the streering wheel and closing your eyes. The fact that insurance companies are not paying when it can be proved that the victims overrode the existing safeguards is a good thing. Perhaps this will cause more sensible individuals to avoid attempts to get past the safeguards.

bigREDfreshness
07-11-08, 11:56 AM
Wow, it took 16 replies before we get the 'foolish' post. In the DVD-in-motion threads, it only takes 3 or 4.

I'm not arguing that it is or is not hazardous to anyone's health, my only argument is 'who the hell are you to tell me or my passengers what we can or cannot do in my own vehicle.' I'm the first person to get peeved when I glance in the window of a bad driver and see a cell phone, or glance over at someone eating Subway while shifting onto to the freeway at 75. But to take functionality of my audio/video/nav system away shouldn't be up to anyone but me. No, I personally don't want to type addresses while rolling, but the whole point is when that need arises, it's usually because there's a car full of people that have places to be, and there is no reason that they shouldn't be able to navigate. And taking away the 'voice notes' feature when rolling? That's just rude.

Finding the hack for DVD-in-motion was one of the best finds for the HU. Passengers can watch it, especially the chitlin, but I don't. Just because we want and utilize hacks doesn't make us foolish or irresponsible drivers.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
07-11-08, 02:17 PM
They should've just tied it into a weight sensor for the passenger seat.

svtbolt2001
07-11-08, 03:59 PM
Will someone let me know if there is a hack out there and stop wasting time posting about my right to change my destination once I am on the road.

thefred
07-12-08, 01:16 AM
Will someone let me know if there is a hack out there and stop wasting time posting about my right to change my destination once I am on the road.
Sure. It does not exist on the CTS-V. However, on the STS-V.....that's another question....:D Maybe its just a new car you need....

tdyguy2k
07-12-08, 01:30 AM
They should've just tied it into a weight sensor for the passenger seat.

My sentiments exactly. It's a real pain in the arse to have to pull over and stop so that my wife can enter an address from the passenger seat. I mean really, how hard could it have been?

thefred
07-12-08, 12:59 PM
My sentiments exactly. It's a real pain in the arse to have to pull over and stop so that my wife can enter an address from the passenger seat. I mean really, how hard could it have been?
I tend to agree with you guys on this one. It seems as though there is a weight sensor already in the seat for the seat belt and airbag. Am I correct about that?

tdyguy2k
07-13-08, 03:52 PM
There has to be. Otherwise how would the car know to tell you that the passenger needs to buckle up? Or turn the airbag on/off.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
07-13-08, 07:49 PM
There has to be. Otherwise how would the car know to tell you that the passenger needs to buckle up? Or turn the airbag on/off.

I think that was an '05 addition. But still, one would think that allowing the passenger to control the nav would be a no brainer. ...But then again, so would a lot of things...

dkozloski
07-13-08, 07:59 PM
As any fool can plainly see from this thread, a significant percentage of American drivers lack the judgement required to safely operate a NAV unit. Thank God the manufacturers are there to protect the rest of us.

tedcmiller
07-14-08, 02:40 PM
A weight sensor in the passenger seat is not a solution. The GPS (built-in or not) has no way of know who is trying to operate the GPS while moving.

Many people feel that no one has the right to tell them what to do even if their actions negatively impact others. If there were any sense to these arguments, there would be no driver licenses, or speed limits, or traffic signals, etc. Get rid of all these other restrictions first (good luck), and then work on the GPS (or DVD) issue.

jr_vette
07-14-08, 03:00 PM
HPTuners - You can change the number of VSS pulses per revolution of the sensor and that changes it in the nav. Just changing that number will leave the speedo and odometer to use the default numbers. Maybe making this some obscene number will make the nav think you're going less than 3-4 mph. Maybe I'll give it a try.

You're going to mess up all sorts of stuff. (ie. Fan on/off not only are controlled by coolant temp, but by speed of the car). It would be good to confirm as to whether or not the speed is what triggers the lockout feature(?) of entering addresses. Beyond that, I wouldn't mess around with the VSS too much. There are just too many engine controls that rely on the speed of the car.

I don't think there is an easy way around this short of reprogramming the NAV unit.

Maximusthefarmer
07-15-08, 04:10 AM
Eitherway, I would like to know if there is a hack and how to proceed. Not too concerned about insurance issues. They would have a hard time not paying out on my car for something my wife's Acura allows which is on the same policy.

Isn't the Acura Navigation system voice activated? That would be the major difference all the Acuras I have been in since I think '03 that had navi had voice commands..the New TL has voice commands for just about everything

which comes back to the more important point of why the hell GM chose not to give us touchscreen or voice commands

thefred
07-15-08, 10:40 AM
Here is my impression on GM's approach to the navigation/bluetooth issue. GM wanted to put something in the cars so that they could say it was there. They didn't refine it or make it the best they could because they were more concerned about other things. Believe it or not, the STS-V bluetooth was only certified by Denso (the manufacturer) to work with 3 phones! I got that information first hand from Denso. Yes, there are many other better, more functional, less distracting units out there. The Infinity unit in the new G is all voice activated. Press one button and it does the rest. No hack necessary and no more distraction than talking to the person sitting next to you. Want to make nav/bluetooth less of a distraction? That's how you do it. Maybe next time for GM....we can only hope....

13bmx5
08-26-08, 07:43 AM
I just installed a relay on the vss to the back of the nav using the e-brake as aground. I used pin 7 on the brown connector, no luck. It just stops the tracking, safety is still there.