: Hop Fix?

CTS Dreams
07-10-08, 02:19 PM
Hey Guys, I am planning on hopefully picking up a V here shortly but the hop concerns me. I was reading about the new V and how they used different diameter axle shafts to prevent hop. They said it had to do with the axles winding up and releasing load and that being the same size caused them to bounce the energy back and forth but by making one side larger it could be prevented. Any thoughts on this? Anybody know an axle builder that could make a beefed up shaft?

silverAg
07-10-08, 02:51 PM
"search" would be your best friend...you'll have lots of info there;)

LUVMY04V
07-10-08, 03:03 PM
just crank the wheel and your all good :D

NormV
07-10-08, 03:39 PM
The most inexpensive and effective mod for 04/05 models is the washer mod. Other than that the car is quick enough just learning how to drive without spinning the tires and without electronics. :)

Norm

DRKSIDE
07-10-08, 10:17 PM
I know it is nice to get the hole shot and you don't want to break your car trying to clean your tires in the water box... but this car isn't built like a Mustang or Camaro (or insert your favorite 1/4 mile straight queen). This isn't a "smoke 'em till they catch" kind of car and it was not built for the local 1/8 mile track (although it holds it's own against the previously mentioned 2-door ponies). Just launch quietly, give them the 60 ft. and reel them in later.

This is a car made for the twisties! It was built to handle the curves and it does a great job at it right out of the box. Sure, you can get some hop coming out of the switchbacks if you are not carefull but if you are spinning that bad you are not doing a very good job managing your power. Granted, I am not throwing 500 hp at the back end like some of these guys but the last time I checked the object of both kinds of tracks (drag/autox) are to prevent the tires from spinning. If you can do this then your hopping issues are virtually nonexistant.

This car is aimed at the M cars that run the tracks with turns and hit the straights from a roll after carving off some sidewall. Standing starts only happen once in that kind of race. Welcome to the world of European racers, guys. It took us a while but we are finally competing in a world that used to laugh at our straight line power at the expense of our handling ability.

DISCLAIMER: The previous comments in no way are intended to disrespect the noble world of drag racers. While the CTS-V is a great and powerful car (all hail!) it was never intended to raise skinnies off the deck while wrinkling a set of Hoosiers. You are trying to compare Pamela Anderson with Sandra Bullock. One was created for short term shock and awe, the other was made to keep you interested once the lateral g's come at you.

rand49er
07-10-08, 10:39 PM
... You are trying to compare Pamela Anderson with Sandra Bullock. One was created for short term shock and awe, the other was made to keep you interested once the lateral g's come at you.:histeric:

StealthV
07-11-08, 12:39 AM
Here's an idea that has been brewing for a while after learning about the '09 V solution. Perhaps it's not original and if it's not, my apologies.

Solution: Install a larger diameter '06-'07 axle shaft on one side and a '04-'05 smaller axle on the other side.

Thoughts to ponder -

1. Which side should get the larger axle? The right?

2. By shear luck (no pun intended), would the LS6 and LS2 axle shafts have enough difference in properties to make it work?

3. Did GM break an '04-'05 axle and stumble...err...hop upon the '09 V solution by accident after installing a LS2 halfshaft on one side of a LS6 V? Or was there truly a pocket protector equipped, number-crunching nerdy engineer locked away in a cubicle for days on end being fed nothing but Mountain Dew and Twinkies and not allowed to come out until he had a solution for the '09 V?

4. How much do the fancy new shocks play in the equation?

5. How many here believe the Twinkie version of engineering?

Kmajecki
07-11-08, 12:44 AM
How does any of this get Jessica Simpson in my bed?:confused:

StealthV
07-11-08, 12:51 AM
You need an orange Charger son.

heavymetals
07-11-08, 05:49 AM
How about the "twinkie" defense (when you go postal)?

Works in Calif. :shhh:

DaveSRX
07-11-08, 09:05 AM
How does any of this get Jessica Simpson in my bed?:confused:

Gotta be one of the best replies ever! I almost fell out of my chair at work reading this one. Took the words right out of my mouth!

:histeric:

Kmajecki
07-11-08, 09:08 AM
Thanks Dave, always a good way to start off a Friday!

Maybe a Challenger would work? Looks more like the Dukes car anyway!

