: 2005 STS Navigation System Install

themightymezzo
07-06-08, 12:34 AM
Hey guys. I'll apologize if I post this in the wrong section or if this has been a repetative subject.

I have a 2005 STS that just came with the regular 6 Disc CD player w/ Bose speakers and XM radio. I spoke to the Cadillac dealer I got it from and they quoted me $3500 to have one of the navigation systems installed. I found a good deal online for the navigation system in working condition. It looks like it comes with most of the wires but some are cut. It looks like on the back of the unit though there are factory brackets that plug directly in.

My main question is even though my STS didnt' come with the navigation system do I have all the necessary wiring already installed in my car to install one? Will I need to splice and cut stuff inline or like I said will the brackets just be in there and I can plug it in with minimal work?

Thanks for your help.

MARKVIII
07-06-08, 07:53 AM
the nav unit for the sts sucks...save yourself $3300 and get a $200 nav system and hook it to your window.
you will be better off.

STScaddyman65
07-06-08, 10:05 AM
My main question is even though my STS didnt' come with the navigation system do I have all the necessary wiring already installed in my car to install one? Will I need to splice and cut stuff inline or like I said will the brackets just be in there and I can plug it in with minimal work?

Thanks for your help.[/QUOTE]

Off the top of my head I want to say that the wires will not be there but I am not completely sure of that. Today, the specific parts for your car were delivered the very day that they were needed in general assembly and all of the options for your car were known while the body was still being welded in the body shop. With that in mind and the added cost for wiring not being used, I doubt that what you need is there. I will ask some specific questions tomorrow at work and I will let you know.
I think it would be quite an undertaking at this point.:helpless:

themightymezzo
07-06-08, 12:31 PM
the nav unit for the sts sucks...save yourself $3300 and get a $200 nav system and hook it to your window.
you will be better off.

I figure if I can get it cheaper, with the DVD and overall cleaner looking apearance it'd be worth it. If it comes down to all the wiring not being there then you're definitely right and this is the route I would go.

themightymezzo
07-06-08, 12:33 PM
Off the top of my head I want to say that the wires will not be there but I am not completely sure of that. Today, the specific parts for your car were delivered the very day that they were needed in general assembly and all of the options for your car were known while the body was still being welded in the body shop. With that in mind and the added cost for wiring not being used, I doubt that what you need is there. I will ask some specific questions tomorrow at work and I will let you know.
I think it would be quite an undertaking at this point.:helpless:

Thanks for the info and yeah if you get a chance to find out at work that would be awesome. From the $3500 price quote I can't see it basically being a "plug & play" type deal...I can't see the GM Navigation System w/ DVD costing more than $2000 but ya never know I guess.

themightymezzo
07-08-08, 08:49 PM
Anybody else have any info on this?

Thanks.

STScaddyman65
07-09-08, 02:50 AM
Yes, I do now...took me a couple of days...
If your STS is not equipped with the Navigation system, the wiring will not be there. It is alot of extra copper and added expence so it not "standard" on all body wiring harness. There is also the issue of weather your STS has the GPS in it as well and the Nav system is also programmed into the ECM so you would have that hurdle to go through too.
Some smaller wiring options like the roof liner wiring for the XM radio are on all harness but larger and more complicated items like the Nav are not.
Hope this helps you guys.
Jeff

themightymezzo
07-09-08, 10:21 PM
Thanks Jeff. That helps a ton and I can see why they're quoting me around 3500 for the install. Well I guess best bet is to do some kind of Alpine/Kenwood Nav DVD install then instead if I decide to go that route...or maybe just a TomTom or something of the like.

Thanks for your research, I appreciate it.

STScaddyman65
07-10-08, 02:22 AM
:thumbsup:
No problem mightymezzo!!
Even though I work for GM and paint these babies and own a STS myself, my number 1 goal is to help keep OUR customer enthusiasm HIGH, "THAT'S MY JOB!!!
THANKS FOR BUYING A CADILLAC STS!!!
Jeff

aikenroy@Bellsouth.n
07-20-08, 08:47 PM
Jeff,

Your response regarding swapping a standard radio out for a NAV system referenced that the XM radio wiring is in place. I too have a 2005 STS V8 with the standard setup including BOSE system. I was looking on ebay and there was a XM radio module for sale. Can I buy this and all wiring is in place? How would I find out how to complete the installation? Thanks for any help or advice.