: ATTN: All Volant owners

codewize
07-01-08, 11:02 PM
I'm in love. As long as I've had this POS I've been talking about making a custom lid. I downloaded e-machine shop and had a drawing made. They quoted it at $275. I thought that was insane. Whats the point? That doesn't seem like saving money to me.

So I finally realized that someone I know very well works for a welding supply company so what could it possible cost do get a small sheet of aluminum.

So while I'm discussing this with the guy he talks me into letting him cut it was well. I now have the hottest looking, best fitting, best sealing, most durable Volant CAI cover ever built, and it's not even painted yet. It's actually the shape of the box and not some random trapezoid that sort of fits. The holes actually allow the screws to go into the box.

:lildevil:

CadillacSTS42005
07-01-08, 11:28 PM
pics?

Highline Cady
07-02-08, 12:53 AM
Get me one!!! My Plexiglas lid is holding up fine but that sounds like it really made your day, so I'm sure I'd love one as well. Get some pics!!!

codewize
07-02-08, 08:34 AM
LOL I knew this was coming. Pics today :)

codewize
07-02-08, 12:07 PM
I have a call in to see what this thing actually costs to produce.

I have a couple, question though. Is it safe for me to drill the holes, I mean do you think each box is exactly the same?

What do you think would be a fair price on something like that? It's going to be 1/4 aluminum, not sure what grade. At least thats what mine is.

CadillacSTS42005
07-04-08, 03:41 PM
pics today was 2 days ago
stop holding out and postm Code

codewize
07-05-08, 07:14 PM
OK ok here ya go. Oh and no comments on my messed up engine cover. I think we all know that story.

I also included a couple pics of this weekends project :)

Highline Cady
07-06-08, 12:21 AM
Nice job, looks real good. Now I have to go take pictures of mine and post them.:thumbsup:

Submariner409
07-06-08, 11:02 AM
codewize, Now find a silver Cadillac grille wreath/emblem and stick it in the center of the aluminum cover.

codewize
07-06-08, 12:13 PM
Exactly! Or I was thinking to paint one in black on top of the body color. Undecided on that still. Is the emblem your choice of those 2?

Then the question is do I orient it to the front of the car, the corner of the car or some how line it up with the corner of the lid?

codewize, Now find a silver Cadillac grille wreath/emblem and stick it in the center of the aluminum cover.

Submariner409
07-06-08, 12:20 PM
If you shot the cover in body color, you might find someone to laser cut a detailed vinyl silhouette emblem in black. Orient it same as engine cover emblem.

Trouble with paint on the cover is every time you want to get in there, you chew up the bolt area.........Powdercoat, maybe???? Gloss black or silver/gray with bright red wreath.............(I love spending your money.....!)

codewize
07-06-08, 12:55 PM
Oh I don't mind, it's for a good cause. I can get a vinyl cut no problem at all. Powder coat may not be a bad idea either. I hadn't thought of that, but then how do we do the emblem on powder coat.

So you're saying keep the emblem true to the front of the car. I agree.

Submariner409
07-06-08, 01:34 PM
Vinyl emblem = sticky = graphics ???

codewize
07-06-08, 10:37 PM
On the powder-coat? No sealing ?

Vinyl emblem = sticky = graphics ???

codewize
07-07-08, 09:09 PM
So, whos into buying one of these and what's it worth. Seriously.

eyekandyboats.inc
07-08-08, 07:29 PM
very nice.
question. where is the hole and where dose the most air suction come from?

AJxtcman
07-08-08, 09:10 PM
OK ok here ya go. Oh and no comments on my messed up engine cover. I think we all know that story.
:)

y da ya hav an injun cover?
Y U cover up that nice intake?

We be stylin up here http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd25/AJxtcman/Bert/HPIM0114.jpg

codewize
07-08-08, 09:59 PM
The intake hole? It's in the stock location just behind the left headlamp assembly. I did a lot of customization to make it work correctly because the engineers at Volant, well, I'm not sure but it wasn't right.

Basically the only thing I left from Volant is the box structure itself.

very nice.
question. where is the hole and where dose the most air suction come from?

codewize
07-08-08, 10:01 PM
Nice job. I'm still into that cover but that does look nice. Now tell me please what kind of paint was used there so we don't' make the same mistake twice.

y da ya hav an injun cover?
Y U cover up that nice intake?

We be stylin up here http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd25/AJxtcman/Bert/HPIM0114.jpg

AJxtcman
07-08-08, 11:30 PM
Nice job. I'm still into that cover but that does look nice. Now tell me please what kind of paint was used there so we don't' make the same mistake twice.

That was 08 CTS red
You would have to ask Highline on the color

codewize
07-09-08, 01:14 AM
My concern is heat. In the pics you can see what happened to my cover after just a few days of driving. That was PPG paint mixed to match the car.

How does the pain on the intake not shrink and peal?

That was 08 CTS red
You would have to ask Highline on the color

codewize
07-12-08, 11:25 PM
OK So here's the skinny. I can sell these lids for about $40. That's a blank lid cut from aluminum. If you want me to drill the holes I will If, not that's fine as well.

I'm working on some options such as an etched Cadillac logo, polishing, etc. I figure if people want them painted, anyone can go to a paint shop and get it done, right?