: fueling problem

sts50
07-07-08, 10:55 AM
Hello,
I am new to this forum. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar difficulty. Every time I pull up to the pumps for a fill up, my 05 sts grumbles when I try to start it. It cranks and spits and sputters...then finally starts. Embarrassing to say the least. I fill it to the first kick off of the pump and the cap is replaced as per owners manual. I usually fill up at the 1/4 tank mark...so it's not running on fumes when I pull up to the pump. It's almost out of warranty so if it's anything major, I'd like to get it taken care of before warranty expiration.
Any suggestions/info is helpful.
OH! once it starts it's smooth sailing and gets around 23-25 MPG around town.

C&C
07-07-08, 11:09 AM
Even if you don't have a check engine light on, check for codes. Might be a soft code. I just had similar symptoms on an Olds Intrigue (in my case it happened to be a crankshaft position sensor) but I'm also thinking that leaky injectors could also manifest in the symptoms you describe.

dkozloski
07-07-08, 07:55 PM
Somebody reported a problem with the evaporative canister purge system that was flooding the engine with a full gas tank.

Aurora5000
07-08-08, 07:55 AM
If it is under warranty, by all means take it in.
crank sensor
injectors
O2 sensor

sts50
07-14-08, 02:25 PM
Thanks so much....I did purchase extended warranty on it so I'll bring it in.
I don't need any difficulties on the road. Other than this problem and a few others that were covered under warranty, I'm loving the car.