: V-Owners - I need your input

GOTTSPD
07-01-08, 04:45 PM
Hey guys.

This is a super long post. You may want to go get a coffee before you begin reading... :)

I'm really struggling over a keep it/sell it decision re: the V.

MOD's - please don't move this to the compare forum, I just want V owner's input.

Here are the reasons I'm considering selling:

1)
Gas mileage = 14 when driven quite conservatively and 12 when driven like it was designed to;

2)
It requires regular visits to the dealer for repair (which, though it's the wonderful Lindsay Cadillac, is very inconvenient to get to from my home/office);

3)
It'd be nice to have a taller and slightly larger vehicle to load my children into;

4)
It'd be a plus to have a vehicle that my wife could drive (no need for snide comments, she's a great driver), but she doesn't drive stick and isn't interested in learning; and

5)
It's value is plummeting and I don't see the slide ending anytime soon.

Reasons to keep it:

I enjoy driving it. I enjoy looking at it. It's covered by an extended warranty for a long time. I like the car. It makes my ego feel good. It's rare. It's great looking (esp. mine). It's well equipped with the accessories and upgrades I've done. I love hearing the CORSA.

Potentional replacement vehicle:

2007 Acura RDX or 2005 Acura MDX.

The RDX is an incredibly fun car to drive and with the tech package, is very cool (back up cam, great nav, BT, XM, voice activated everything). The MDX with navi has XM, backup cam, voice activated everything, but is less fun, but more practical. That said, I don't really need anything bigger than the RDX because we already have a mini-van. Either would likely require fewer visits to the repair center, which would be nice, though if necessary, would be easier to deal with since there's a dealer much closer to home than Lindsay (and there's another Acura dealer two blocks from my office). I used to have turbo cars and I like them. Power when you want, economy when you don't. The RDX gets 19-20 mpg when driven conservatively and much less when you keep the boost guage pegged. Also, both Acuras are all-wheel drive, which would be good for the few days of wintery whether we get here in DC.

Here are the $ issues:

The V seems to have dropped by 20-30% in value over the last 2-3 months. I've gotten trade-in offers of about $20K. Someone in the V classifieds just posted a V for $22K. That's remarkable. Anyway, it's worth trading in if I'm close on the $ because I would then only pay tax on the delta between the purchase price and trade in price and the tax here in MD is 6%, so that's worth trading. Besides, I hate privately selling my cars. I usually do it anyway since I'm cheap, but I hate it anyway. :)

I can get a very good deal on a used '07 RDX with Tech - $27K certified to 100K (it's got 20K miles on it). I can probably get the dealer to give me 20 for my car. Thus, I'd be out about $8K to get the RDX.

If the GC SRT8 wasn't such a gas whore, that'd be a good replacement becaue it's rare and great looking. The RDX is not great looking, but it really is a kick in the pants to drive.

Look forward to your input!!!!!!

MescalVto
07-01-08, 05:07 PM
I would keep it!!

I just really do not see ANY of your reasons for replacing it as at all compelling - as you indicated that you already have a mini-van in the family and really have no need to replace the V, why spend extra $$ to replace it with a more "practical" vehicle and completely emasculate your transportation options:cookoo:

cvettr/cts-v
07-01-08, 06:11 PM
i also would keep it. you must drive all stop and go traffic as i have averaged 17.8mpg since picking mine up 1 year 6600 + miles ago granted it was 680 miles highway home and have been on 1 500 mile highway trip and 3 330 mile highway trips rest 9-15 mile jaunts with approx 60% city 40% highway. these were rated much higher than most get and is one of you choices its rated mpg or actual mpg? all vehicles loose value bad heck look at an suv some dealers not even willing to take them in on trade cause of fuel costs. to me if i can get over 12.5 which is my expedition combo mileage it is a saver for me even with the bump in premium fuel cost and one heck of a lot funner to drive.... just my .02 cents. each persons needs are different so good luck with you decision.

tdyguy2k
07-01-08, 06:20 PM
FWIW I would keep it to. I mean the fun to drive factor is through the roof on these cars. I also am averaging 17.8 or so per gallon, and I've only had one 400 mile highway round trip in my car. The rest of my driving is daily driver stuff, i.e. combo driving back and forth to work and running errands. I drive 16 miles one way to work, and I don't drive real conservatively. In the end though, you have to do what you have to do. Good luck with your decision.

heavymetals
07-01-08, 06:21 PM
Sell it and move on.

