: If You Had $17k-$30k To Spend on a GM (new or late model)?

Chuck C
06-07-04, 07:32 PM
If you had $17k-$30k to spend on a GM (new or late model) car, which would you choose? You see, my buddy, fresh outta college, is starting a new job and he has 17k in GM bucks as a gift from his parents plus some room to step up using his own money. The only requirements: must be GM and cannot exceed 30k.

A couple cars popped in my head including the new Malibu (great gas mileage) and the new Saturn Vue Red Line (mainly due to it's fabulous 250hp Honda V6). What would you guys suggest? (and don't say the Aztek!!)

Vesicant
06-07-04, 07:36 PM
If he can wait till fall... id reccomend a sweet car from pontiac called the G6

http://www.pontiac.com/g6/index.jsp?brand=home&pagename=home

If Not, then why not a certified used CTS or STS even..? :coolgleam

Msilva954
06-07-04, 07:39 PM
First-Caddy Deville 2001-2004 w/ lowmiles, I prefer clothtop;vogues....etc 20-30k
Second-GTO, if you can find a dealer that is willing to work with you
3rd- Used CTS
4th-.....?????....???what else does GM make that I want??????.....Diesel Truck maybe?

Chuck C
06-07-04, 07:51 PM
used CTS also popped in my mind...

I agree the G6 looks pimp, but it's too late

Caddy Man
06-07-04, 08:03 PM
00-03 STS or DTS

PhillyCaddy
06-07-04, 08:23 PM
I would look into 2000 on sts or sls

Chuck C
06-07-04, 08:34 PM
While the STS and DTS are certainly feasible, the maintenance costs make these cars less desirable especailly to a 22 yr old kid just getting started. Still, I'd put these guys on the top ten list.

Blackout
06-07-04, 08:53 PM
How much are ZR1's going for now adays? But I'd go with a Syclone or Typhoon.

caddyshack24
06-07-04, 08:59 PM
wow, i wish i had some GM bucks!
id get a few cars.
1993 to 2001 STS
1987-1989 Brougham
or use it for a CTS.

does he get to keep the spare change?
if he doesnt, could always use the leftover money to negotiate with parents for a loan.

ShadowLvr400
06-07-04, 09:54 PM
C5 Vette. Or Camaro SS/WS6 Trans Am. But, i've been on a sports car kick myself. Another option would be a Chevy Silverado 1500/2500 or so, with the Duramax deisel. I might look at the Colorado, except it's a new drivetrain, and I prefer a few years of testing. 2500 with extd cab, pretty well loaded, even a used one with a year or two on it, would be pretty nice.

c5 rv
06-07-04, 10:04 PM
For a first new car out of college, I'd go for something practical and reliable that doesn't break the bank - there will be plenty of other expenses:

Pontiac Vibe: very reliable and lots of flexibility with the interior layout. However, be sure he likes the driving position - the steering wheel is far away.

Chevy Malibu: very smooth, quiet, and nice handling. It's a big improvement over the previous Malibu and shares a platform with the Saab 93.

Chevy Equinox: heard very good things about this new model. I'm looking forward to driving one sometime. My son is thinking about trading his S-10 for one of these sometime.

Saturn Vue: someone at work just bought one of these and loves it. She was going to buy a Lexus SUV and decided she heard so many raves about the Vue that she'd save her money.

Chevy Colorado / GMC Canyon: nice truck, but I'd wait until '05 to get the 5 cyl. engine. There have been a number of reported engine problems in early units.

CVP33
06-07-04, 10:32 PM
1st - Bonneville GXP - Fully loaded with N* - GMS and rebates = $29,000

2nd - GTO - Same - GMS = $29,000

3rd - G6

Elvis
06-07-04, 11:14 PM
Do Saabs count? If he wanted something new, he might look at one.

DopeStar 156
06-08-04, 12:13 AM
I would totally go for a new Malibu, the MAXX one. I've been driving a 99 Malibu for a year and I wasn't too surprised but it is fast, but the new Malibu MAXX looks cool as hell and fast too. I'd go with that.

Playdrv4me
06-08-04, 01:57 AM
(I cant believe im saying this but...) 2004 Saturn View REDLINE with the 250HP Honda six.
01-02 CERTIFIED STS Premium
Chevy Equinox
03 V8 Envoy XL

Keep in mind insurance costs will determine more than anything whats REALLY affordable.

Ralph
06-08-04, 03:30 AM
I like those Pontiac Vibes, the styling is more exciting than the Matrix IMO. They can be had in AWD, FWD, 4 or V6, plus they are a double 5 star safety rating which equals Volvo. I also find the steering wheel a little close to the dash, but not as bad as a Toyota Corolla.

I also like the new Malibu's, but in sedan only as hatchbacks tend to rattle after a couple of years.

c5 rv
06-08-04, 07:55 AM
I like those Pontiac Vibes, the styling is more exciting than the Matrix IMO. They can be had in AWD, FWD, 4 or V6, plus they are a double 5 star safety rating which equals Volvo. I also find the steering wheel a little close to the dash, but not as bad as a Toyota Corolla.

