: How many gallons Dex-Cool will I need.....

zr1mark
07-09-08, 10:41 AM
I'm going to do the flush thing this weekend.
Will 2 gallons be enough ???
99' Eldo with the Northstar.

Thanks all :thumbsup:

Mark B.

codewize
07-09-08, 11:03 AM
1 Gallon is enough. When you do a 50 / 50 mix you'll have 2 gallons and you're only going to get about 6 quarts out of it. If you're going to do a real flush and not just a drain then have 2 on hand.

Why are you putting DEX in a 99 ? Was that spec then?

Submariner409
07-09-08, 11:26 AM
I think DEX started in '96 or '97.

zr1, While you're at it, pick up a couple of gallons of distilled water at the grocery store......no chlorine, fluoride like city water, and no iron, minerals like deep well water. Use that to make your 50/50 mix.

Don't go crazy trying to flush out everything with a hose and fresh water......drain down as much coolant as you can, (Does your car call for 3 GM sealant tablets to be placed in the lower radiator hose?), and refill with DEXCOOL mixture. Leave the surge tank cap off, start the car, and watch the purge line for bubbles......if the coolant drops below halfway in the tank, carefully add more, and as the system bleeds, the bubbling will stop. Replace the cap. With the tank level at halfway, go for a 10 minute drive. Come back and let the car cool before you remove the tank cap. After the car has cooled to less than warm, check the coolant level. Bring it to halfway up the tank, no more. Replace the cap tightly. Good to go.

If you get antsy about the 6 or so quarts you left in the engine, do the job again this fall. If the coolant was done in the last 4 years, don't worry about what didn't drain.........

Ranger
07-09-08, 12:22 PM
GM started using Dex in '96.

codewize
07-09-08, 12:38 PM
Yes, everything they said.

Interesting on the 96' I guess I didn't know that.