: Is ther any Hack into the Mag Ride software?

Hortaja
07-06-08, 07:23 PM
I was wondering becuase I fel my car is just too stiff. Read below the post I made in another thread.. by the way I have brand new Bridgestone serinities all set to 29psi, New front shocks, new Steering, and set in touring. I still hate the ride. Now this is comapared to my Lexus LS400 that was smooth as silk..but All I want is for it to ride like a reg suspension v8 STS, Not firmer.:banghead:

I test drove many STS but never one with Mag ride. I ordered my car from out of state and new the Mag Ride was the top of the line but I had no clue that the Mag ride option make the car ride harder/firmer. I thought it would ride as smooth as th reg suspension but then make it firmer for the days you want to be sporty. Nope it makes it firmer all the time and then rediculous/sports car firm the one day a year I may want that. If I could I would swap out the mag ride or change cars with someone....

I wonder if there is a way to hack the mag ride software and make the car even softer than stock?:hmm:

BaTu
07-07-08, 11:44 AM
If you actually wanted that "Floating Mattress" ride, what made you choose a car with a performance suspension like the STS?

Did you mean to buy an SLS??? ;)

dkozloski
07-07-08, 06:28 PM
Trade your STS for a DTS.

sapien
07-07-08, 07:18 PM
might feel a little better after your brand-new tires and shocks have a couple thousand miles on them?

I think the mag ride is merely on or off, but maybe even in the off setting the shocks are firmer than the standard suspension... I recently drove a Buick Lucerne rental car and it felt much more cushier. But, IMO the STS's ride isn't harsh at all, and it corners almost as well as my Acura RSX

Hortaja
07-08-08, 12:23 AM
What really bother me is that the regual suspension ride nice and smooth, yet the topof the line is too firm.... They should have advertized it a a sport package or somthing. At least old people that this is a sportier suspension. I would have totaly stayed away. I have no desire for a sports car. I want a Luxery car. The DTS is a huge peice of junk. I have had brand new ones as loaner cars and i would not take my friends out in it because its an embarrasment to say this is The TOP of the line Caddy.

So I want all the bells n whistles the STS has but with a luxery ride. I'm not asking for much....

So is there a hack, tht was the reason for my post.

Thank in advance
Jerry

dkozloski
07-08-08, 12:59 AM
What really bother me is that the regual suspension ride nice and smooth, yet the topof the line is too firm.... They should have advertized it a a sport package or somthing. At least old people that this is a sportier suspension. I would have totaly stayed away. I have no desire for a sports car. I want a Luxery car. The DTS is a huge peice of junk. I have had brand new ones as loaner cars and i would not take my friends out in it because its an embarrasment to say this is The TOP of the line Caddy.

So I want all the bells n whistles the STS has but with a luxery ride. I'm not asking for much....

Thank in advance
Jerry
There have been no reports on this forum of such a hack.

Aurora5000
07-08-08, 07:50 AM
You will have to get softer tires to improve to a softer ride. My salesman told me when we were looking at STS that the mag ride was not perfected and it rode like you were riding on bricks and encouraged us not to get mag ride. Also put your tire pressure at 30psi.

jkviper
07-08-08, 10:19 AM

Thank in advance
Jerry

Hey Jerry,

I guess my suprise at how firm the mag-ride was svs. the standard STS is leading to some interesting comments. I'm not a mechanic, but I guess there are a couple variables that you could look into.

1)Smaller wheels - If you have 18" rims you could go to 17" rims. That would definitely help soften the ride. I'm sure you could pay for labor at a caddy dealer and swap 17"s that are on another ride and get to feel the difference for a nominal cost. I have an Lexus GS 400 and they offered it with both the 16 and 17" rims. The smaller rims made the car drive smoother, less jiggly.

2)The magnetic ride is a combo of automatic adjusting shocks and fixed rate springs. I guess the firm ride is a combination of the two. I don't know if you could replace the springs with slightly softer ones if they are available and leave the magnetic shocks alone. That may soften the ride.

3) Replace the springs and shocks with those from the standard suspension, but you would have to find a way to tell the car the shocks are not connected to the car since there may be some type of monitoring system. Once again, I am just guessing that this may be an alternative.

pjbizjak
07-08-08, 11:46 AM
You won't get a softer ride just changing from a 18" wheel to a 17" wheel. Where the difference in the ride would be if you went to the 17" wheels and went with a taller aspect ratio tire, ie: 55 or 65, that would match the overall height of the origional 18" wheels and 45 aspect ratio tire.

jkviper
07-08-08, 04:51 PM
You won't get a softer ride just changing from a 18" wheel to a 17" wheel. Where the difference in the ride would be if you went to the 17" wheels and went with a taller aspect ratio tire, ie: 55 or 65, that would match the overall height of the origional 18" wheels and 45 aspect ratio tire.

I agree, I think that is the case with the caddy 17" rims. That is the tire is a taller aspect than the 18" tires otherwise they would have to re-calibrate the speedometer.

Hortaja
07-08-08, 11:22 PM
Hey all I have the stock 17 rims and i keep the PSI at 29. So I'm doing all I can....

ascariSTS
07-09-08, 02:25 AM
how about changing your suspension system from magne to air ? will that be a tough job ?

Lifer
07-09-08, 12:38 PM
Trade your STS for a DTS.

AGREED. More Cush For Your Tush. :yup: