: Headlight Lense Condition

Mike S
07-06-08, 10:40 PM
Hey all headlight changers! Has anyone ever had the coating on the outside of the STS headlight's start peeling off due to getting peppered by sand or small rocks from the road. I've noticed this more on the drivers side. Underneath is a much duller plastic and it makes the shiny headlight look bad!
Is this covered by warranty for a Certified car?

Mike S
Sixth Caddy

MARKVIII
07-07-08, 08:00 AM
it is happening to me and i am going to try to get it replaced before my warranty runs out...hope they don't give me any crap when i bring it in.

ruf455
07-10-08, 04:55 PM
My dealer replaced mine, no questions.

Benjamin Simon
07-11-08, 09:13 PM
My dealer replaced mine, no questions.

How the hell did you get yours replaced!!!!!!!! Mine said it was not covered and Cadillac customer concurred and told me to go to hell. Where is your dealer? How can I get this covered?

MARKVIII
07-12-08, 12:23 PM
yeah i was thinking i would have trouble getting it replaced also. i have not gone to my dealer yet but i do not think they will replace it either...

Mike S
07-12-08, 08:54 PM
Thank you Fourm!:

I took mt 2005 STS (V8) ( Certified ) to Crest Cadillac in Plano TX with the following complaints, many I had heard about here.

1. Headlight Lense - Clear Coat peeling- flaking. They replaced the drivers side that was bad, and also replaced the passenger side that was just starting to peel. What a gift!

2. A/C foul air deodorize- I was running on fresh air setting only because of the nasty smell on recirc setting.

3. Engine vibration on start-up, shut down, and in Park.- They looked at all the motor mounts and all were ok. They suggested not using Regular gas. I was checking the gas mileage with Midgrage and Regular.

4. Grinding Noise in Steering at rest with A/C on and off- They said it was normal. LOL I can distinctly hear it, and when the A/C is off, it stops.

Benjamin Simon
07-12-08, 09:12 PM
Damn it this pisses me off. What I am suppose to do? Should I call back to Cadillac Customer Service?

Lifer
07-13-08, 09:56 AM
Damn it this pisses me off. What I am suppose to do? Should I call back to Cadillac Customer Service?

Not only is your Avatar ugly, but you whine a lot. Be constructive, or let it be. :thehand:

Benjamin Simon
07-14-08, 11:57 PM
Not only is your Avatar ugly, but you whine a lot. Be constructive, or let it be. :thehand:

I am not even going to acknowledge your insult with a response.
However, I wholeheartedly agree with your second sentence. Please take your own advice before wasting my bandwidth.:dflip:

Benjamin Simon
07-15-08, 12:04 AM
Forum members, please do not take this as a "whine". Although I am very happy with my STS, my current situation with headlight replacement is frustrating. The service manager and Cadillac customer service say the flaking of my clearcoat is not covered. The drive side light is near perfect, where as the other side has noticeable flaking. Can someone please given me some guide on how best to approach the situation. Perhaps someone can mention an unrelated time when they were told no, no, no and they were able to talk to someone that could help. Thank You.

BirdJC
07-15-08, 10:05 AM
I'd like to see a pic of this if at all possible, not sure what you guys are referring too. Also, I'm sure you've all see those clear coatings that are precut to fit over headlights and actually the nose of certain vehicles.. I'm wondering if they are out there for our headlights which may help this situation??

MARKVIII
07-15-08, 11:44 AM
thats interesting i have the same problem as Ben. my drivers side lens is almost perfect. my passengers side is flaking and pitted.

skippydts
07-15-08, 06:23 PM
I know there are kits available for cleaning headlight lenses that work well. Will that work for these vehicles?

justgreat
07-15-08, 09:35 PM
well, the peeling of the lenses cover is not to be expected, of course.....but: what has caused the coating to deteriorate? if it's due to lots of high speed touring while tailgating a semi or a dump truck hauling gravel.....you see my point? if you were to go in and complain about brake pads needing replacement in 8k miles and wanted the dealer to pick up the tab, you would have some reservations about the likelyhood of that happening, the pads are a wear item, not covered under the caddy warranty.

there's no way for you or the dealer to confirm whether the coating deteriorated due to misuse or if it's a defective part...it's a judement call by the service manager. you are talking to the service manager, correct? don't stop with the service writer, call the cc number and contact the service manager...there's no guarantee that you will prevail, but you have nothing to lose.

jackg
06 sts6

MARKVIII
07-16-08, 08:35 AM
just the fact that three people on this website are complaining about it should be some sort of red flag that maybe its a defective part.

justgreat
07-16-08, 09:12 PM
it might be, it might not...it sounds like some dealerships have seen the problem and others haven't....but...if the front of your car looks like it's been sandblasted....it may not be the lenses cover that's defective.

jackg
06 sts6

Benjamin Simon
07-17-08, 11:08 PM
it might be, it might not...it sounds like some dealerships have seen the problem and others haven't....but...if the front of your car looks like it's been sandblasted....it may not be the lenses cover that's defective.

jackg
06 sts6

I my case, the other lamp looks new and the bumper is smooth.

The service manager said I might have put something on my lamp to clean to that destroyed the top layer allowing for the clearcoat to peel?? WTF ever. :alchi:

1MadMan
07-18-08, 12:13 PM
Ben, maybe its your approach?

They replaced mine, no questions asked...

justgreat
07-18-08, 03:31 PM
I my case, the other lamp looks new and the bumper is smooth.

The service manager said I might have put something on my lamp to clean to that destroyed the top layer allowing for the clearcoat to peel?? WTF ever. :alchi:

that's interesting that the sm would say that...i was thinking about this problem yesterday and considered that maybe it was the headlamp washers and the w/w washer fluid used, possibly...but the sm's observation makes more sense..something might have been applied to the lense cover that destroyed the coating.

jackg
06 sts6

MARKVIII
07-18-08, 03:58 PM
u people are approaching this problem like its the manahttan project. for christ sake its a hunk of defective plastic, just replace it and lets move on with our lives.

Benjamin Simon
11-18-08, 12:45 AM
u people are approaching this problem like its the manahttan project. for christ sake its a hunk of defective plastic, just replace it and lets move on with our lives.

LOL

Well, I have been able to made some head way with my headlight.
The cause of the problem is evidently UV rays from the sun. The top layer of plastic, when exposed to sufficient amounts of UV rays, starts to oxidize.

Meguiar's PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner for $7. I buffed it 5 or 6 times with the wax and then used traditionla wax to protect it. It looks very nice. Perhaps if I would have used this was every 6 months, I would have not had this problem.

I still have a little flaking. I was reading about restore kits and a few use sand paper starting will 800 grit, then 1500, then 2000, then 2500 to smooth down the lens down and removed the damaged layer. Then apply something like Meguiar's PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner and you have a new light.

Angus Young
11-18-08, 02:12 AM
I purchased 2 replacement headlamp assy's due to both of my headlights have condensation in them and the plastic is foggy & pitted, does anyone know if the front bumper needs to be removed in order to remove and replace the headlamp assy's? I figure that the fuse box will have to be moved and the air box will have to be removed for starters...