: Difference with FG2

Junior1
07-03-08, 04:38 PM
guys whats the difference with the FG2 package as opposed to the stock FE4 setup, is it more desirable and will it show up in the VIN check at the top of the forum ?

Netsloth
07-03-08, 04:42 PM
guys whats the difference with the FG2 package as opposed to the stock FE4 setup, is it more desirable and will it show up in the VIN check at the top of the forum ?

The FG2 shocks are what they ran on The 'Ring when they were testing, it was an optional upgrade. They have a different rebound rate and sportier feel, I believe. They won't show on the Service History Report, but you can ask for a listing of options, they would be on there. You can also tell by looking on the car, the FG2 shocks have a black dotted line around the border.

Junior1
07-03-08, 04:59 PM
Are they still readily available if they are not installed?
Any noticable driving difference anyone can tell?

Netsloth
07-03-08, 05:09 PM

I've seen them for sale on the classifieds a few times. Someone else would have to speak to the driveability.

CTSV_510
07-03-08, 05:24 PM

Call Luke at Lindsay Cadillac ---------------------->>>

I never had FE4's so I couldn't give you good info on the comparison.

qqik4u
07-03-08, 05:48 PM
Yeah That: Call Luke - The right way to go. I am planning to get the FG2 soon and will not get it from anywhere but Luke at lindsay cadillac:).

On the track is where you can really feel the difference (heard that from veteran V drivers - You know who you are)

Mick

nikon
07-03-08, 05:48 PM
I rode in a car with fg2's...didn't drive it...but I didn't notice any loss of comfort as compared to my fe4's...we never really got into the corners so I couldn't speak from that aspect

Twitch
07-03-08, 07:18 PM
Putting mine on next week. I'll let you know.
But then again, I'm installing a ground control kit at the same time.
Can't wait.

CTSV_Rob
07-03-08, 07:23 PM
Never rode on the FE4's so I'm not a good gauge either. I can tell you that I felt a difference with the Hotchkis sways even with the FG2's. Car handles sweet.

I may be getting the KW coilover kit but still checking it out at this point.

rand49er
07-03-08, 07:40 PM
Had 'em both. Put on my GC kit, then a year or more later installed the FG2s.

This may be handling heresy in the highest, but I didn't notice a darn thing. :hide:

Twitch
07-03-08, 08:19 PM

This may be handling heresy in the highest, but I didn't notice a darn thing. :hide:
With the FG2s or everything. I better feel a defference in handling. I KNOW my ride is gonna be worse. :banghead:

Luna.
07-03-08, 09:59 PM

I did. :p

It definitely seems stiffer to me.

There's a thread where a forum member did a terrific job of describing how exactly springs work (to keep the wheels/tires in contact with the road) and how shocks work (to stop the springs from bouncing). This guy even provided formulas, for crying out loud. (If memory serves, only Jerry knew those formulas right off the top of his head...(cough...cough) :duck:)

If I understood that post correctly, the FG2s basically "overpower" the springs, as they are stiffer than the spring rate (or something like that).

If that doesn't make any sense, I can try and summarize by stating that you'd notice the drawback when, say, going into a long-sweeping turn with uneven pavement (i.e. potholes). Otherwise, it didn't sound like there was too much a concern.

Personally, I LOVE a stiff-riding car & can't stand cars that list like a boat. As such, FG2s were an easy upgrade for me to buy.

rand49er
07-04-08, 06:57 AM
Springs resist being compressed (or extended) and require a certain force to deflect it a certain distance, thus are specified in terms of, say, lbs per inch. In other words, my Eibachs take 600 lbs to compress each of them one inch in the front (650 in the rear each).

Shocks resist the rate of compression (or extension) ... they do not change the amount of force required to compress (or extend) the suspension. And, they may have a different rate of compression compared to their rate of extension. Thus, going over bumps with higher rate shocks (e.g. FG2s) feel stiffer than with the FE4s.

Since I already had the stiffer Eibachs on my car, the increase in "stiffness" provided by the FG2s were a bit harder to notice ... especially for me. Some of the guys here who track their cars often would probably notice it, just not me.

crankedupforit
07-04-08, 09:32 AM
As Randy said, shocks control the rate of the springs compression. When cornering hard, the car transfers a lot of weight around. Performance shocks like the FG2s can help control the rate in which that weight get transferred to the outside wheels or from the fore and aft position when braking and accelerating. This smooth transition of weight transfer is what makes a better balanced car. Cadi chose to keep the softer springs for the ride quality but then use a fast reacting shock (FG2)to control the weight transfer. I have this set up and it works very well. With an aftermarket set of sway bars the improvement is significant. But as said earlier, if you are accelerating through a curve with really rough pavement, the car can skate a bit because the shock over powers the spring a bit. Not a big deal though and is a good trade-off for the better handling

ichpen
07-04-08, 12:14 PM
I'm also interested in this topic. I'm trying to get rid of some body roll and am thinking for going with hotchkis swaybars/FG4s... So, interestingly looking at my car's invoice sheet I see the following features as included in the options list:

FE4 - SPECIAL HANDLING SUSPENSION
FG2 - PERFORMANCE SHOCK ABSORBER PKG

So, I'm confused. Are FG2s the shocks? If so it looks like I have them already. Yet I still see FE4s....

CTSV_510
07-04-08, 12:18 PM
Yes, it lists FE4 because they are standard equipment from the factory. The FG2 shocks are dealer installed, so both are listed on the options list.

