: Coolant Temperature Help

Mr.Shamrock
07-06-08, 09:59 AM
I had a weird thing happen the other day on my 04 ESV...I had just driven about an hour to our marina and left the truck idling for about 15 minutes in the asphalt parking lot (got to talking to a friend). Anyway when I got to the truck the temp guage was pegged in the red. I immediately shut it off and let it sit for about 10 minutes then started it back up. It had cooled down a little but was still way higher than normal. I drove it down the street and the temperature went down to normal. I also noticed that my rear view temp guage said it was 128 degrees outside. I am in South Carolina and it doesn't get that hot here. It was a very warm day, but maybe 95 degree's tops, of course on the asphalt I am sure it seemed alot hotter. I drove it all the way home and it was fine. I let the truck get completely cooled down and went out to see if my fan clutch was bad. It didn't free wheel at all when I tried to spin it and it felt exactly like my fathers 05. I drove it yesterday a good distance and it was fine. Has anybody had this happen to them? Any ideas? What temperature does your truck run at? Mine seems to always be around 200 degrees.

urbanski
07-06-08, 10:11 AM
why was this in 07+ 'lade?
moved

hcvone
07-07-08, 08:28 AM
That is strange, I let my truck idle for an hour in 100 degree heat and my temp gauge barly moves. I trust your coolant level is ok? Keep your eye on it, you may have a fan issue.

Mr.Shamrock
07-07-08, 12:00 PM
Yes my coolant level is right where it is supposed to be. I wonder if the billet grill that the previous owner installed would have anything to do with it not getting enough cold air at idle? I am not real crazy about it anyway so I may take it off. It does seem to have alot less of an opening than the factory grill. It has been fine since though...who knows!?!?!?!!

Mr.Shamrock
07-07-08, 12:01 PM
Hey hcvone what temp does yours normally run at?

hcvone
07-07-08, 01:31 PM
My 03' and 07's ran/run about 205, but even towing 7k lb trailer it never moves from there. I know with my hundreds of dyno runs with my vettes the LS engines make the most power and run the best at 195-210

g9s8r
07-07-08, 03:55 PM
could it perhaps be a thermostat going bad??

hcvone
07-07-08, 05:06 PM
could it perhaps be a thermostat going bad??

Always possible