: 2004 AWD Front End Groaning Noise

TobyJohnson11
07-04-08, 01:07 PM
Hey Guys.

I have a 2004 AWD with 60k miles. It's starting to make a grinding/groaning noise from the front end. I can hear it at low speeds 30-50 MPH. The noise increases and decreases when I accelerate and decelerate. Took it to the dealer and they said that they can not tell me what is wrong until they totally disassemble the front end. They think it might be the bearings or a ring and pinion gear. Either way they say that itís going to be really expensive. Best case $1300. Worst Case $2700.

Anyone have any ideas if this if for real of what? Any yea I am not in the factory warranty anymore. They recommended going to trying to get an extended warranty, but that seems a little scandalous to me. Iím just not really happy about dropping a few grand on a car I have had for less than a year.

Any Thoughts Will Help.

Thanks

g9s8r
07-05-08, 01:13 PM
Depending on the aftermarket warranty company (some are very shady), they are well worth the money. I believe the place that sold me my vehicle asked if I wanted an aftermarket warranty. I believe he quoted me around his cost of 800 for a drivetrain/powertrain warranty. So retail would have been like 1200-1500. But, as you already know, depending on deductible, it may pay off the very first time used. Some may never use it. It is a good peace of mind when you expect trouble. I know that doesn't help with your noise problem but relative to your post.

Rolex
07-05-08, 07:36 PM
Buying a warranty and then filing a $2500 repair a week later is just BEGGING to get denied IMO.

Typically you get a whining noise before you move onto a grinding noise as the front end wears out. Did you ever notice a whining noise? Replacing the bearings and greasing things up is just a piss poor patch that won't add longevity to the front end. You'll drive off the lot and still hear the noise. Prepare yourself for replacing the front end of that Lade.

ctsvesq
07-05-08, 10:44 PM
Agreed - I have a 2005 Escalade Platinum with same problems. Gm waranty covered complete front end diff replacement. I spoke to the tech and he said bearings are a very common problem witht these trucks. Since replacement no problems.

Patrick7997
07-06-08, 10:20 AM
Just had my front diff rebuilt, under warranty, thank god.

Was making kind of a whining / quiet howling sort of noise at times...

Found a load of metal shavings on my magentic drain plug of the front diff....

Changing the fluid didn't really help much, but I think frequent fluid changes BEFORE a failure would be a good idea....

The dealer included the warranty.... generally, I'm not a super big fan of warranties. But if you could get a powertrain warranty from a decent provider, or from GM....

Mr.Shamrock
07-06-08, 11:47 AM
I just had the same thing fixed on my 04 ESV. It was the bearings in the transfer case. The dealer charged me $900 to fix it. It is now very quiet. My dealer said they have had 1/2 a dozen or so AWD's come in for the same problem.

TobyJohnson11
07-06-08, 01:09 PM
Thanks to everyone for the posts. I appreciate the input. This was my 1st AWD vehicle and I can actually remember hearing small noises before now, but I guess I just figured that some noise was to be expected form an AWD vehicle. I wish I had known about all these problems with the front end before now, and I would have got the GM extended warranty. Its parked now until I can figure out what to do with it. The dealer said not to drive it unless I have to because it could get worse fast.

Thanks Again,

Mr.Shamrock
07-06-08, 01:46 PM
I thought the same thing and drove the truck for nearly a year before finding a competent dealer who wouldn't tell me "thats normal". It will get a little louder, but it never got obnoxiously loud. Just enough to aggravate me. Good luck!

hcvone
07-07-08, 07:24 AM
Hey Guys.

I have a 2004 AWD with 60k miles. It's starting to make a grinding/groaning noise from the front end. I can hear it at low speeds 30-50 MPH. The noise increases and decreases when I accelerate and decelerate. Took it to the dealer and they said that they can not tell me what is wrong until they totally disassemble the front end. They think it might be the bearings or a ring and pinion gear. Either way they say that itís going to be really expensive. Best case $1300. Worst Case $2700.

Anyone have any ideas if this if for real of what? Any yea I am not in the factory warranty anymore. They recommended going to trying to get an extended warranty, but that seems a little scandalous to me. Iím just not really happy about dropping a few grand on a car I have had for less than a year.

Any Thoughts Will Help.

Thanks

You have to change the gear oil every 25k or so if you want your diffs to last, most owners do not. :(

Guyz1996deville
07-07-08, 04:24 PM
Just changed my fluids all of the way around. It really was too easy to not do it...

hcvone
07-07-08, 06:57 PM
Just changed my fluids all of the way around. It really was too easy to not do it...

It always is. ;)