: Phone / Stereo integration options

mschlott
07-08-08, 04:52 PM
What options are available to integrate the stereo and or microphone to a cell phone?

In my old honda I bought an adapter that let me connect an RCA jack to the Aux input of the stereo. I then used an external mic and switch to Aux to talk on the phone or play MP3s from my phone.

I have seen the thread on Iphone/MP3 player integration using bluetooth and a cable kit. Is anyone using that for a phone other than Iphone? Do incoming or outgoing calls mute the stereo? I don't want a blue tooth console visible in my car, can it be hidden away?

My phone has a single input/output 1/8" jack for stereo hands free ear buds. Is there anything that would tie this into the stereo?

I don't have verizon or on star and don't want either. All I want to do is connect any phone to my car and use the cars speakers and mic while driving.

Any good solutions?

mike

heavymetals
07-08-08, 04:55 PM
I think Reed is.

Check out the FAQ's

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/

JimmyH
07-12-08, 11:32 AM
Reed does not have any more of the Onstar adapters, at least to my knowledge.

Parrot MK6100. It is plug and play. Almost. You unplug the grey and brown connectors from the back of the radio, and plug the connectors from the parrot in their place. You then plug those connectors into the Parrot harness. The only wiring needed is to get switched power from the hvac connector. If you are interested, I have pictures I can post. Or go to the CTS03-07 forum and search on Parrot. I posted some writeups.

When a call comes in, the parrot blocks the audio from the radio and replaces it with the phone call. When the phone call ends, it goes back to the radio.
The good part is that the phone call comes from all the speakers, and sound quality is excellent; You can adjust the volume of the call right from the radio, and even pretty loud, there is no feedback for the person on the other end; also if you get a a2dp mp3 player, you can stream it to the parrot. I have not tried it yet, but I am anxious to see what the sound quality is like, since it is going straight into the amp just like the radio signal is.

The only downside is the radio has to be on. When you turn off the radio, the amp turns off with it. And the amp needs to be on for the phone call to come through the speakers. But I would imagine most of us have the radio on all the time anyway.

Oh and as far as the bluetooth console, the MK has a great display and a wireless button pad you can mount on the steering wheel (so you do not even have to take your hands off the wheel to answer a call) Most bluetooth kits are going to require you to at least press the kit button to answer a call. With the parrot at least, if you answer from the phone, it goes into "discreet" mode, meaning from the phone, not the handsfree kit.

There is one other kit out there that has just a simple button and that is it. It is designed so you can use an opening somewhere on your dash or console (or drill a hole) and it gives you a flush, OEM look. I will see if I can find it and post back.

jerrad
07-12-08, 12:04 PM
I have a "parrot" bluetooth kit. I have it running into my ashtray so you cant see it at all if the tray is closed. You have to manually turn down the radio if you can't hear over the radio but I've never had a problem with that. Also, you can turn up the volume of the call by turning a knob so you can just turn it up over the radio noise and be ok.

JimmyH
07-12-08, 02:10 PM
You must be using the external speaker then. It sounds much better when you run it through the radio. And you don't have to turn down the radio, since the sound is gone when the call comes in.

jerrad
07-12-08, 03:25 PM
Mine plays through the center speaker only. Sounds fine to me but I haven't heard the other option.