: My front passenger floor mat is soaking wet, whats going on?

mnext02
07-06-08, 10:50 PM
Ive been trying to figure out the smell in my 02 ext for a while now. I just noticed that the passenger floor mat is soaking wet. Something must be leaking from under the dash. I have been running the AC alot lately, maybe its related? Anyone have any idea?

dmarlow
07-07-08, 12:19 AM
1.If it smells like engine coolant you have a bad/leaking heater core.
2.If it is a musty smell it is probably condensation from the A/C exchanger due to a plugged drain line.

Do you see water/condensation dripping from under the passenger side of the vehicle with the A/C running after a few minutes?
If not locate the drain line and blow some compressed air in it to hopefully clear the blockage.

Crown Vic Owner
07-07-08, 02:50 AM
Um, what color is your coolant. Is it staining the carpet?

Paper towel it up and drip it into a cup. IF it matches coolant color its the heatercore.

hcvone
07-07-08, 07:20 AM
It's probably the condensate drain, it was either knocked off or is clogged

mnext02
07-07-08, 04:18 PM
1.If it smells like engine coolant you have a bad/leaking heater core.
2.If it is a musty smell it is probably condensation from the A/C exchanger due to a plugged drain line.

Do you see water/condensation dripping from under the passenger side of the vehicle with the A/C running after a few minutes?
If not locate the drain line and blow some compressed air in it to hopefully clear the blockage.

It is a musty smell.

How do I locate the drain line?

mnext02
07-07-08, 04:18 PM
It's probably the condensate drain, it was either knocked off or is clogged

how do I find it to see?

producerman
07-07-08, 08:48 PM
Mine as well....just started but on the drivers side! Wife went to wash vehicle and steady drip coming from above the emergency brake pedal.

Very interested in watching this post to see what kindof drain you are talking about and where it is located.

Thanks for all replies!

producerman
07-07-08, 08:52 PM
To follow up on my leak...was not there 2 months ago and now just when washing or when it rains.

Any thoughts would be helpful of where to start.

Thanks again!

mnext02
07-07-08, 11:08 PM
I dont want to go to the dealer and pay $500!

hcvone
07-08-08, 07:23 AM
I need to look at an 02-06, my neighbor is away with his, start by looking under the dash on the passenger side for the drain, or up on a lift will help too

TAWoody
07-09-08, 02:06 PM
I had the same problem but was a windshield leak just below my visor. I would recommend you sit in the car while someone sprays some water on the outside (like rain) to help determine where it's coming in at. Mine was dripping through the weatherstripping, onto my steering column, then onto the floor mat. It took some 3 weeks before the carpet and padding underneath the carpet became dry. Try using a blow dryer to get that padding dry because it holds a LOT of water if you don't. You'll most likely get the musty smell and rust under there if you don't dry it quick enough.