: Test Drove V8 AWD with 1SG Today

jkviper
07-06-08, 05:05 PM
I've been very interested in buying an STS and taking advantage of the year end $3500 factory savings. I've test drove the following STSs before today's test drive.

2008 STS V6 with 1SB and AWD with 17" wheels - This car drove nice and smooth, you really could not tell the car was an AWD. The suspension was a tad too soft for my liking but a very nice riding car.

2008 STS V6 RWD Performance Luxury with 18" wheels - This car drove nice and smooth as well. You could tell the suspension was a little firmer than the V6 with the AWD. Car had good pickup and felt well balanced.

New 2007 STS V8 rear wheel drive with the base suspension - Felt very similar to the V6 RWD but had a little more pickup with the V8.

So today I found an 08 in the color I was looking for a V8 STS with the 1SG package with AWD and thought I would purchase the car. The car was brand new in the wrapper and I took it out on the highway.

The stretch of highway was not really smooth but the steering wheel really vibrated alot and the magnetic suspension did not seem to absorb the choppy feeling that was being transmitted through the steering. It almost felt like a front tire was out of balance, but the car improved a bit when the asphault smoothed out down the road. But all in all the suspension felt too firm and the vibrations comming through the steering wheel was annoying.

Just to make sure, there was another car in wrapper on the lot with the same level trim and it felt the same way. I really was dissapointed in the ride/handling of the 1SG with AWD.

Can anyone comment on if you think what I experienced is just do to the AWD with the v8 or just the firmness of the performance suspension. If it is the AWD/V8, then I will look at a RWD wit the 1SG package, if it is the performance suspension then I'll buy a V6 with an AWD.

Hortaja
07-06-08, 07:17 PM
Persoanally I am very dissapointed with the ride of my 05 V8 1SG Car. I test drove many STS but never one with Mag ride. I order my car from out of state and ne the Mag Ride was the top of the line but I had no clue that the Mag ride option make the car ride harder/firmer. I thought it would ride as smooth as th reg suspension but then make it firmer for the days you want to be sporty. Nope it make it firmer all the time and then rediculous/sports car firm the one day a year I may want that. If I could I would swap out the mag ride or change cars with someone....

I wonder if there is a way to hack the mag ride software and make the car even softer than stock?

jkviper
07-06-08, 11:27 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

I was actually ready to negotiate and buy the car today before I drove it and have it dealer preped during the week. Considering I test drove so many over the past couple weeks. But I decided to test drive it, just to make sure. So I'm glad I caught the difference in setup before I purchased. I really was shocked at how bad the stearing vibrated and how firm the ride was.

I've had my share of corvettes with the adjustable suspension on a 96 and 99 and was never really impressed with the system. It always seemed that the middle setting worked well, the soft setting was too soft and the perf setting was just a hard ride. Maybe on the track it would help, but on the street it seemed like a solution looking for a problem.

Since I really wanted the adaptive cruise control, I guess the 1SG is out for me. I'll have to go with the 1SC and PDQ package on a V6 and pass on the adaptive cruise. It's a mistery to me, why the adaptive cruise cannot be ordered with the V6. I just don't get it.

dkozloski
07-07-08, 12:14 AM
I've got a V8 AWD 1SF with Mag ride and it rides and handles like a dream over the roughest roads and believe me we've got some rough roads. Over the same stretch of road that had me against the ceiling in my Lux Sport CTS you won't even spill your coffee.

pjbizjak
07-07-08, 10:53 AM
Maybe they changed someting in the 08's but my 07 rwd 1sg v8 sts is pretty smooth and you have the option of two ride settings, touring and sport! It's possible that the 08's you test drove were not prepped yet, ie; tire air pressure etc. When I first drove my 07 I noticed droaning & lopeing in the front, the sales person said the car has been setting for several days and the tires probably had a slight 'flat spot' and the sensation would go away after a couple of miles and it did. To this day every now and then I'll get that same feeling if the car has set for a couple days, the tires are Michelin MX4's.

jkviper
07-07-08, 12:53 PM
Maybe they changed someting in the 08's but my 07 rwd 1sg v8 sts is pretty smooth and you have the option of two ride settings, touring and sport! It's possible that the 08's you test drove were not prepped yet, ie; tire air pressure etc. When I first drove my 07 I noticed droaning & lopeing in the front, the sales person said the car has been setting for several days and the tires probably had a slight 'flat spot' and the sensation would go away after a couple of miles and it did. To this day every now and then I'll get that same feeling if the car has set for a couple days, the tires are Michelin MX4's.

Well both cars I test drove were definitely not prepped. They still had the stickers/wrappers on them. My impression was the ride is very hard and the steering wheel was picking up some body flex.

What would they do to make the cars ride any better?

The way the steering wheel vibrated when you were on choppy pavement was the biggest concern. I am not too concerned if the ride is a bit firmer like a BMW 7 series, but the whole experience left me wondering how could a car with such good reviews drive like it did.

rb92gt
07-07-08, 04:49 PM
One simple thing to consider is that brand new cars sit in the same place for extended periods of time, and the tires may have flat spots, making the car ride rough. I bet this is the case.

shudog
07-08-08, 12:00 PM
Flat spots are common to new cars with performance tires that sit for an extended amount of time, like several days. The problem stems from the nylon spiral overwrap which performace tires get wrapped over the steel belts to add high speed stability and keep the tire in shape and not unravel at high speeds. It usually goes away after a few mile drive or the tires warm up after a breif highway cruise.

mike sts
07-19-08, 05:09 PM
did you try chnaging from performance to touring suspension, there is that choice.

jkviper
07-19-08, 05:59 PM
did you try chnaging from performance to touring suspension, there is that choice.

When I test drove those cars I was not sure. However it comes from the factory was what the setting was since these cars were still in the wrapper.

I also test drove another 1SG AWD this week at another dealer. The car drove much better. I thought the suspension was pretty stiff, but all in all a good balance between ride and handling. I thought it was stiffer than the V6 with the 1SC package for sure. So with regard to the first 1SG cars I test drove, I beleive that the tires were flat spotted because the cars had been sitting for a while.

After this test drive, I've decided to get an STS V8. Just not sure if I want to pay the AWD mileage penalty. My current 2000 Lexus GS 400 gets 24 Highway and that is the estimated RWD mileage figures.

rb92gt
07-20-08, 02:55 PM
Congrats, you will enjoy it!!!