: Removing pully?

BIGGUN
06-07-04, 08:05 AM
Is there a trick to pulling the power steering pully?
When pulling with a puller the lip just rips of!
I need to get it off to remove the bolts for the pump, or is there another way.
I thought of drilling two 3/4" holes opposing each other to access the bolts thru the pully itself but was afraid that would weaken it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Kevin

Roswell256
06-07-04, 11:03 AM
ok ... you're afraid to weaken the pully by drilling holes, but you ripped the lip off with the pully puller?

I must be missing something.

eldorado1
06-07-04, 11:07 AM
Are you using a power steering pulley puller? Don't use a 2 or 3 jaw puller for this, it won't work too good. There are a couple different size pullers just for this job, and if you're using one that's slipping off, you've got the wrong size.

BeelzeBob
06-07-04, 11:15 AM
There is a very very common power steering pump pulley "puller" that is available about anywhere. The cheapie tool store near my house has three different versions..... Most any autoparts store has a GM power steering pump pulley puller on a rack available to rent or buy. Check it out.

You have to have the correct puller to grab the small flange to remove the pulley and you have to use the correct, threaded puller to install the pulley. Do NOT hammer it on or you will destroy the pump.

You do NOT have to remove the pulley to remove the pump from the engine. There is a single bolt on the right hand side of the engine....down in between the cam cover and the pump....that can be removed to remove the pump. To take the pump apart or to take the pump off the mounting bracket the pulley has to come off but the pump will come off the engine quickly by removing a single bolt thru the mounting bracket into the block.

BIGGUN
06-07-04, 11:57 AM
Thanks Bob, saw the bolt and thought "that's too easy" and looked right past it for a more difficult way to take it off.:rolleyes2

Thanks,
Kevin

Roswell256
06-07-04, 03:31 PM
so if my pulley has a big chunk out of the lip of it. Someone could have either used the wrong pulley puller, or dropped something on it that made it crack.

Should I replace just the pulley, or the pump and all?

BIGGUN
06-07-04, 05:18 PM
The puller that was used was a "power steering pully puller" that consists of two half circle pieces that grab the lip the whole way around.

I don't know why it broke but this is the second one.

The replacement from GM is all metal,.......Hmmmm?

Thanks,
Kevin