MikeNice
07-01-08, 06:42 PM
sit tight...the whole economy is in dire-straights. nothing is moving(selling/buying) and every1 is stressed the f*ck out. try to do some transindental meditation or like me, just slug yourself in the nutz. u'll see, it works...after that kinda pain u can bare anything. good luck in all ur future endeavors.

onebadcad
07-01-08, 06:55 PM
Do you really want to drive an SUV instead of a 4-door Vette?
I drive the wifey's Expy about once a week, and nothing about it is memorable. I realize the Acuras may be more fun than that barge, but neither can compare to the V. Look at the price of fuel as your fun tax.

CTSV_Rob
07-01-08, 07:29 PM
I am keeping mine but you should do what you need to.

I need to remember that "Fun tax" line, that's a good one.

dqw1
07-01-08, 09:26 PM
Sell it.

StealthCTSVJJL
07-01-08, 09:34 PM
You should check out actual mileage on the RDX in road tests, its pretty thirsty for a four banger. Every make of car is down in resale value in these tough economic times, but it is sure to get better once Mr. Bush leaves the White House. I have a 9 month old, 2 year old and a 12 and 13 year old that visit twice a month. We all actually fit in the V, with 2 car seats and all.
The V is a great family car! its gas mileage is not that much different than an SUV, but it will leave them all in the dust when the pedal comes down or the wheel has to turn! plus the kids actually like the sound of the Magnaflow exhaust.

GOTTSPD
07-01-08, 09:40 PM
how the heck are you guys getting 17.8 mpg? I've been driving pretty conservatively, shifting at 2500 RPM, doing some coasting and I'm at 14.2. I do tend to only drive in stop and go traffic, with some suburban driving and virtually no highway driving.

It's really the combination of all of the factors that is leading me to consider parting with the V. The mileage is not good, but the part that is the most frustrating about not getting good mileage is not the money, but it's that I have to go to the gas station frequently.

In terms of getting a larger vehicle, yes, we have the mini-van, but I take my daughter and will be taking my son, to daycare, so that's why I'm interested in the taller vehicle. Yeah, on the weekends, we'll probably use the mini-van, but that doesn't help me for the weekdays when I take them to daycare....

I do really enjoy the rarity of the V. I get comments and nods regularly. I would really miss that. :)

GOTTSPD
07-01-08, 09:42 PM
do y'all think that the value of the V will improve at some point in the next few months or is this a slippery slope?

CTSV_Rob
07-01-08, 10:07 PM
It's not an investment.

GOTTSPD
07-01-08, 10:46 PM
yes, I recognize that it's not an investment, but over the lost 3 months, the car has lost 20-30% of it's value due to the price of gas in the US and the expected continued increase in the same.

Civardi
07-01-08, 10:59 PM
My boys are 13 & 15 and fit in the back just fine with the wife and I. Read up online about the disadvantages of trading in right now. Cut out the coffee and help Starbucks close another 600 stores.

Bueller
07-01-08, 11:30 PM
You are asking the wrong forum. Based on the fact that you asked us, you really want a reason to keep it. I know that when I trade in a sportscar for an SUV I hate it every time. I get 15.9 with a volant and B&B regularly stretching the throttle. Acura makes a great car but it is pretty small for an SUV. I doubt you would get the same grins per gallon. It's not like the mileage is double. Good luck

CTSV_Rob
07-01-08, 11:41 PM
Relax, I was just playing.