I also like the new Malibu's, but in sedan only as hatchbacks tend to rattle after a couple of years.

Are they introducing a V6 to the Vibe? Currently there are only two I-4s available. A v6 with awd would be great if they can shoehorn it in.

Sandy
06-08-04, 08:27 AM
Chevy Monte Carlo SS Supercharged with the Dale Earnhardt, Jr. Package $30,000 after rebates. After 4 years he can sell it for the sought after classic it will be for 65% of the purchase price. Hurry....they made 211 of them ! The only full sized coupe left in the world, short of a Bentley & with 250 H.P. and a comemmortive edition car, celebrating a very popular driver.

shaggygrosser
06-08-04, 11:04 AM
Are they introducing a V6 to the Vibe? Currently there are only two I-4s available. A v6 with awd would be great if they can shoehorn it in.

My girlfriend recently got a Vibe, and I highly recommend it. Lots of room, utility, and fuel economy. A little noisy on the interior, but that might be because I'm used to my Cadillac interior.

From the research I did for her, I believe c5 rv is right, only I4s are in the Vibes, no V6s. But still, it's great value for the money.

Msilva954
06-08-04, 01:12 PM
Too bad a Buick GN isnt late model......how about a Regal GS w/ the Joesph Abbound package....or a Park Ave Ultra.

ShadowLvr400
06-08-04, 04:13 PM
Actually, a Chevy truck with the Duramax might make a pretty good buy. Deisel prices are pretty low, mileage is tolerable, the engines are pretty stout from what I hear. Ant they're not BAD looking trucks. I'd still prefer a Dodge truck with the Cummins, but that's me.

Vesicant
06-08-04, 04:26 PM
Theres like a 1000+ dollar (dealer installed) option to supercharge the Vibe / Matrix too... keep that in mind.

Msilva954
06-08-04, 04:30 PM
Then they make 200hp right????......Id really think of the Duramax too, but I like the Powerstroke Ford first then the Cummins Dodge next.....Though I like thoughs 4 wheels steering GMC's alot.

Chuck C
06-08-04, 06:09 PM
Let's recap everyone's suggestions so far:

- Chevy Malibu (3)
- Chevy Mailbu Maxx (1)
- Saturn Vue Base/Red Line (2)
- Pontiac G6 - avail. fall (2)
- CTS (3)
- STS - late model (5)
- SLS - late model (1)
- DTS - late model (1)
- Deville- late model (1)
- Pontiac GTO (2)
- Syclone or Typhoon ( :suspect: )
- 15 yr old Brougham
- C5 Corvette (1)
- Camaro SS/Trans AM WS6 (1)
- Chevy Silverado (2)
- Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon (2)
- Pontiac Vibe (3)
- Chevy Equinox (2)
- Bonneville GXP (1)
- Saab (1)
- GMC Envoy- late model (1)
- Chevy Monte Carlo SS (1)
- Buick Regal GS (1)
- Buick Park Ave. Ultra (1)

Let's be realistic. These are great suggestions and I expected a wide range since I asked what would "YOU" do. If I had to rank this list from most realistic to least realistic, here it is:

- Chevy Malibu (3)
- Chevy Mailbu Maxx (1)
- CTS (3)
- Saturn Vue Base/Red Line (2)
- Chevy Equinox (2)
- Saab (1)
- Pontiac G6 - avail. fall (2)
- Buick Regal GS (1)
- STS - late model (5)
- SLS - late model (1)
- GMC Envoy- late model (1)
- Pontiac Vibe (3)
- DTS - late model (1)
- Deville- late model (1)
- Pontiac GTO (2)
- Bonneville GXP (1)
- Buick Park Ave. Ultra (1)
- Chevy Monte Carlo SS (1)
- Camaro SS/Trans AM WS6 (1)
- C5 Corvette (1)
- Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon (2)
- Chevy Silverado (2)
- Syclone or Typhoon (:suspect:)
- 15 yr old Brougham

I know my friend...he would never drive a truck. He's looking for style, decent power, roominess, practicability, durability. Low insurance costs too. Also, the cars that push $30k would be great, but are not as realistic as say a 24k malibu. Thanks for all the help.

ShadowLvr400
06-08-04, 08:47 PM
The Malibu would be a good buy too, but I don't know the new drivetrain's durability.

SoundAdvantage
06-08-04, 09:00 PM
Cts 3.2 V-6 :)

Ralph
06-09-04, 01:55 AM

Oops, sorry, my mistake! I could have swore that the GT Vibe with173 hp was a V6, but alas, just a powerful 4. I still want one!

DopeStar 156
06-09-04, 11:35 PM
I'm glad you seem to be favoring the Malibu, I kinda like them too. MAXX or regular sedan they're all good. If you go sedan I'd get the LT model, try to really push your dollar for a fully loaded one.

shaggygrosser
06-10-04, 01:09 PM
Oops, sorry, my mistake! I could have swore that the GT Vibe with173 hp was a V6, but alas, just a powerful 4. I still want one!

True, I'd like one as a daily driver. But only the 2003-2004 models. They redesigned the facia for 2005 and it looks like uber-poop. Made it look like a chubby GTO.

