: oil can lite on and engine shuts down

bill44237
07-08-08, 08:07 PM
97 Deville with Northstar engine, last week the oil can lite came on and it shut down with my wife, she let it set and started it back up. no more problems for 2 days then it did it again. i took it to the dealer and he said he reset a misfire code but didn't see any problem. she drove it about a 100 miles a day for 3 days then tonite it did it again 4 or 5 times before she got it home. oil level is fine. i got in and checked the codes and they are PZM B0533 History, PCM P1520 History and PCM P1599 history, no other codes. any help for this? thanks

chubbyranger
07-08-08, 08:27 PM
B0533 - Fuel Sensor Open/Shorted To B+
P1520 - Transmission Range Switch Circuit
P1599 - Engine Stall or Near Stall Detected

Low oil pressure will not shut the engine down (unless it seizes). It may be that the engine is stalling out and th eoil pressure light comes on as it dies. I think I would chase the fuel sensor code first but you will need FSM or Alldata to get the diagnostic procedure.

Mark C
07-09-08, 12:08 PM
The fuel sensor DTC is the one that makes your fuel gauge indicate that your tank is filling back up when you get down to 1/2 tank of so. Sender itself needs to be replaced (30 dollar part) to cure that one which on a 97 means the tank comes out.

Did it stall coming up to a light or stop sign? My guess would be the transmission is not shifting out of gear at low speeds, or the torque converter is not unlocking and stalling the engine.

bill44237
07-09-08, 01:08 PM
near as i can tell from her explaining it is that the engine has probably died and the oil lite is on then, but the car just quits going down the road. thanks for the help. not sure what to do with it now. guess i need to start driving it and see if it will quit on me and how it acts then.