: Solid Front Engine Mounts

AJxtcman
07-10-08, 12:45 AM
I am back at work and already have parts for 3 mounts!

Taking orders.

Life-Time Warranty

AJxtcman
07-10-08, 08:20 AM
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd25/AJxtcman/Northstar/HPIM0116.jpg
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd25/AJxtcman/Northstar/HPIM0117.jpg
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd25/AJxtcman/Northstar/HPIM0379.jpg

AJxtcman
07-10-08, 08:36 AM
$150
I will take $50 off if you have a core that I can uses.
This is the type I need or you are SOL and it will be $150
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd25/AJxtcman/Northstar/HPIM0378.jpg

NOT this type.
It is getting very common to be replacing the latest & greatest updated mount after only 6 to 8 months :eek:
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd25/AJxtcman/Northstar/HPIM0382.jpg

codewize
07-10-08, 09:40 AM
Interestingly enough I may need another one. A friend of mine whos mother has a DTS has had her mount replaced twice now at dealer rates and she was looking to me for a solution.

So as soon as mine is in and I can report back that it doesn't cause killer vibrations LOL, she'll take one. That's an 02 DTS

I'll let you know soon.

CadillacSTS42005
07-10-08, 12:15 PM
150 bucks for gm mount thatll last a few mths
or solid mount for 150 bucks that lasts forever
the choice is obvious and really the vibrations and everything else is minimal.
i recommend it

ejguillot
07-10-08, 05:30 PM
Vibrations? On my 2000 STS, I felt NO difference in vibration with the solid engine mount.

Now, the difference in throttle response was noticeable. Less lag, and it seems that you need a little bit less throttle at launch to get going.

danbuc
07-10-08, 05:53 PM
I would put a small polyeurothane bushing on top of that. The billet mount I bought from RSM back when they were still in business came with a small polyeurothane bushing on top to ride between the mount and the bracket. Metal on metal is never good. Just a suggestion.

AJxtcman
07-10-08, 08:32 PM
I would put a small polyeurothane bushing on top of that. The billet mount I bought from RSM back when they were still in business came with a small polyeurothane bushing on top to ride between the mount and the bracket. Metal on metal is never good. Just a suggestion.

I have been going over that and I can't for the life of me justify it.

Ok The mount bolts to the Bracket and the Bracket bolts to the engine. The Mount Bracket bolts to the engine with out any insulators.

The Cradle mounts are very thick Rubber and the Mount bolts to the cradle, so the body is well insulated from the engine.

The left and right Power Trian mounts attach the Power Train to the body and they have thick rubber and hydraulic insulation.

OK the one hitch. The Steering column I shaft. You know the one that clunks.
The new repair is to replace the shaft. The new shaft has a thick rubber insulator. The old one may give you a little more rough feel from the engine through the steering wheel, but if you have the updated I shaft you should be good.

Highline Cady
07-10-08, 11:15 PM
Barely noticeable vibration, noticed in the gas pedal. You get used to it after an hour, then you'll never even notice or remember, because you won't be back every other week (if you're a spirited driver) or every 6 months to a year if you're 90. And the replacements aren't cheap, even at wholesale prices, I'm sure just about all of you would be paying retail, unless certified then you pay nothing, but it's still a hassle to go in all the time. I love mine!!! Just my 2 cents.

codewize
07-11-08, 10:37 AM
AJ, can the core be a broken mount or does it have to be intact?

BTW I'm glad you're back to work

And I have a question. What's the book time on replacement. I cant understand what they're saying. Is it 2 hrs or .6 hrs?

Submariner409
07-11-08, 11:16 AM
Alldatadiy says 4.6 hours for the front motor mount......seems like a lot......the end cradle and rears are each less than an hour.

codewize
07-11-08, 11:52 AM
I looked at ALLData and it says .6 on the same page with some other mounts, trans, strut, etc.