T_Dogg8
06-10-04, 01:14 PM
i'd go with a used cts or maybe an '05 with a 2.8L engine. i heard something about them going for 29k.

actually i'd get a corvette for about 30, but then i prefer them over anything, just not the most practical car.

Sandy
06-10-04, 06:05 PM
Go here:-

http://www.chevrolet.com/monte_carlo/gallery.htm#top

then, click "Special Vehicles" on the lower left of your monitor, Click the Red Car !!!

Chuck C
06-10-04, 06:18 PM
Well, it's down to a few cars...probably the Equinox..I'll keep yuz posted

Msilva954
06-10-04, 06:58 PM
I had a wierd feeling it was the Equinox.......to bad the engine in that thing suxxxs.

Vesicant
06-10-04, 07:57 PM
Go here:-

http://www.chevrolet.com/monte_carlo/gallery.htm#top

then, click "Special Vehicles" on the lower left of your monitor, Click the Red Car !!!

They really ought to give the Monte Carlo with the Supercharged Series II 3.8, more HP. Especially for certain models like this where unique-ness counts.

Maybe a stout 270 or 280. I mean cmon, it doesnt even have a V8 anymore!

Chuck C
06-10-04, 09:18 PM
I had a wierd feeling it was the Equinox.......to bad the engine in that thing suxxxs.

I share the same setiments!! If saturn can make that 250hp V6 work in a compact SUV, why can't Chevy!

CVP33
06-10-04, 10:19 PM
Actually Saturn doesn't make the 250 HP V6. It's a Honda engine! :shhh:

Randy_W
06-10-04, 10:34 PM
Actually Saturn doesn't make the 250 HP V6. It's a Honda engine! :shhh:
I don't think he said they make it, he said; "they make it fit"...;)

Playdrv4me
06-10-04, 10:38 PM
Yea and its a limited run as well... get them while you can, the dent resistant door panels combined with the proven reliability of the Honda V6 should make for a very robust vehicle.

Chuck C
06-10-04, 11:07 PM
I don't think he said they make it, he said; "they make it fit"...;)

thanks for clarifying...

yes the honda V6 for the Vue is exciting indeed but for more reasons than it's power.

Honda's collaboration with GM means potential future engine offerings in different GM vehicles and the pooling of technologies that could expedite or enhance GM's future with hydrid engines. It's a win-win situation.

Chuck C
06-10-04, 11:37 PM
A little update about the Equinox:

I just opened up my new Car and Driver magazine, and here's what one person said in a letter in regard to the Equinox:

Let me get this straight: GM puts the Chinese-built pushrod boat anchor in the new Equinox, which looks to be a great vehicle otherwise. Meanwhile, it puts the excellent Honda V6 with 15 percent more torque and 35 percent more horsepower in the dated Saturn Vue. This is a joke, right? You should get whoever did this on "Dr. Phil" so he can ask him what he was thinking."

So it looks like most of us car watchers are a little steamed over this issue. I hope GM hears the cry.

Stoneage_Caddy
06-10-04, 11:51 PM
"A couple cars popped in my head including the new Malibu (great gas mileage) "

We have a MAXX , i really like it myself , so far only problem is the rear sunshades .but the rear seating area is amazing with the seats relcined and slid back , also has a tiptronic tranny !

The saab it is based off of is heads and tails diffrent , much more fun to drive , drove boath back to back at the GM event 2 months ago , the maxx is great but the saab is unbeliveable ...so....

Saab 9-3
pre loved Deville 2001+
pre loved CTS
Grand Prix GTP comp G
Malibu MAXX LS (my parents car)
chevy colorado with the hanldeing packge and the 5cyl , this was very fun !
GMC Sierra

Msilva954
06-11-04, 06:57 AM
I would also try a Saab...I bet the rebates are insane on those cars.

M STaR 013
06-11-04, 11:53 PM
ya, Malibu MAXXis a great car. LOADS of rear seat room, DVD player in back! Or SAAB 9-3 aero if you can negotiate it under 30K. well, as long as you get the 210hp engine in it, you can even get the arc. i like the saabs look a lot more, but both are smooth cars IMO. i see less saabs on the road, i would get one just to enter the "state of independence"...

M STaR 013
06-11-04, 11:54 PM
oh yeah, that Pontiac G6 looks pretty cool, too. that sunroof is sick! is it on the CTS platform?

airbalancer
06-12-04, 07:59 AM
I think I would look at a Pontaic Solstice which I belive will be in that price range out next year http://www.gmcanada.com/english/vehicles/pontiac/solstice/sols_gallery.html

Chuck C
08-06-04, 06:59 PM
My buddy ended up getting the new Equinox...silver, base model (on sale for $19,500, $21,500 after tax and fees).

Things I like:
-smooth ride (almost too smooth)
-styling
-room
-practicality
-smooth shifts
-acceleration for it's size and class

Things I don't like
-too much plastic
-steel wheels with wheel covers

Msilva954
08-06-04, 07:18 PM
On the bright side...............he can get some spinnin hubcaps.....lol

illumina
08-06-04, 08:36 PM
when they get on the used market, a black on black GTO w/manual shall be mine. :lildevil: