: Nitto Drag Radials?

MauiV
07-02-08, 01:06 PM
I asked this in another post but it got buried unanswered.

I know a guy with a Cobra putting out over 500rwhp. He said that the wheel hop was bad because of the IRS. He installed Nitto DRs and said his wheel hop is gone. A tire that isnt spinning isnt hopping. The Nittos also dropped his 60' time to 1.8 sec and he took the car to Deals Gap recently with the DRs and said they handled great in the twisties.

Anyone else tried of heard of this as help on the wheel hop/diff issue?

I am very close to buying 2 for the rears to find out.

csp3000
07-02-08, 01:11 PM
I have only one thing to say about that...:shhh: Bye Bye diff...

onebadcad
07-02-08, 01:13 PM
I put a set of my rear wheels, I think 265s, for my only trip to the Strip. The tires are built for traction, as you can cut the tread with your fingernails. They definitely grab, had no wheel hop, and I would imagine similar results for the street; actually did not think about the tires eliminating wheel hop, just thought it was my great launch techniques, as I cut a 1.8sec 60'.
Now the down side, I grenaded the rear on a 1-2 launch on my second run of the night, the DRs may have traction beyond what the rear-end can handle.
Hope this helps,,,

EDIT, getting senile in my old age, but I have the BFG DRs, probably a similar composition, so similar results.

MauiV
07-02-08, 01:16 PM

Which leads to the question, Is the diff grenading because of the wheel hop or from the power?

If the tire hooks from the start and eliminates the hop shouldnt that be EASIER on the diff?

OR is the hop actually keeping the diff in one piece by displacing some of the energy into the suspension?

onebadcad
07-02-08, 01:17 PM

Is this why you never answered my PM?
BTW, you should have kept the V, gone with the forged internals and picked up a C6 for $30K:cool2:, then you could have joined the V/Vette Club.

MauiV
07-02-08, 01:17 PM
I put a set of my rear wheels, I think 265s, for my only trip to the Strip. The tires are built for traction, as you can cut the tread with your fingernails. They definitely grab, had no wheel hop, and I would imagine similar results for the street; actually did not think about the tires eliminating wheel hop, just thought it was my great launch techniques, as I cut a 1.8sec 60'.
Now the down side, I grenaded the rear on a 1-2 launch on my second run of the night, the DRs may have traction beyond what the rear-end can handle.
Hope this helps,,,

EDIT, getting senile in my old age, but I have the BFG DRs, probably a similar composition, so similar results.

Thanks, guess that answers that.

onebadcad
07-02-08, 01:18 PM
OR is the hop actually keeping the diff in one piece by displacing some of the energy into the suspension?

Not an engineer, but I think you are onto something.

onebadcad
07-02-08, 01:26 PM
Thanks, guess that answers that.

If you were local to me I would let you have them for a few weeks (sitting in boxes in the garage with a total of 50 miles on them-Moroso was a 45 mile drive), as they are impressive. Of course you would also have to plan for a few days of down time once you hooked up. Damnnn, would be nice if this car could launch without issues,,,

MauiV
07-02-08, 01:34 PM
If you were local to me I would let you have them for a few weeks (sitting in boxes in the garage with a total of 50 miles on them-Moroso was a 45 mile drive), as they are impressive. Of course you would also have to plan for a few days of down time once you hooked up. Damnnn, would be nice if this car could launch without issues,,,

Yes it would. Im still putting down pretty much stock HP though so it MIGHT be a possibility but we shall see I suppose.

rlj5
07-02-08, 04:18 PM
Hope this helps,,,

Not so sure about nitto's built for traction thing, I did several donuts down us 31 when I hit 3rd gear a little to hard. That with 285 Nitto drag radials ( really interesting ride at that speed )

atdeneve
07-02-08, 04:21 PM
I'm sure 813 rwhp / 749 rwtq doesn't help much, either.

rlj5
07-02-08, 04:28 PM
I'm sure 813 rwhp / 749 rwtq doesn't help much, either.

You might be onto something there!!

MauiV
07-02-08, 05:02 PM
I live right near 31E and work in Louisville. I would love to see that monster someday when you have it out.

rlj5
07-02-08, 05:16 PM
I live right near 31E and work in Louisville. I would love to see that monster someday when you have it out.

not all that far apart, Have to hook up sometime.
Should be getting it back real soon from Madman. Sometimes seems my Lady V spends most her time with other men working on her ass end