: got broken into

odla
07-07-08, 11:30 AM
im thinking that i should get an aftermarket alarm. my 04 got broken into. and the stock alarm didnt go off. the used a slim jim. to unlock the door went thru the trunk. luckly they took nothing because i leave nothing in the car. has anyone had a aftermarket alarm system installed? can you give me details? brand cost? how reliable? is it remote start? i live in miami so if you could recomend someone in miami? thanks for any help. i feel i got lucky because their is no damage.

Jon
07-07-08, 12:23 PM
Are you sure your factory alarm was activated? I think a lot of them weren't activated from factory or something... That might have been '05 only though.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/alarmtest.html

Twitch
07-07-08, 12:26 PM
Mine is still not activated.

lollygagger8
07-07-08, 12:32 PM
How do I test if my alarm is working or not?
Roll down your driver side window and close the door
Make sure that all other doors are securly closed including the trunk (and the hood for export cars)
Hit the alarm (lock) button on the key fob to lock the car and arm the system
Watch the light on the dash (the lock) and wait for it to shut off -- this indicates that the alarm is active
Reach in through the open window and manually= unlock the door and open it from the inside

And open it from the inside?!? How many thieves are going to open the door from the inside??

Jon
07-07-08, 12:36 PM
How do I test if my alarm is working or not?
Roll down your driver side window and close the door
Make sure that all other doors are securly closed including the trunk (and the hood for export cars)
Hit the alarm (lock) button on the key fob to lock the car and arm the system
Watch the light on the dash (the lock) and wait for it to shut off -- this indicates that the alarm is active
Reach in through the open window and manually= unlock the door and open it from the inside

And open it from the inside?!? How many thieves are going to open the door from the inside??
Break window... Reach inside, unlock.

Slimjim the doorlock.

It's all the same to the security system.

I remember a long long time ago when I was younger... I was sitting inside my mom's minivan at the grocery store. She had locked the car with the remote when she left. It was getting hot so I decided to open the door and the alarm went off. Scared the crap outta me.

When the car's been locked and the alarm is armed, it should go off if the door opens, unless it's been unlocked by the remote again. I think.

odla
07-07-08, 12:37 PM
i did make sure a long time ago that it was working. also i did it a few min ago just for peace of mind and it still went off. it still goes off if you open from the outside. i just realized to that they removed the door lock in the door. they probably pushd it into the door.

Twitch
07-07-08, 02:44 PM
i did make sure a long time ago that it was working. also i did it a few min ago just for peace of mind and it still went off. it still goes off if you open from the outside. i just realized to that they removed the door lock in the door. they probably pushd it into the door.
You'll probably need body work for that.
Are you sure the alarm didn't go off? Maybe it did and they waited till it stopped. When nobody showed up, they went back in. :mad2:

NIK
07-07-08, 03:42 PM

I was broken into in broad daylight in front of my place of employment at 11:20 AM about 6 months after I bought my car (new.) Same thing - they pushed the lock into the door - alarm did not go off. I brought it to my dealer's attention just to forewarn others, but nothing came of it. Cost my insurance company about $1,600.00 to replace the lock and repair the door.
The only thing they took was (of all things) my owner's manual.

JonCR96Z
07-07-08, 04:57 PM
I was broken into in broad daylight in front of my place of employment at 11:20 AM about 6 months after I bought my car (new.) Same thing - they pushed the lock into the door - alarm did not go off. I brought it to my dealer's attention just to forewarn others, but nothing came of it. Cost my insurance company about $1,600.00 to replace the lock and repair the door.
The only thing they took was (of all things) my owner's manual.

They may have bought a CTSV without a manual and couldn't figure out how to activate their alarm, so they took your manual.

pveomett
07-07-08, 05:28 PM
Uggghhh I hate scumbags! My dads car was broken into in our driveway a couple years ago and they stole his Navi... The shitty part was we think someone we know set it up. We live in the middle of no where and the chances are slim that someone would drive down our LONG driveway just to see if we had anything worth stealing, without atleast checking out other cars...

Anyways... If you get a remote start also you might have a hard time getting someone to install it. I knew a local install shop owner and he hooked one up on my old 03 Evo 8. In NY it's illegal to install a remote start on a manual transmision vehicle. But I would recomend a 2-way viper alarm system. The keychain arming unit has a let light that will blink/beep to let you know if the alarm is active, and it will start beeping in your pocket if the alarm goes off...
It's been a few years since I've looked into these units, but thats what my old one was like.

odla
07-07-08, 07:52 PM
thanks for all the info guys. Im not sure if ill need any body work. it looks like the whole lock cylinder was pushed into the door. you really cant even tell unless you look for it.

Ray06CTS
07-08-08, 12:23 AM
my lock cylinder was pushed in as well but that i know of no one was inside of my car :hmm: ... btw i stay in miami, i have since installed a Clifford intelliguard 750 which ran me $600 at senor stereo , comes complete with blackjax which was the main reason i bought it.
Because if someone happens to get a hold of your keys they can put the car in valet mode through the Clifford remote and be able to start the car and not have to enter the blackjax keypad code.
Otherwise what i had them do was program and disable valet mode entirely so you are forced to enter the key pad code as soon as the car is started and the brake pedal is pressed. And also when the door is opened while driving just as if it would be a car jacking. If the code is not entered again within a programmable time frame between 6-10-15seconds the alarm goes off and shuts the car off leaving the thief stranded with a dead car.

odla
07-08-08, 11:39 AM
they installed for $600?

Ray06CTS
07-09-08, 12:42 AM
they installed for $600?

yes that was everything installed including the price of the alarm itself.

MikeNice
07-09-08, 01:24 AM
the only true protection is full theft coverage. speaking from experience if "they" want ur car it will be gone no matter what u try to do to prevent it, all ur doing is slowing the prossess, but the demand and lure of easy money will overide ur preventive maintenance. this is the world we live in. enjoy ur night & try and sleep tight. =]