Engine Mount
. Replace
. .
. . Right . B
. 0.6
. 0.7
Notes
. .
. . Strut Mount
. . .
. . . Right .
. 0.2
. 0.3
Notes
. . .
. . . Left .
. 0.2
. 0.3
Notes
. .
. . Front . B
. 2.0
. 2.8
Notes
. .
. . Left . B
. 0.6
. 0.7
Notes

But the way it's formatted on the page makes it confusing

CadillacSTS42005
07-11-08, 12:05 PM
i can say it took me max an hour to replace my moms 98
i unbolted the k frame in the front, removed the lower mount bolt and removed the bracket mounting it to the engine
then had a buddy pull down slightly on the k frame (supported of course) and i removed the brace and the mount as one
swapped the mount
then re-installed

used the same procedure on my 03

AJxtcman
07-11-08, 02:10 PM
AJ, can the core be a broken mount or does it have to be intact?

BTW I'm glad you're back to work

And I have a question. What's the book time on replacement. I cant understand what they're saying. Is it 2 hrs or .6 hrs?

Yes broken is fine

The mount used to pay 3+ hrs under warranty
Then they changed it to .8 hrs
Then the TSB came out and had us add the pie tin. The Labor time stayed .8 hrs. It can be done in about 20 minutes or a Deville. A DTS take more time. You need to disconnect the links for the suspension sensor and reconnect then figure about 5 minutes more. 1/2 hour tops on a hoist

AJxtcman
07-25-08, 08:41 AM
I have parts to build 5

I have a bracket so I can start to build a fixture so I can use the newer type of mounts also. That is in the begining stages.

Codewize doesn't like his so well. :bigroll: I am going to design one for him with a Poly bushing/shim. I am not sure how it will turn out. I am not sure if it will make a difference at all.

MED stopped by and went for a ride in Highlines DHS. He siad the car felt great and he could not tell it had a solid mount. :thumbsup:

codewize
07-25-08, 09:32 AM
Aww man it's not that I don't like it. There's just more harmonics than I expected. I'm pretty picky when it comes to vibration and stuff.

Actually it's more that noise at low speed than it is the vibration. It's almost like an exhaust sounds if your just cruising at low speed. Very difficult to explain.

Don't knock yourself out on this right now. I don't have the cash to keep replacing these :) We'll do it but don't go out of your way to make mine right away.

CadillacSTS42005
07-25-08, 06:23 PM
i like mine
as for a noise, the corsa and bose do pretty well of disallowing me from hearing much of anything lol

AJ my comp leaves tomorrow back to ya
thanks again

Highline Cady
07-29-08, 12:51 PM
A Corsa solves the noise problem Code.:histeric:

Highline Cady
07-29-08, 12:52 PM
Just noticed STS stole my thunder. Oh well great minds think alike? Scary isn't it? The idea scares me. Just kidding STS.

tateos
07-29-08, 01:56 PM
What do you guys think is the best procedure to change this mount on a 2000 DTS?

I have seen a couple different procedures. What I did on my '97 ETC was to remove the fans and unbolt the mount from the cradle and the bracket form the block and the head, and then jacked up the engine and trans to get clearance to remove the mount and bracket. That is different from the FSM and the TSB I have seen, so what have you guys done that has worked well?

Necrosan
07-29-08, 02:51 PM
Can you use the mount in my 94 Eldorado? I don't even know if it's broken. What's an easy way to check?

Highline Cady
07-29-08, 03:27 PM
Left foot on brake right foot on gas, if the motor's jumping you need a new one. Usually you'll suspect it's going or gone by the clunking sound under hard acceleration. Real common that's why going solid can save you from replacing it every other week if you are a "spirited" driver and you can live with a slight vibration mainly in the gas pedal, you get used to it after a couple hours, now I don't even notice until I drive one with regular mounts.

98_STS_Lover
08-27-08, 11:00 PM
How do I get one of those solid mounts? send me instructions.

DART505
09-05-08, 12:31 PM
AJ,can you send me the contact info. I am going to check mine,I think it is bad. Have people changed just the front before or do you change them all?
Thanks!
Chris

codewize
09-05-08, 04:44 PM
Just the front. The others aren't a problem.

mgturbo1
09-06-08, 04:51 PM
I need one of these mounts for my 1999 STS. Please let me know how to pay etc. etc..
Thanks.