I bought this car expecting to keep it so I don't even think about it because it will drive you crazy. Bottom line is this is a great car to drive and if it were me I would do everything to keep it.

cobra29svt
07-01-08, 11:46 PM
It's kinda funny you posted this. I just did the exact oppisite of what you're thinking of doing. I have a '02 Diesel Excursion that I thought would be great. Diesel was cheaper than gas at the time, and diesel's were getting better mileage than thier gas counterparts. Well thats not really the case anymore and I HATE driving in anywhere (previous vehicle was an '03 Cobra). So the V seemed like the perfect choice. A 4 door sports car. Sure, it doesnt have the same amount of space as an SUV. But I love driving it. I've only put around 250 miles on it (just bought it) , but I'm getting 18.8 mpg. Trust me, those were not "easy" miles either. Don't know why your mileage is so low?

Albertan
07-02-08, 12:09 AM
Remember, you have taken the hit on the V already. The new RDX will start plumetting as soon as you buy it since it is an SUV. The difference of $8000 will buy an alwful lot of gas. You won't know the gas mileage of the RDX till you buy it and find out it is 1-2 miles better. Now you will have a minivan no one wants and an SUV that no one wants either. The V will eventually become a collectors item ie Buick Grand National etc.

GOTTSPD
07-02-08, 12:27 AM
Hmm... this is odd. What mileage are other's of you getting? I have a CORSA and LPE intake, otherwise stock (as it relates to the drivetrain).

CTSV_Rob
07-02-08, 12:37 AM
It's kinda funny you posted this. I just did the exact oppisite of what you're thinking of doing. I have a '02 Diesel Excursion that I thought would be great. Diesel was cheaper than gas at the time, and diesel's were getting better mileage than thier gas counterparts. Well thats not really the case anymore and I HATE driving in anywhere (previous vehicle was an '03 Cobra). So the V seemed like the perfect choice. A 4 door sports car. Sure, it doesnt have the same amount of space as an SUV. But I love driving it. I've only put around 250 miles on it (just bought it) , but I'm getting 18.8 mpg. Trust me, those were not "easy" miles either. Don't know why your mileage is so low?
Funny, I have an 01 Dodge sitting in the driveway now becuase the Diesel is stupid expensive. When I bought it it was cheaper than regular but not anymore.

MescalVto
07-02-08, 12:25 PM
The difference of $8000 will buy an alwful lot of gas
:yeah:

Do the math - unless you drive an awful lot of miles, it will take years (likely more than you will keep it for) to (never) recoup your investment. If I had $8K I was itching to spend I would get a Maggie!!
:stirpot: Think smiles over miles:thumbsup:

GOTTSPD
07-02-08, 01:13 PM

Do the math - unless you drive an awful lot of miles, it will take years (likely more than you will keep it for) to (never) recoup your investment. If I had $8K I was itching to spend I would get a Maggie!!
:stirpot: Think smiles over miles:thumbsup:

But that's not the only reason for getting a different car. It's one, but not the only.

platinum_plus
07-02-08, 02:37 PM
i was considering selling my car to but just wont get the amount i want to sell it for. so now its either sell it for way under the price i want, or keep it and unload some cash on a maggie

onebadcad
07-02-08, 02:45 PM
Gas prices are ridiculous, I won't go there, but I have been trying to change habits in my only protest action. Here is what I have learned:

1) shifting at 2,000rpm is fine if you ain't racing or impressing passengers
2) coasting is cool, well not really, but I will keep telling myself that for now
3) sitting in traffic and at lights kills your fuel efficiency
4) short-shifting is no fun, but saves you money

With that said, I went from 18mpg to 23mpg in my C6. My V is not a good example, as motor is not stock, but I notice a difference in fuel economy when I do not beat on it; got 17mpg on a recent tank but cannot tell you the percentages of highway vs. city.
You only live once, do it in a V!!!