Look at the label on the shocks - if the border around them is a dotted line, then they are FG2. If they're solid, then they're FE4.

Check the cadillacfaq.com for pictures.

rand49er
07-04-08, 12:26 PM
Here's a pic ...

BowenCT
07-04-08, 12:40 PM
The FG2s are amazing. They sacrifice little to no ride quality compared to the FE4s. However, when the going gets fast they 'tighten' up the car beautifully. At speeds north of 100mph, and even more so the faster you go (120, 130+.....) they really instill much more confidence and capability into the chassis of the car than it would be with the FE4s. They should have been standard equipment in my opinion. They are that good.

CTSV_Rob
07-04-08, 03:08 PM
Some people may want the softer ride over the increase in performance. I'm not one of those people so I am quite happy they offered it as an option. I wish they would have done the same with the flywheel.

FG2's and the Hotchkis sways are a lot of fun on the track. I am a track newbie but I can tell you that the handling and the amount of lean are quite acceptable for someone that is new to the track. I am thinking about up grading to the KW's but only because I haven't done any mods to the car lately and I'm starting to get the itch again.

If you plan to do little with the car the FG2's with the Hotchkis sways are the way to go.

ichpen
07-04-08, 04:13 PM
Thanks guys. Very helpful.

Confirmed I have the FG2s. One less thing to replace. Looks like Hotchkis sways are the way forward. Do I still need the Z06 endlinks with the FG2s, or can I make do with what's there already?

Not planning on tracking the car every week here. Just needs a bit of roll/lean adjustment.

Need to replace that damn shifter also... Driving me insane...

CTSV_Rob
07-04-08, 04:27 PM
Only need the Z06 endlinks if you lower the car. I'm still using the stock end links.

ichpen
07-04-08, 04:46 PM
Great. Now then, best place to buy the Hotchkis?

Obviously here in farmland Toronto, Canada they'll be about as available as the pope on Christmas... So looking at online places right now...

rand49er
07-04-08, 04:55 PM
Only need the Z06 endlinks if you lower the car. ...True dat.

However, after you do the shifter (which should be first on everybody's mod list), do the Hots bars and then do the GC kit ... that's when you'll need the Z06 endlinks, but your car will look so-o-o good. :cloud9:

Luna.
07-05-08, 05:42 PM
Wasn't it Mallett who said the FG2s were too strong/not the "best" shock for the Vs?

JimmyH
07-05-08, 09:43 PM
I have to believe that the tighter rebound of the FG2 help with wheelhop too. As most people complain loudly about it, I find it minimal with the FG2.

ichpen
07-08-08, 01:06 AM
THanks guys. Got the hotchkis from tirerack. A little cheaper that hotchkis.net.

One quick double confirmation, no need for new z06 endlinks if I have fg2s. Right??? Clearance is ok?

Not lowering here. Just replacing sways.

Twitch
07-08-08, 06:58 AM
THanks guys. Got the hotchkis from tirerack. A little cheaper that hotchkis.net.

One quick double confirmation, no need for new z06 endlinks if I have fg2s. Right??? Clearance is ok?

Not lowering here. Just replacing sways.
Yeah, your good.

rand49er
07-08-08, 07:24 AM
... One quick double confirmation, no need for new z06 endlinks if I have fg2s. Right??? Clearance is ok?

Not lowering here. Just replacing sways.No need for Z06 endlinks with Hotchkis bars IF you're not lowering. Nothing to do with FG2s. :thumbsup:

rb1
07-08-08, 10:05 AM
Sorry if it was already answered, but how would you know which shocks you have?

rand49er
07-08-08, 10:28 AM
Sorry if it was already answered, but how would you know which shocks you have?Read this thread beginning at post #1. Pay special attention to posts #16 and #17.

:thepan:

ichpen
07-08-08, 02:22 PM
Cheers everyone.

Any issues/steps I should be aware off ahead of the install? Bear in mind I've never replaced sway bars before hence the paranoia....

Twitch
07-08-08, 02:47 PM
Cheers everyone.

Any issues/steps I should be aware off ahead of the install? Bear in mind I've never replaced sway bars before hence the paranoia....
I had a problem getting at one of the bolts in the front. Don't remember why, but I didn't have the right tool. Bring a 15MM deep, regular and open end. You should be fine with that. When your taking the nut off the end link, you need a torx (or allen?) bit to hold the bolt.
Pretty easy job though.

rand49er
07-08-08, 03:31 PM
... When your taking the nut off the end link, you need a torx (or allen?) bit to hold the bolt. ...Excellent point.
Took me forever to figure that out. :helpless:

BTW, metric Allen, I believe.

ichpen
07-08-08, 04:16 PM
Excellent point.
Took me forever to figure that out. :helpless:

BTW, metric Allen, I believe.

Good advice. I take it it (new sway) needs thorough lubing before the install.

Twitch
07-08-08, 04:23 PM
Good advice. I take it it (new sway) needs thorough lubing before the install.
They supply a couple little packs to lube up the bushings.

You did read the FAQ, right?

ichpen
07-08-08, 04:39 PM
They supply a couple little packs to lube up the bushings.

You did read the FAQ, right?

Yep, if this is the one you're referring to:
http://cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/swaybar/index.html

Twitch
07-08-08, 04:54 PM
Yep, if this is the one you're referring to:
http://cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/swaybar/index.html
Yup, print it or take your laptop with you. I just use my phone, but you will need to go back to it.