PS: I don't know how to pm, Or maybe I can't:bonkers:

mgturbo1
09-09-08, 08:50 PM
Anybody home?
I Need a mount!
What about Advance auto Parts? Lifetime warranty?

codewize
09-09-08, 09:00 PM
AJ handcrafts these solid mounts. The OE mount will cost you about $300. I highly doubt Advance Auto or any of those guys is going to carry one.

I'll PM AJ for you and let him know you're looking.

Anybody home?
I Need a mount!
What about Advance auto Parts? Lifetime warranty?

mgturbo1
09-10-08, 08:53 PM
AJ handcrafts these solid mounts. The OE mount will cost you about $300. I highly doubt Advance Auto or any of those guys is going to carry one.

Thanks codewize. I guess I am to new and cannot yet PM.
my email qaz@hughes.net
that is a "Q" not G

AJxtcman
09-10-08, 10:36 PM
Waiting on the pipe I use.

The one thing I had lots of and was told I could have as much as I want. Now I collected the other parts and I can't get a stinkin piece of pipe

codewize
09-11-08, 02:30 PM
Oh crap. I never sent you my old one.

The one thing I had lots of and was told I could have as much as I want. Now I collected the other parts and I can't get a stinkin piece of pipe

mgturbo1
09-11-08, 07:54 PM

Any idea how long?
I still need one of these mounts for my 1999 STS. Please let me know how to pay etc. etc..
Thanks.

darien99
09-16-08, 09:31 PM

I got my mounts from advance auto. Lifetime warranty :thumbsup:

codewize
09-16-08, 11:51 PM
Bwaaaa. I don't mean to be rude but if GM can't make a mount last more then 6 months, how the heck is Advance Auto going to give you a lifetime warranty?

You'll be under there changing them ever 8 weeks or so. Are the mounts on the 95 the same?

I got my mounts from advance auto. Lifetime warranty :thumbsup:

mgturbo1
09-17-08, 03:47 PM

Hey AJ.
In bad need. Any idea as to when.
I still need one of these mounts for my 1999 STS. Please let me know how to pay etc. etc..
Thanks.

Necrosan
09-17-08, 06:46 PM
You don't need to keep posting, mgturbo. 1 post should more than suffice, and I'm almost certain posting twice won't bump you up the list.

AJxtcman
09-18-08, 09:05 AM
I reminded Highline that I needed the pipe again.
I am hoping before the end of the week. I need the cash

ronbo
09-26-08, 01:36 PM
Is this the same front mount for my '98 Aurora?

Can't see it to tell... but it sure makes noises when turning under acceleration, and even straight-line acceleration... sounds like something binding, transferring engine noises to the chassis.

Also, do any other mounts go bad on these? My upper engine mount (pass. side) looks well beaten... can it allow too much "sag"?

I've contemplated replacing cradle to chassis mount bushings with urethane... as well as sway bar bushings and end-link grommets (looking for a little more handling precision... already upgraded to Boss 318 18x8 & 255r45 rims & rubber). Got the Seville strut tower brace, though not installed yet.

I know you're busy, but you are also the one who 'knows all things Cadillac' (and Aurora... which was originally supposed to be a Cadillac) :-)

97EldoCoupe
11-28-08, 09:36 AM
Auroras don't have a front engine mount. At all.

ndfan
10-08-11, 09:58 AM
Is this mount still available? I need one for an 01 Seville STS.... Thanks

Submariner409
10-08-11, 11:07 AM
Strictly do-it-yourself now. This thread went dead three years ago. Several members and vendors tried producing solid mounts but it didn't pan out. There have been on or two other attempts since then - a member in the Ukraine made one from pipe stock, studs, flat stock and a large diesel engine tubular rubber motor mount insert.

Another recently cleaned out the broken mount assembly, flushed it well with solvent, and packed the boot with RTV silicone. We have yet to hear the long-term result. You can accomplish the same end result by cleaning out the boot and packing it totally with slow-curing (minimum exothermic reaction) epoxy putty. Several brands come to mind - WEST System for one - you would want to mix the putty, using a bulk filler powder, to a consistency of sour cream/mayonnaise so it wouldn't run all over the place during curing.

It's all in these Northstar threads and in the nearby forum named Cadillac Tech Tips.

codewize
10-11-11, 02:21 AM
Don't know but I like not having to change the damn thing every 6 months.