: another n* head gasket question

neverstuck
07-07-08, 01:48 PM
well the 96 eldo has started to use some AF and is getting a slight burble in the idle ...Im guessing that its gonna be time soon for the head gaskets to get done ...being I dont have the time nor facilities to do this job at home I have to farm it out..I really just would like to ask a few small questions that I couldnt find answers to .

question 1....relative cost of this job ?Im thinking like 3 grand
question 2....Would it be a better Idea to have the dealer do it or a local shop?
question 3....will the dealer have a warranty on the job other than like 90 days?

Im not a fan of dealerships . But Im new to my area and dont know any mechanics here that I trust .

I really thank everyone on this sight for all the help Ive gotten in the past ..

big craig

ryannel2003
07-07-08, 02:09 PM
Before I bought my Seville, the headgaskets were done at my dealership. The cost (along with water pump, new motor mount, belts, etc.) was around $3000. However, that was what it cost the dealership. It would have probably cost me around $3000-$4000. Make sure your quote includes timeserting; it is a wise thing to do; its been shown cars w/o timeserts will usually fail again. As for dealer vs shop, my dealer gave me a 12mo/12k mile warranty on the headgaskets; thats the norm from what I've read. Personally, I'd have it done at a Cadillac dealership. While it's usually cheaper to get an independent shop to do it, there is more of a possibility of something else screwing up.

neverstuck
07-07-08, 02:35 PM
thats been my thinking from the beginning..normally id do this myself but Im done with working on my own cars these days ...timeserts are a definite need ,I wouldnt do it any other way ..thanx for yer input.

Ranger
07-07-08, 04:48 PM
If you go with someone other than a dealer, make damned sure they are familiar with the Northstar and have done this before. You do not want to be their guinea pig. Many shops are not familiar with it and are afraid if them and will not touch them.

neverstuck
07-07-08, 10:41 PM
yeah ,my gut told me to do the dealer route...Im gonna drive the car another few weeks and then deal with it ..no smoke yet and not using much af.just the lil rough idle and stinky exhaust when cold .Im gonna just see where this heads ...I really like the car to much to just dump it for no money but the cost is kickin me in the butt too ...ugh I dreaded this day ........It does seem that the motor was out of the car once and Im hoping it was for a head gasket job and it was already time serted...I would think that might help me on the price.

Ranger
07-07-08, 11:18 PM
Doubtful. If it was Timeserted, it should not have failed again (if it was done correctly).

neverstuck
07-08-08, 10:01 AM
yeah I was thinking that it wouldnt have failed again too...gonna drop it to a dealer for a confirmation on the hg issue next week well see what happens ....Ill keep posting on the events that follow this ....

thanx again for all the help these forums have provided

chubbyranger
07-08-08, 08:34 PM
Be prepared that some dealers may not want to fix it - they will try to sell you on a reman N* as a better route. If that's the case you may have tofind another dealer or shop. If you have to go independent, call a machine shop in your area and ask them who does the most N* heads locally.

neverstuck
07-08-08, 10:22 PM
just on the curious side .If the dealer has said that they wanna do a reman..do I have major downside to this? and what do they hit you for that bill?
cause I was thinking of that being an option ..but are the remans GM rebuilds ? are they timeserted ? wow Im going to caddy tommorow to get some more info.

neverstuck
07-09-08, 07:01 PM
ok heres where we stand today. bought a napa block tester , tsted the system while hot and running ,no change in color..tested while off and no change either...gonna let the car get ice cold tonight and test it in the am cold ,seems thats where the bad running and stinass exhayst seem to be prevalant

car ran fine on 60 mile run today yet after a hard wot onto the pkwy the car ran 1 line over half ,it seems to do that once in a while ..ambient temp was 95 today with real high humidity ....
If i get no color change when cold ,then Im gonna need some clues as to why IM getting a cold running issue and a slight burbblu at idle ....

Im getting into it full blast tommorow ....

tateos
07-09-08, 07:33 PM
Sounds to me like the HGs are good... for now...

neverstuck
07-09-08, 11:34 PM
sorry bout the earlier spelling ...totally shot from a rough day ..sorry ...Im gonna check it cold in the am and see where I am at ...if its not the HG and I have no codes Im gonna go with a bad injector or intake gasket ...talk to you all tommorow

neverstuck
07-10-08, 08:37 AM
well as it seems Im not getting any exhaust gassess into my cooling system (yay) the fluid changed slightly green but not even close to yellow...I even tested the fluid by usunig the unit to sniff the exhaust and it turned very yellow ...So Im thinking after testing in many different engine thermal conditions that I donot have a blown hg...now whats gonna give me filthy smelling exhaust ,and a cold crappy idle ?...it actually feels as though (if this car had a carb ) that the choke was closed ,kinda bogs down but only for like 5 minutes..and its not undrivable for those 5 either ,its just a lil boggy ..car warms up quick ,never overheats though it will run up 1 line past half on hot days but drops with time as driving....so Im pulling plugs today to see if Im getting a rich condition in any cyliders...

Ranger
07-10-08, 10:56 AM
Have you checked for a leaky FPR?

neverstuck
07-10-08, 11:16 AM
ranger what would the FPR be ,not to sound stupid.

neverstuck
07-10-08, 11:19 AM
duh fuel pressure regulator ..wow no coffee yet ...no I actually havent because in cars Ive had with faulty fpr they were usually a hard start .als I am also thinking a bad egr valve ,though all the signs arent there its a could be..well Im gonna start with the basics again today and ill keep the post running with my progress

chubbyranger
07-10-08, 01:27 PM
just on the curious side .If the dealer has said that they wanna do a reman..do I have major downside to this? and what do they hit you for that bill?
cause I was thinking of that being an option ..but are the remans GM rebuilds ? are they timeserted ? wow Im going to caddy tommorow to get some more info.

GM reman longblock on gmpartsdirect.com was $5800 last I checked so you'd probably be looking at a $7000 bill... :helpless:

Ranger
07-10-08, 04:08 PM
FPR is easy enough to check. Do so just to rule it out. Likewise it can't hurt to pull and clean the EGR pintle, though it should set a DTC if out of range.

neverstuck
07-12-08, 11:04 AM
sorry for the long reply ...fpr is fine also the plugs were clean ..normal wear but no issues...Im just gonna drive and enjoy my car .I have used 0 AF, so Im just gonna relax on this slight idle issue..also checked for an intake leak and nothing either so ..the mystery stays till it or if it if it does get worse... thanks for the help Ill keep up on the replies as things progress or if they dont

neverstuck
07-18-08, 10:59 PM
so far so good ...thank the sweet baby jesus on a lowrider bicycle

neverstuck
07-31-08, 10:43 AM
another 2 weeks have passed and no issues ..retested the hgs no change ..did a leakdown test and all cyls held for 25 minutes ...so Im enjoying my ride and forgetting all this nonsense

neverstuck
08-04-08, 07:28 AM
well heres a funny...I Always use the same gas station and use med grade gas .....well they were busted for selling regular as super and mid grade .....guess what? I Put mid grade from another station in ..my milage went up about 2 mpg, cars running better , performance is up ...so Im thinking that in this hot weather combined with reg tyhe pcm retarded the timing enough to cause some performance issues...I actaully only had this happen with a customer a few years back with a vette and he was using regular...thanks for all the help ..Im still amazed