: 50K mile service $1160!!

DLE
07-01-08, 12:14 PM
Holy cow! My '04 EXT just hit 60K miles... I took it in to the service dealer today to get a quote on how much it will cost for the service.

Well, they have a 50K mile service and not a 60K, and said this is recommended.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c196/DoctorLe/MISC%20PICS/ser.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c196/DoctorLe/MISC%20PICS/serv.jpg

$1160 is kind of out of my price range! Guys, please help me out!!

Which of these service is really NOT needed to be done right now, to help me save a little $$ here..

They said $1160 is included with 1 day free car rental from Enterprise for me to drive too.

Thanks in advance guys. :thumbsup:

hcvone
07-01-08, 01:59 PM
You can get it done a LOT CHEAPER THAN THAT, sorry had to yell. ;) I would change the coolant, oil and filter and lube, replace the air filter unless you have aftermarket, change your front and rear diffs oil. You run larger than stock wheels and tires so I would do the trans, refill and new filter. I suck out the brake fluid from the plastic container and refill with new fluid, I do this once a week for several weeks, and your fluid will be clear. Depending on your skill level most of these things you can do yourself saving a lot of money, if not all you can do some to get your cost lower. :)

Rolex
07-01-08, 01:59 PM
Well what things are they recommending be serviced? It may help to see a list of those items before offering an opinion.

I say change the differential fliuds every 20-25k, change the oil and filter every 3500k, Rotate the tires every other oil change, and you're good IMO. With 60k on the clock you should have already had the tranny flushed and fresh fluid added. If not, it's probably time. One of the pearls of owning a "high end" vehicle is the same service costs you twice as much as a Cadillac dealer. Did you know any Chevy or GM dealer can perform that service and probably do it for much less?

DLE
07-01-08, 02:20 PM
Carl:

I wish I had the "time" to do those fluid changes myself, but I dont. It sounds like an easy process, but I also dont have all the tools, etc either.

Rolex:

I dont know any other Chevy/GM dealer that will do it less. This is the dealer I always go to for my services. I mean, they do awesome work! Just kinda on the spendy side...

So, I broke it down to what I think I should do! Please let me know if this sounds okay?

Transmission Flush and Service $219.95
4X4 Service (Change front/rear diff fluids) $289.95
Oil Change and filter $44.95
Balance and Rotate Tires (which I havent done in a while) $49.95

Total = $604.80

Carl: Should I really do the "Brake Fluid Flush and Service"?? Its additional $89.95

or what about "Fuel Filter Replace" $69.95. I havent done the fuel filter yet!

DLE
07-01-08, 02:51 PM
Also, whats Fuel Injection Service? Do I need to do that? Its $130..

hcvone
07-01-08, 04:42 PM
Dump a bottle of Techron in the gas tank every few thonsand miles, if you have good throttle response no need for the fuel injector cleaning. I would have the fuel filter changed before the brake fluid. You can do the brake fluid, get a turkey baster, you can use that to suck the brake fluid out, and get a quart of syn brake fluid, I believe it dot 3 to dot 4, you can get at any auto store. Do you have any good repair shops in your area? They could do this very easy.

Rolex
07-01-08, 06:54 PM
Carl:

I wish I had the "time" to do those fluid changes myself, but I dont. It sounds like an easy process, but I also dont have all the tools, etc either.

Rolex:

I dont know any other Chevy/GM dealer that will do it less. This is the dealer I always go to for my services. I mean, they do awesome work! Just kinda on the spendy side...

So, I broke it down to what I think I should do! Please let me know if this sounds okay?

Transmission Flush and Service $219.95
4X4 Service (Change front/rear diff fluids) $289.95
Oil Change and filter $44.95
Balance and Rotate Tires (which I havent done in a while) $49.95

Total = $604.80

Carl: Should I really do the "Brake Fluid Flush and Service"?? Its additional $89.95

or what about "Fuel Filter Replace" $69.95. I havent done the fuel filter yet!

You have highlighted the service items I would get.

Want to clean the fuel system? Get yourself a can of SeaFoam: 1/2 in the fuel tank, 1/2 in the crank case a week before you change the oil. To clean carbon off the intake suck a few ounces into the PCV vacuum line and let it kill the motor. Crank the motor back up after 10 minutes and watch the carbon fly out the tail pipe. I swear by SeaFoam.

TSS
07-01-08, 07:20 PM
If it makes you feel any better, just before it went out of warrantee last year, on my 01 SLS, I paid 711.00. I think it was LOF including an oil flush., tranny service, coolant service, PCV, fuel filter, fuel injection service, power steering flush/change. Maybe something more, but I can't recall right now. Like you, simply no time. With a 4x4, I would expect to pay more. I know I could have paid less, but if something went wrong just out of warrantee, I felt like I would have a better leg to stand on. As with you, great dealer, so I just went with it.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-01-08, 07:58 PM
Yeah, Chevy dealer will do the same for a lot less. A 60k at my work, for a 4x4 is $625.

dmarlow
07-02-08, 12:16 AM
You have highlighted the service items I would get.

Want to clean the fuel system? Get yourself a can of SeaFoam: 1/2 in the fuel tank, 1/2 in the crank case a week before you change the oil. To clean carbon off the intake suck a few ounces into the PCV vacuum line and let it kill the motor. Crank the motor back up after 10 minutes and watch the carbon fly out the tail pipe. I swear by SeaFoam.

:yeah:
SeaFoam as said. I use it in all my toys and vehicles.

DLE
07-07-08, 05:35 PM
Just an update:

Ended up going to Cottoman Transmission (a friends shop) and they did the whole service I listed for $500!! Saved me half the $$$$!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

hcvone
07-07-08, 07:56 PM
Just an update:

Ended up going to Cottoman Transmission (a friends shop) and they did the whole service I listed for $500!! Saved me half the $$$$!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

As long as you know them, don't think I would be there without knowing the owner or tech there, glad it went well and you saved yourself some good coin. :)

Guyz1996deville
07-08-08, 02:29 PM
You should really not flush your transmission. All you need to do is drop the pan replace the filter. New gasket, new filter, and new fluid. It really will not trash your transmission. If you read up on the forums you will see the pain that flushing does to the transmission. You will be on the transmission thread before you know it.