: The Night Of the Ricers

03EscaladeAWD
06-06-03, 10:47 PM
Went to the movies tonight (NOT to watch 2fast 2furious). At the front of the theater, there was a display from ricer Focuses to Mustangs to even Camaros!!! :mad: There were many headlight blinking and loud subs with neons thumpin. The interior of these cars had pioneer tv's in the dash, and black lights lighting up the white string holding the seats together. The pathetic excuse for an engine was, of course traditionaly very small, and had the bright blue wires running through the whole engine bay. Ewww, I need a V8 quick. That engine was soooo small it looked like you could hold it in one hand. I thought I was lookin at a model car now that I'm used to my big fat 360+ c.i. Escalade. One guy in a Firebird drives by us in the Escalade, and he wouldn't stop staring. I try to look away, but he keeps lookin. I wish he could look at other Cadillacs like that. On the streets, I could here all the little fart cannons and I wonder, how does such a small engine make such a loud fart? I mean its as big as a lawn mower engine, but lawn mower engines are 10 times more quiet without a muffler. I hope theres no 3Fast 3Furious. Cant they figure out this movie is makin the little kids street race? Yet they're makin laws against people watchin it. Thats like making a movie promoting guns. (oh wait, they have that already. But how come you dont see people going around shooting at people?) They're both illegal.

Brett
06-06-03, 10:56 PM
I always thought that the small engine would have at least one benefit. It looks like if there was a hard to reach bolt or something, you could just pull the whole engine out and hold it, while your buddy works on it.

kcnewell
06-06-03, 11:41 PM
Or.....Do the sensible thing and just leave it broken and go buy a good car.

elwesso
06-06-03, 11:53 PM
I agree!!

I think they put in loudeners in some of those ricers......

And I dont really think the makers of the fast and the furious care if it makes kids street race, they get their money, so what do they care if people get killed from crazy ideas from a stupid movie....

I really dont understand what is going through ricers minds.... They mod their cars so they have bright lights, sound like lawn equipment, and put TVs in the back seat, so only a midget can watch.... With all that money they could have a nice car that actually looks nice!!!

HotRodSaint
06-07-03, 08:44 AM
Another rice post...be right back I forgot my soy sauce.:banana:

03EscaladeAWD
06-07-03, 11:14 AM
It could be worse. The ricers might acutally BUY a fast car like an old Corvette or 10 year old viper. Then we would REALLY have problems street racing.

elwesso
06-07-03, 11:50 AM
They wouldnt have that much money...... See what they do is they spend it in little incriments over a period of, say, 2 years..... Maybe something like $200/mo, for 2 years is about $24,000... Most teenagers with a decent job flippin burgers at mcdonalds can make $200/mo easy......

the Sandman
06-07-03, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by elwesso
They wouldnt have that much money...... See what they do is they spend it in little increments over a period of, say, 2 years..... Maybe something like $200/mo, for 2 years is about $24,000... Most teenagers with a decent job flippin burgers at mcdonalds can make $200/mo easy...... Umm, add one more to your counter. $200/month X 24 (months in 2 years) = $4800. You don't handle the payroll, do ya? :D

elwesso
06-07-03, 12:48 PM
Math isn't my thing!!!! Unfortunately, the BF count rises again (i was about due for one anyway), and besides, I had just woke up, and the brain wasnt, say, "at operating temperature"..... :histeric:

Devil_concours
06-07-03, 12:53 PM
we have discussed this in numerous posts.
Reason why kids buy civics/integra/other econo over 10 yr old vettes is simple. MONEY. It cost more money to maintain a 10yr old vette than a honda civic.

BeelzeBob
06-07-03, 12:56 PM
Damn, I was all excited for a minute here. I thought if I could save that much money in two years by saving $200 per month, I'd be in heaven! Damn... It's like waking up on a weekday and you think it's Saturday - but it's not...

And Deville makes a great point. My '87 Vette has cost me $5000.00 during the past few months.. This is just maintenance... Is that not psychotic?

elwesso
06-07-03, 01:11 PM
See, the thing about maintenance items-- You can do most of them yourself, with limited tools and know-how...... Sure, its going to cost you more to own an 87 vette than it is to own a little econobox.... Mainly because there are less moving parts, therefore less of a chance of something failing.......

What kind of maintenance items are you having done, Sal? Due to my job situation, I have been forced to do all my own work to my car after I get the shocks replaced (money is running a wee short and selling the car is not an option :) ). On my car, replacing the spark plugs can cost around $400-$500 at a dealer(80 for parts and 6hrs labor), but I did it for $47 (bought the plugs off ebay and did the work myself)..... And it wasnt hard, just extremely time consuming due to very little room to work with.....

That is why i am a firm believer in DIY labor, especially on the simple, yet time consuming items........

Now if you have no spare time (unlike me ;) ) then you really dont have a choice......

BeelzeBob
06-07-03, 01:18 PM
I have no spare time - AND - I don't know s*it.. I spent too much time on other things to learn how to fix cars. I wish I would have had time to learn - but I don't now..

I had a million leaks fixed, mass air flow sensor, antenna... Just a lot of maintenance...

It IS true that these kids buy (usually) cheap cars and fix them up over long periods of time.. Take a look over at www.deerparkavenue.com - that's what they all do...

03EscaladeAWD
06-07-03, 03:29 PM
geez, 2 years at macdonalds and making only 4,800? Around here, you have to be 15 to start working, so by the time your 17 you cant even afford a Kia Rio. If I were ready to buy at age 15 or something, I would probably just take my parents car, unless it was a civic I could just buy.