: My Last STS

bigdog9586
07-09-08, 10:26 PM
I've now had my 07 STS 2 years this Oct. and at first I really liked it but about 6 weeks ago bought a new 08 HHR. Even though it cost less than 1/2 the price of the STS it has better enginieering or common sense put into it than the STS. I can push the sunroof button and it opens all the way, I don't have to push it twice to do what it should do the first time. I can roll down all the windows, open the roof and not have the wind blowing on my left ear driving my hearing aid bonkers. The steering wheel butons are the way they should be and are on most GM cars. I can go up through my choosen station and down too. A big plus. I like the power steering better too. When I go back to the STS it feels like the power steering went out the first time I turn. I can go through the car wash and when it gets to the air blasters at the end the roof don't kaboom when the power of the blowers hit it. The sliding roof has a net feature that I think keeps more of the air from coming in a buffing the interier too. I know there are somethings I have left out but you get my point. Its sounds as quiet as the Sts but don't ride as good and don't have all the options the STS has but pound per pound and dollar for dollar its a better deal than the STS.

c5 rv
07-09-08, 10:39 PM
I took a HHR for a test drive when they first came out. I really wanted to like the car because of the looks. But, even with the larger engine it felt very underpowered and the seating position was too low in the cabin. I felt like I was driving a bathtub. Maybe they are better now.

OldAlbert
07-10-08, 12:27 PM
I am on my 5th Cadi (second STS). Each time I resolve to move to another maker - GM design and customer relations is not confidence inspiring. But when I price the competitions, greed sets in and I go for the most features and performance for the buck. I really like Ford's engineering and keep hoping that Lincoln will close in on GM. So I guess I am hooked!

c5 rv
07-10-08, 01:19 PM
I'm waiting to see what the AWD Lincoln MKS is like. It might be the replacement for my SRX & MKZ. Then again, I'll also consider a new or CPO CTS, STS, DTS, or Lucerne.

bigdog9586
07-10-08, 02:34 PM
Try the new SS version, 260HP, different seating etc. I guess my point was the STS should be GM's flagship car and should be a world class car but when for 18K you can buy in my opinion a better thought out car, it's a shame.:hide:
================

I took a HHR for a test drive when they first came out. I really wanted to like the car because of the looks. But, even with the larger engine it felt very underpowered and the seating position was too low in the cabin. I felt like I was driving a bathtub. Maybe they are better now.

C&C
07-11-08, 06:34 AM
Ah 'grasshopper', I think you don't see the "Forest for the Trees". The STS hasn't had a major redo since 2005; technology changes and new features get onto newly refined/introduced vehicles. Comparing a HHR to a STS is folly (if you just pick and choose a couple features as your database).

justgreat
07-11-08, 06:40 PM
an hhr compared to an sts....i don't know where to begin.....

i did drive an hhr as a loaner and i was stunned at how crude the drivetrain was...the accelerator pedal had the age old gm "touch me and i'm gonna lurch this beast forward in a second" syndrome...after all these years, it was disappointing to see that the engineers still couldn't get it right...

jackg
06 sts6

ps: my sts has one of the best drivetrains i have had the pleasure of driving....2wd with the 3.42 rear end...amazing punch around town for a v6 and i'm getting nearly 20mpg in strictly aroundtown driving...never going over 40mph...to me, that's impressive.

drjdan
07-12-08, 12:15 AM
I have a 2008 STS V6 Prem Sport. What is my rear end?

What is the rear end of the regular V6?

What is rear end of the V*

Benjamin Simon
07-12-08, 01:50 AM
WTF?? Is this a job?

firststs
07-12-08, 09:09 AM
> The steering wheel butons are the way they should be and are on most GM cars. I can go up through my choosen station and down too. A big plus.

Oops, you should have looked at '08 STS; the steering wheel buttons do let go up and down the radio presets.

> I like the power steering better too. When I go back to the STS it feels like the power steering went out the first time I turn.

HUH?? Do you mean the power steering in your STS was broken?

rb92gt
07-12-08, 11:18 AM
HHR!!!??? Seriously? Not to offend anyone, but that is one of the ugliest cars on the road. You can't compare an HHR to an STS. You can compare it to the PT cruiser, minivans, neons and the like.

skippydts
07-26-08, 09:44 AM
Those aren't even real excuses to get so upset about and put down the STS for.
I don't even own an STS and I like it better than the HHR, that is based on my DTS experience

dkozloski
07-26-08, 12:33 PM
Did you ever run across one of those people that walk into a crowded room and announce something rediculous just for shock value?

bigdog9586
07-27-08, 04:52 PM
I didn't mean it as a direct comparison as far as ride and drive as it costs over twice as much. What I met it as here is a simple cheap car that GM put together so things work as they should. For example, why do I have 2 buttons on both cars for the sunroof but only the HHR opens it fully with one touch. Why does the STS stop half way open? Why can the wife and I pull into a store, shut off the engine (both keep power active for about 10 min.) but she can get out of the passenger seat while the power stays active. Only shuts off when drivers door opens. Again, who was asleep at the switch. Caddy has all the money so has all the best enginieers but they got their heads buried in the sand or somewhere else..:lildevil:
==============

an hhr compared to an sts....i don't know where to begin.....

i did drive an hhr as a loaner and i was stunned at how crude the drivetrain was...the accelerator pedal had the age old gm "touch me and i'm gonna lurch this beast forward in a second" syndrome...after all these years, it was disappointing to see that the engineers still couldn't get it right...

jackg
06 sts6

ps: my sts has one of the best drivetrains i have had the pleasure of driving....2wd with the 3.42 rear end...amazing punch around town for a v6 and i'm getting nearly 20mpg in strictly aroundtown driving...never going over 40mph...to me, that's impressive.

drjdan
07-28-08, 12:53 AM
My understanding the reason so many cars have the sun roof stop about 3/4 way back is at that setting the rear seat passengers do not get as much wind.

Benjamin Simon
07-28-08, 04:13 AM
Perhaps i am not following you, but i only need to press the sunroof button once to fully open. I will note, it must be pressed all of the way.

rb92gt
07-28-08, 09:43 PM
With one press, mine will only open 3/4. The open button does have two positions, but position one will only open it until button released, position two (fully depressed) will open it automatically to 3/4.