: Help With Aftermarket Stereo

DMarsh508
07-07-08, 02:08 PM
I have a 1997 cadillac deville. i recently bought a kenwood KDC-MP538U deck and two kenwood KFC-W3011 subs. When i bought the stereo i bought it from Crutchfield.com and they didnt have a wiring harness or a dash kit for it with i figured it would be fine and i would hardwire it and make a dash peice for it once the stereo was in. I need a wiring diagram for the car. When i tok the harness out there are about 20 wires on the stock harness and only 15 on the kenwood harness so i need to know what to do about that. and i also need to know what colors correspond to what in the stock harness.
Ive been told that if you replace the stereo that the chimes and safty features are integrated with the stock stereo and they will stop working. I was wondering if that was true and if it is will that make me fail inspection. I live im Massachusetts and im not sure about the regulations for inspection.

When i bought the vehicle there was already a 10 cd changer in the truck, there is a small sony unit on the dash to control it. But the steering wheel controls dont work for the radio or the heat and i think it might have something to do with when they installed the cd changer.
The ABS and traction control lights stay on constantly even though there is no problem and i was wondering if that had anything to do with the cd changer as well.

I was reading a post from a different forum and the guy said he installed his and the chimes and safty features work perfectly and so do the steering wheel controls.

this is exactly what he told another user on the forum....

"I was browsing around the net for something totally differrent for my 98 Caddy and saw your question.

I just had an aftermarket head unit installed in my 98 Deville, so it can be done with great success. I see no reason you couldn't do the same in a 96.
The trick is to find an installer who REALLY knows what he's doing. Someone that has no clue could do serious damage.
There are a number of things to consider:
Retained Accessory Power.
The security system you have (if any)
On Star (if any)
Keeping the steering wheel remote controls.

(he gave some links to parts here i had to delete so my post wasnt flagged as spam)

Just look around until you find all you need.
But above all, leave this to a very knowledgeable installer... Plugs WILL vary even in the same model year.

I found that having done a lot of research on the internet really helped me ask the right questions when picking an installer. If they say "you'll only loose the chimes" just walk away.
I choose one that does a lot of competition install, and sponsors local events. They are really familiar with all that stuff.

Now that all is done I have:
A new aftermarket head unit, with integrated CD, HD radio, external Sirius tuner, an auxiliary plug for my mp3/video player. New speakers in the car, a boom box and amplifier in the trunk (never thought I'd do that but the overall sound quality is fabulous!).
The HU is controlled from the steering wheel and the car still behaves exactly like it did with the factory radio.
i.e. the chime comes on if you open the door with the key in the ignition, the memroy seats still work, the radio stays on for a while when you switch the car off or until you open the door, etc...

While I was at it I installed an alarm and remote starter, which both require someone who will not mess your car's computer up also."

thank you to anybody who can answer any or all my questions. i really appreciate it

DMarsh508
07-07-08, 02:55 PM
anyone?

DMarsh508
07-07-08, 11:49 PM
nobody can help me?

still_walkin
07-09-08, 05:34 AM
i installled a aftermarket radio in my 86 deville and my chimes work still the headlights after ingition off seatbelt chime etc. here is the wiring for your car. you need to put a 5 amp fuse on your memory wire which is you orange between the factory wiring and the new harness. if you wanyt to go stock in the future spilce the wires.
Constant 12V+ Orange
Switched 12V+ Yellow
Ground Black
Illumination Gray
Dimmer Brown
Antenna Trigger Pink
Antenna Right Rear
Front Speakers 5 1/4" Dash
Left Front (+) Tan
Left Front (-) Gray
Right Front (+) Light Green
Right Front (-) Dark Green