: 2000 SLS keeps stalling

cplumm
07-07-08, 03:03 PM
Guys,

My 2000 SLS is currently constantly shutting down only after warms up. I have taken it to 3 mechanic's without success. I have changed the map sensor and 1 coil pack/ spark plugs and the air filter and still the problem remains. The 02 sensor in bank 2 is reading as if it's not there which is causing the car to burn rich. I have changed all the 02 sensors and the one in bank 2 still isn't working even after changing it for a second time. The car has 145000 miles on it and i'd like to get at least another year or 2 out of it before buy a new car. Could this be a computer issue?

Any ideas would be gladly appreciated.

misfit6794
07-07-08, 03:25 PM
Pull the codes from the dash, search the forums for how. Sounds alot like a bad crankshaft position sensor, which should set a code.

Ur7x
07-07-08, 09:22 PM
Not true... when my 2002 would stall (all of the time) the computer NEVER set a code... it was like the car just shut itself off... To get the computer to set a code you need to sit there in traffic for a good 30 seconds... Stalled...

Most people don't do this ... They either shift to neutral and fire it back up or the turn off the car and cry... If you do either... No code..

If its a 2000-2003 Northstar and it stalls then the crank sensors are toast. VERY common problem...

If the crank sensors of the new design... Then you have a vacuum leak somewhere.

matt2001
07-20-08, 04:50 PM
I have a 2000 STS with 100k miles. I just recently started having the random stall issue. It hasn't set a code yet, but if i'm idling (usually after i've been doing slow driving) the car will randomly shut off. I haven't had the dash lights turning off issue, so i'm pretty sure it's not a battery connection. I crank it and the car will fire right back up again, no problems. Should I just replace the CKP sensors to be safe?

There are also times when i'll be driving down the highway and the engine will sputter once. It's not a single cylinder miss, it's like an entire revolution of fires misses (8 cylinders in a row). My rpm's will drop for a split second, and the engine will take back off again. I really need to figure this out before my trip to michigan this weekend, i'd hate to have it die in chicago traffic.

Ranger
07-20-08, 05:09 PM
Sounds like CKP sensors to me. Especially if they are original, which would be hard to believe at 8 yrs and 100K.

Ur7x
07-21-08, 01:36 PM
Bet ya that his 2000 had the sensors replaced at about 45,000 miles in 2002/2003 and he got a replacement set of "bad" sensors... and those sensors lasted another 45-50,000 miles...

If he is on the original set... he has set some kind of record... I don't know of a single 2000-2002 Northstar/Shortstar that has gone over 60,000 miles on the original sensors...

GM should have recalled them ALL

dmhirschhorn
08-06-08, 04:31 PM
My 2000 Eldorado has been in the shop for 8 days and they can't determine what is wrong. Same symptoms, stalls and restarts without problem. The CKP sensor was replaced last year. Do you think they need to be replaced again? Thanks so much. They're telling me to pick it up and drive it until it dies completely. That's not an option as I already feel unsafe driving it. (Died 3 times in two miles!!!)

Thanks again. Darlene

Submariner409
08-06-08, 06:02 PM
dmh............Does your car stall when coasting to a stop and/or late in the warmup cycle when coasting around a corner at slow speed OR does it stall on the highway or during acceleration ? CKP faults manifest at slow speed coast down. The CMP (CaMshaft Position sensor) will generally not stall the car but will cause the ignition system to default into a sort of "limp home" mode.

Your car has TWO crankshaft position sensors, either of which could be bad, and both of which should have been replaced at the same time......$200-300 for both at an independent shop, $350-475 at a Cadillac dealer. The new sensors are 1 gray, 1 black, as opposed to tan and black.

If your shop is an independent, do they know how to enter the car's diagnostic system and read the stored codes........it can be done in the car without external scanners or computers.......the system is already built in. Study the stickys ^^^ at each forum page top titled "How to pull codes" and "Got codes? Look here".

Print these drawings and give them to your mechanic. Click and scroll in.

Ur7x
08-06-08, 08:43 PM
A big X2... if you replace ONE Crank Sensor YOU NEED TO REPLACE THEM BOTH...

The computer uses one sensor to test the other... so when one goes bad the computer is really just guessing when it issues a code... Replace them both... every time... As I posted above... lots of times this stall condition will happen without issuing a code.

Even if you are lucky and you do get a CKP sensor code 50% of the time it will be wrong...

tateos
08-06-08, 08:53 PM
Nice illustrations, sub!

matt2001
08-07-08, 10:38 AM
I replaced my CKP sensors last night, both of them as indicated. Took the car for a spin, and not only has the stalling gone away but my throttle response is much better. I was getting a severe "lag" around 2100-2300 rpms (I say lag, because it feels just like turbo lag does in a turbo'd car). It was a simple fix. A jack, pair of stands, trim removal tool, 10mm open wrench, 10mm socket, and an hour on my back was all it took. I wouldn't bring my car to a shop on this one, it's quite easy.

Submariner409
08-07-08, 10:56 AM
Just as a "heads up" for CKP replacements.........After the job is done the PCM/DTC system will begin grooming the ignition because of extremely small timing differences which will eventually be learned and stored. You don't have to do anything about it, but you just might fail a OBD-II plugin emissions test if you went in for it within 3 weeks or so of the CKP work. The system in your car has to settle down and develop a clean start-run cycle history in order tell the emissions test set "Ready".....if not, fail and come back.

vernons
09-03-08, 09:51 PM
my wife has an 02 deville and it has done the stalling thing periodicaly since we bought it. had read about possible cps problems. but it would never leave any codes...finally it did and i bought the 2 sensors from steve foley cadillac in northbrook ill. 888-495-9043 for parts.
they have them on ebay advertised for about 110.00 for both.. thats where i found themm.
never has stalled since,been over 6 months....
good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!