makeet
07-02-08, 03:37 PM
You can't sell it!!! I'm kinda in your situation, I drive alot, so paying for gas isn't fun, my wife refuses to learn to drive stick (fine with me), she has a Saturn Vue so we have room for the kids. She told me when I got a car to get whatever I wanted since I didn't want her to get the stupid VUE when she just HAD to have it, her only rule was make sure it has a big enough back seat for the kids. I was looking at SRT-8 Chargers and 300C's and M3's and M5's. But once I saw and drove the V it was all over. SOOO much fun to drive, gets the same milage as my jeep did, which I took a BIG hit on to sell to buy the V because nobody wanted a V8. So factoring in the fun to drive factor, the looks it gets, the comments it gets and the room it has, vs. gas prices, falling value, wife not driving, the V wins in my book everytime. I plan on keeping this one for 2-3 more years and trading it for an 09. My angle will be that it comes in automatic, but when the time comes I'm "only going to be able to find a 6 speed".:devil:

StealthV
07-02-08, 04:02 PM
...but when the time comes I'm "only going to be able to find a 6 speed".:devil:

Doubt it. 6-speeds will be the uber rare machines. Dealers probably won't even order them for stock units.

yes, I recognize that it's not an investment, but over the lost 3 months, the car has lost 20-30% of it's value due to the price of gas in the US and the expected continued increase in the same.

And factor in the '09 V coming - Many of us have or are going to dump the Vs we bought 4+ years ago and move into a new one.

-------------------
Back on topic -

Trade the V for a rice SUV? Are you nuts? In the big spiel, there's not one good reason to trade.

The greenies are getting to you. Go cut down a tree with a two-stroke chainsaw and feel better about life.

CTSV_Rob
07-02-08, 10:06 PM
Doubt it. 6-speeds will be the uber rare machines. Dealers probably won't even order them for stock units.

And factor in the '09 V coming - Many of us have or are going to dump the Vs we bought 4+ years ago and move into a new one.

-------------------
Back on topic -

Trade the V for a rice SUV? Are you nuts? In the big spiel, there's not one good reason to trade.

The greenies are getting to you. Go cut down a tree with a two-stroke chainsaw and feel better about life.
If everyone "dumps" it the same way you did the value on the ones still around might creep up a bit. :D

whisler151
07-02-08, 10:23 PM

StealthV
07-03-08, 12:01 AM
If everyone "dumps" it the same way you did the value on the ones still around might creep up a bit. :D

LOL, simple Econ101 Supply and Demand. I did my part to help you guys out. :thumbsup:

v10boost
07-10-08, 10:30 PM
do y'all think that the value of the V will improve at some point in the next few months or is this a slippery slope?

Hello Mike,

I think price dropped to lowest for now. this always happen when new model comes out. there aren't many good condition cts-v on the used car market and demand will be higher soon.

Also, i have similar problems with my V. my wife can't drive 6sp, little too small for family and little too modded as family car. i would just keep the V and look for suv for family car.

if you only want to have one car, i would pick e55 or 2003 audi rs6 which is awd turbo. price on e55 came down and you can pick up low milage one around high 30s to low 40s.

if you get suv, just go all out and get full size. suv suck but at least full size suv can hold lots of grocery.

GOTTSPD
07-10-08, 11:31 PM
Hello Mike,

I think price dropped to lowest for now. this always happen when new model comes out. there aren't many good condition cts-v on the used car market and demand will be higher soon.

Also, i have similar problems with my V. my wife can't drive 6sp, little too small for family and little too modded as family car. i would just keep the V and look for suv for family car.

if you only want to have one car, i would pick e55 or 2003 audi rs6 which is awd turbo. price on e55 came down and you can pick up low milage one around high 30s to low 40s.

if you get suv, just go all out and get full size. suv suck but at least full size suv can hold lots of grocery.

Hey Chris!

I've got a minivan, so I don't anything too big. I've revised how I drive the V and have upped my average to 16-17mpg recently, so that makes me feel a bit better that aspect. For the time being, I'll stick with the V unless I come across a great deal on a RDX or MDX... :)