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r246/Kmajecki/ggg.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r246/Kmajecki/hhh.jpg

DaveSRX
07-11-08, 09:19 AM
Talk about a good time! :yup:

DVIcO3ejxpI

Ok, stop it. You are killing me here, how am I supposed to get any work done now? :bonkers:

rand49er
07-11-08, 09:32 AM
Here's an idea that has been brewing for a while after learning about the '09 V solution. Perhaps it's not original and if it's not, my apologies.

Solution: Install a larger diameter '06-'07 axle shaft on one side and a '04-'05 smaller axle on the other side.

Thoughts to ponder -

1. Which side should get the larger axle? The right?

2. By shear luck (no pun intended), would the LS6 and LS2 axle shafts have enough difference in properties to make it work?

3. Did GM break an '04-'05 axle and stumble...err...hop upon the '09 V solution by accident after installing a LS2 halfshaft on one side of a LS6 V? Or was there truly a pocket protector equipped, number-crunching nerdy engineer locked away in a cubicle for days on end being fed nothing but Mountain Dew and Twinkies and not allowed to come out until he had a solution for the '09 V?

4. How much do the fancy new shocks play in the equation?

5. How many here believe the Twinkie version of engineering?Read a post here not too long ago (maybe within a month or so?) where someone tried it. Unfortunately, he reported little if any improvement.

At the time, I posted a reply to the effect of trying it with significantly larger axle shafts than the '04/'05 and '06/'07 versions, each with a different diameter (like ~50mm and ~60mm or more if I recall correctly). In essence, this added torsional stiffness would effectively resist the storing and releasing of energy but would change the natural frequency (in torsion) of the rear suspension system.

You know, I'm sure GM sugar-crazed and caffeine-fueled engineers could really help here with exactly where the most torsional energy is getting stored and subsequently released causing the problem. Chime in anytime here guys/gals!

pveomett
07-11-08, 09:50 AM
Does anyone have the specs on how big the 09 V's shafts are?

lollygagger8
07-15-08, 03:17 PM
Thanks Dave, always a good way to start off a Friday!

Maybe a Challenger would work? Looks more like the Dukes car anyway!

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r246/Kmajecki/ggg.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r246/Kmajecki/hhh.jpg

That Challenger looks better in black than orange!! Did you happen to ummm have a spirited driving session with this "challenger" ? ha

Kmajecki
07-15-08, 03:25 PM
That Challenger looks better in black than orange!! Did you happen to ummm have a spirited driving session with this "challenger" ? ha

I tried, opened the cutouts when i got next to him so he definitely heard me. He was an older looking guy and apparently didnt feel like having his car shot down on one if its first flights! I was ready for it too! I had a spirited session with an IS-F when they first came out too, although i dont like to talk about that one :bomb:

slothV
07-15-08, 03:59 PM

Roughly speaking, the right hand shaft is twice the diameter (in the thickest section) compared to the left side.

Ballpark --> 60mm vs. 30mm

lollygagger8
07-15-08, 04:01 PM
Hhahaha well at least the Challenger was smart enough to step off.......are the F series Lexus's that fast!??! They must be super light or sumthin?

Kmajecki
07-15-08, 04:16 PM
Hhahaha well at least the Challenger was smart enough to step off.......are the F series Lexus's that fast!??! They must be super light or sumthin?

Well i wouldnt say he won, my nose was at his side mirror all the way through 3rd gear. It's that 8 speed automatic tranny they've got. Must have been nice just mashing the gas down and enjoying the show.

Oh and i agree, the Challenger looked pretty sweet in Black, i'm already tired of that orange!

Twitch
07-15-08, 09:34 PM
I'm sure its a lot more to it than that. You know they did something about our soft a$$ bushings.

trukk
07-16-08, 01:54 PM
Read a post here not too long ago (maybe within a month or so?) where someone tried it. Unfortunately, he reported little if any improvement.

At the time, I posted a reply to the effect of trying it with significantly larger axle shafts than the '04/'05 and '06/'07 versions, each with a different diameter (like ~50mm and ~60mm or more if I recall correctly). In essence, this added torsional stiffness would effectively resist the storing and releasing of energy but would change the natural frequency (in torsion) of the rear suspension system.

You know, I'm sure GM sugar-crazed and caffeine-fueled engineers could really help here with exactly where the most torsional energy is getting stored and subsequently released causing the problem. Chime in anytime here guys/gals!

Marty (LASSTSS) tried it way back when. He upgraded to the '06 half shafts, and did one at a time, to test this out. He said it made no difference.

-Chris

VDiddy
07-20-08, 08:50 AM
Taking the closepin off your nards should stop the hopping. :-)