: Sound dedener,,,,smell?

Twitch
07-07-08, 11:21 AM
Got a bit of whine since I put in the specter bushings. FG2s and GC should go on this week (if GC didn't mess up my order). And I plan on installing my pinion supprt soon.
With all that, I expect the car to get pretty noisy. I love the exhaust and motor, but hate the diff and road noise.
I read the FAQ and checked with Loews. They don't have the "peel n seal" anywhere near me. Also, it's more expensive than what the FAQ said.
I looked into some other products and did a search here. I was looking at "fatmat" on ebay, but it seems to be similar to peel n seal.
If anybody used peel n seal from Lowes, how was the smell. A couple people on ebay said the fatmat smelled bad, but most didn't mention it in the feedback.
Now I'm looking at "dynamat" and "damplifier". How's the smell with those products?
Having a stinky car is NOT an option! I'd rather deal with the noise. But in this case, getting the best of both worlds shouldn't be too much to ask for.....I hope.

Tony

Maximusthefarmer
07-07-08, 12:39 PM
I installed the Fatmat stuff in my car both in the trunk and in the body of the car and while yes it did smell when I left it sitting out and during the install process I have never again noticed an odor post installation. Just my experience, but it was pretty cost effective and it worked well. I got 100 sq ft for like 90 bucks I think i doubled up and tripled up in some places made a huge difference. Whatever that is worth. I think once the adhesive is bonded and under the Fatmat itself and the carpet etc. of the car you can't smell it

Twitch
07-07-08, 01:27 PM
Cool. I may end up using the fatmat in the trunk, and something better under the back seat. Someone has some second skin on ebay pretty cheap. It's the only listing though.
Thanks

Tony

Civardi
07-07-08, 02:34 PM
I used Fatmat and it did have a smell that went away after a week or so. But it did seep into my carpet in the car. I had a light grey int and started getting black spots. Pulled the seat and had to pull the carpet out as the fatmat had stuck to the bottom of the carpet. Eneded up having to replace the carpet and Fatmat with Dynomat. You get what you pay for.

Twitch
07-07-08, 03:27 PM
I used Fatmat and it did have a smell that went away after a week or so. But it did seep into my carpet in the car. I had a light grey int and started getting black spots. Pulled the seat and had to pull the carpet out as the fatmat had stuck to the bottom of the carpet. Eneded up having to replace the carpet and Fatmat with Dynomat. You get what you pay for.

That settles it. I'm going with the good stuff inside the car. I'll see about the trunk after that. Maybe if I can wait till the weather gets cooler, the smell wont be so bad. But the interior needs to get done soon.

Civardi
07-07-08, 03:48 PM
I cant find my pics of the fatmat but imagine stepping on gum on a hot day. Thats how it looked when I took the carpet out.

vegasVowner
07-07-08, 08:24 PM
I used "peelNSeel" from a roofer's supply and it did stink for a day, but it's been gone ever since. Product works fine and is a good cheap alternative IMO.

Black Sunshine
07-07-08, 08:33 PM
"Peel-N-Seal" worked great in my car. Did the rear floor, fenders and the tire "hole". It does not quiet as much as Dynamat but it did make a marked decrease in interior "noise" with the Magnaflow exhaust. But not so much that I lost any feedback. i.e. still get comments from gearheads ridin in the V about the sweet exhaust tone.

Good middle of the road material and I had no odor problems in S. GA heat.

CadzillaTN
07-07-08, 10:15 PM
would you guys say that just doing the trunk with one or more layers of the peel and seal would help with the diff whine, and overall would it help cabin noise?i.e is it worth doing just that if I don't have time to do the interior?
I have stock 04 exhaust so I assume it would muffle a bit too but I guess thats the tradeoff

also has anyone applied any fenderwell coatings, etc?

I know there are posts on this. Ive read most of them..just curious

Twitch
07-08-08, 07:03 AM
would you guys say that just doing the trunk with one or more layers of the peel and seal would help with the diff whine, and overall would it help cabin noise?i.e is it worth doing just that if I don't have time to do the interior?
I have stock 04 exhaust so I assume it would muffle a bit too but I guess thats the tradeoff

also has anyone applied any fenderwell coatings, etc?

I know there are posts on this. Ive read most of them..just curious
I'll be doing the trunk and rear seat. Under the seat will probably get done first. I'll post up my results.

Tony

CadzillaTN
07-20-08, 05:07 PM
any results? I have recently found that a new differential also lends to a quiter ride. This only makes me want to do it more now.
Also has anyone tried cutting a foam piece to fit in the entire spare cavity? I was thinking layer of high end carpet pad (pottery barn, etc) between the stock carpet and either the metal or your deadening material would help (trunk only).

Twitch
07-20-08, 09:29 PM
any results? I have recently found that a new differential also lends to a quiter ride. This only makes me want to do it more now.
Also has anyone tried cutting a foam piece to fit in the entire spare cavity? I was thinking layer of high end carpet pad (pottery barn, etc) between the stock carpet and either the metal or your deadening material would help (trunk only).
I have 50 feet of fatmat. Should be going in this week.
Check this out. I usually drive around with no spare, but I took it for the long trip (Pocno raceway). I placed a towel un der the tire, and the diff was very quiet in the morning I forgot the towel on the way back, n it was whining all the way home. Maybe it was cuz of all the abuse. Maybe not.......

CadzillaTN
07-20-08, 11:38 PM
sounds good.
found this link. some good info
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

CTSV_510
07-21-08, 09:43 AM
sounds good.
found this link. some good info
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

That's actually quite a helpful web site. Way too much to read for me, I just skipped to the end, but a good comparison test.

Twitch
07-21-08, 09:52 AM
That's actually quite a helpful web site. Way too much to read for me, I just skipped to the end, but a good comparison test.
Yup!

CadzillaTN
07-21-08, 11:43 AM
yeah basically it sounds like you can use the asphalt based stuff on your floors for a cheap alternative but under long term heat it can get messy. I used fatmat on my old mustang and I can remember it falling off the door panels inside... not sure if I want that sh*t in my caddy. I would definitely splurge for one of the butyl products for doors and any other vertical or upside down surface like the trunklid...either way its all overpriced. period. its a commoditu rolled into a sheet and marked up 1000%.