: Help a CTS-V Noobie - Rear End / Tranny!

Tyguy
07-03-08, 07:12 AM
Help guys! I've had my 2005 CTS-V for almost a year and have put on about 11,000 miles (started at 41,000 and now I'm approaching 52,000). I did a LOT of reading tonight on how the rear diffs get replaced constantly and this is freaking me out.

1. My rear end whines. Its constant and seems to appear under medium/heavier acceleration - its not too loud as long as I'm just lightly on the gas. It sounds just like my moser 12 bolt in my Camaro so that makes me think its just the gearset.

2. When i pull into my driveway (downhill into my parking spot) and make a right turn while in neutral i hear a mild moaning/howling sound from what sounds like the back of the transmission. With the clutch pushed in - this stops.

Does anyone have a rear end they've lived with whining? I don't beat the car at all and I'd like to think the guys going through 2,3, and 4 differentials are drag racing and beating on the driveline. I figure I've already made it 10,000 miles and the whine is NOT getting worse so maybe I'll be ok.

Its that growl when I turn sharp in neutral (or a low gear) that worries me.

Thoughts???

Tyler

Twitch
07-03-08, 07:30 AM
Help guys! I've had my 2005 CTS-V for almost a year and have put on about 11,000 miles (started at 41,000 and now I'm approaching 52,000). I did a LOT of reading tonight on how the rear diffs get replaced constantly and this is freaking me out.

1. My rear end whines. Its constant and seems to appear under medium/heavier acceleration - its not too loud as long as I'm just lightly on the gas. It sounds just like my moser 12 bolt in my Camaro so that makes me think its just the gearset.

2. When i pull into my driveway (downhill into my parking spot) and make a right turn while in neutral i hear a mild moaning/howling sound from what sounds like the back of the transmission. With the clutch pushed in - this stops.

Does anyone have a rear end they've lived with whining? I don't beat the car at all and I'd like to think the guys going through 2,3, and 4 differentials are drag racing and beating on the driveline. I figure I've already made it 10,000 miles and the whine is NOT getting worse so maybe I'll be ok.

Its that growl when I turn sharp in neutral (or a low gear) that worries me.

Thoughts???

Tyler

Maybe the growl is because your going over an uneven surface, and one wheel is turning a lot more than the other. It happened to me coming out of a gas station once. Mine was more like a grind, but it never did it again.
The diff is not strong enough for the Vs, but don't go crazy over it. I'm on my first at 26K, and drive my car hard sometimes. With the Stecter bushings, I get a little whine at about 50 - 65 mph. Didn't hear anything before.
The way I look at it. We do a lot of warranty work cuz its free. Most diffs get changed for the whine. How many people would live with it, if the cost came out of their poket?
Maybe you should change the diff fluid.
Don't lose any sleep over it just yet :yawn:

Tony

Tyguy
07-03-08, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'm not going to lose any sleep yet. I've got a solid mechanical background (project Camaro and Mustang) so I know what a "bad" noise is.

I don't like the "parade clunk" but it sounds like my whine is the same thing you had - and as long as it doesn't get any worse, i'm leaving it alone.

I think a LOT of CTS-V guys bought their cars expecting a Caddy quality ride...well...they got a Z-28 with frills. lol.

I love the car anyway. No real headaches in 8 months (1 airbag light). She's been good to me.

I've got my fingers crossed.

Twitch
07-03-08, 08:26 AM
lol Those guys really annoy me. They buy the car for the wrong reason, then bitch about it like its someone elses fault. Its a hot rod!
You'll be alright.

rand49er
07-03-08, 08:46 AM
... Maybe you should change the diff fluid. ...That'd be my first suggestion. Cheap, too.

If that has no impact, then I'd see a diff replacement in your future.

Tyguy
07-03-08, 08:51 AM
I'm definitely not replacing the diff just because it whines a little. I wouldn't be surprised if its just the way the gears are cut.

As far as it failing catastrophically - I don't have any leaks and I've NEVER pushed it into wheel hop so I'm not to worried about that either.

I treat it like a lady. :-P

Once the Warranty is up though I'll probably put a performance rear in it so I can drag it and modify it. Until then I've got 2 years more (or 75,000 miles) to reach. lol

rand49er
07-03-08, 09:06 AM
If you're still on warranty (you lucky dog!) and it only whines a little, you should sleep like a teenager. :rolleyes:

Tyguy
07-03-08, 10:40 AM
Um...are you being serious or sarcastic?

The whine is VERY minimal (I like it to be honest and it sounds JUST like a performance gear set in a solid axle car)...

And how exactly does a teenager sleep? I'm 24 so I've already forgotten. lol

Civardi
07-03-08, 11:51 AM
And how exactly does a teenager sleep? I'm 24 so I've already forgotten. lol

All fricken day is how they sleep. I have 13 & 15 year old boys. I don't expect them up much before noon.

Tyguy
07-03-08, 12:16 PM
hahahahahahahaha

well, i was never much for sleeping in - but i get it :-)

CadiBlk
07-03-08, 02:17 PM
reading here will cause forumitis and you will sit in fear that every creak or clunk is an imminent diff grenade or tranny lock. if it is going to break, then it is going to break. there are few small things that can be done to help and those were mentioned, fluid change, hop kit, prius purchase. but even all those still can't stop it from going over the edge. drive it, love it, and then deal with it. Another thing that can be done is to straight pipe the exhaust and get some headers, then the whine will magically disappear.

rand49er
07-03-08, 07:51 PM
... The whine is VERY minimal (I like it to be honest and it sounds JUST like a performance gear set in a solid axle car) ...You made it sound from your original post that it whined loudly when your foot was in it, it moaned, etc. If it's indeed "VERY minimal" AND you're on warranty, then you should sleep like teenager who pulled an all nighter the night before.

All fricken day is how they sleep. I have 13 & 15 year old boys. I don't expect them up much before noon.Oh, to be able to do that all over again ... be a teenager, that is.

CTSV_Rob
07-03-08, 08:50 PM
Oh, to be able to do that all over again ... be a teenager, that is.
Zits and school... Pass.

Tyguy
07-03-08, 09:07 PM
Yeah, I paid attention on the way home from work today - no whine on the highway and just a quiet whine from 30 to 55 while on the accelerator more than just a little bit. It hasn't worsened so I'm not gonna fret.

Worst case scenario - it goes out of warranty and I upgrade to a unit I can trust :-)

And teenage years for me were laying strips in front of my principal with my 1988 IROC.

Booyah!

Still, I'll take my engineers pay and Caddy and house and hot girlfriend I have now anyday. lol

CadzillaTN
07-03-08, 09:43 PM
sidenote: If I had this car at 24, I'd be in jail for doing 163 mph.

subject: doesnt matter if your diff whines when you take it to the dealer...If bubbas miracle ear isnt turned up, he wont hear it on the test drive.............

"CUSTOMER COMPLAINT NOT REPRODUCED". or whatever TF that message is on the history log.