: bose change out ?

shaynes302
07-01-08, 10:37 AM
I currently have a 1999 ETC Eldorado with a Bose. My wife has a 2000 Catera with close to the same Bose except mine has a few more options than hers. My wifes radio sounds a lot better than mine and when I say a lot it really doesnt sound like the same radio at all. My question is first why and second how hard would it be to change mine over to the system she has. I know it sounds stupid but I really enjoy lisening to the radio and I spend a lot of time in the car. No I am not going to steal hers but I would think I could find the needed parts to change mine over without spending a lot or starting a major project but thats why I am asking for some advise here.

Submariner409
07-01-08, 02:00 PM
The Bose (no highs, no lows) in your ETC should sound almost identical to the Catera or any other GM/Bose installation in the same class (speakers, amps, controls close to the same). If it doesn't I would suspect malfunction of one or more amps or speakers.

Can you move the soundfield around inside the car by using the L-R and F-R faders? Does the sound balance change with changes in the bass/midrange/treble controls ?? That system should be almost infinitrely variable in sound quality, from plain horrible bass bumper to pretty good to treble screecher.

shaynes302
07-03-08, 02:45 PM
Yes mine does all of that. The catera has alot more speakers than mine does. She has a sub in the back and twets on the doors. Hers is a lot better sounding system from the high to the lows.

Submariner409
07-03-08, 02:52 PM
Snoop around down in Technical Tips: Audio, Alarm....... maybe some light in there.

STS2003 has a good handle on what the different Bose systems were and what they're capable of......

I think there were several different systems available as options......what does your RPO sticker (under the spare tire cover) translate to for a sound system ??? There's a GM RPO list at the top of one of these pages.......

shaynes302
07-04-08, 12:44 PM
I will take a look and see if that tells me anything. Thanks for the help

CadillacSTS42005
07-04-08, 06:22 PM
the Catera used a single major amp to power its speakers
it had 2 triangle tweets in the window triangles 2 6.5 speakers in the front doors for full range and 2 6.5 mids in the rear deck for bass (ie as subs but the car does not have a true sub like the 98+ Seville and 00+ Deville)
all the speakers are free air

the 92-02 Eldorado used a mini amp system
4 100 watt mini amps power 1 of four speakers which are 4 inchers in bose enclosures (ie not free air) in the front doors, and 2 free air 6x9s in the rear deck

i think that pretty much explains why theres a difference in sound

as for swapping her system into your car forget it its way too involved and would create several wiring and data class 2 conflicts

what exactly are you not satisfied with in the system and we can go from there, the bass (lows), the treb (highs) etc?

shaynes302
07-05-08, 10:52 AM
I guess my biggest problem is as soon as I turn the bass up it starts going to hell. What can I do to get a little more bass. It does appear to have paper made speakers and with the car being a 99 would it be a good idea to change them out? I know that would not be cheap but if it would trully help I would not mind to spend the money. They sound really good until you kick the volume and bass up. Any help you could give me would be helpful. I have seen several post from you and you appear to really know your caddys. So in short to answer your question to start I would like to have more bass it seems to be the weak link as of now.

CadillacSTS42005
07-05-08, 11:00 AM
how much bass are you looking for
id recommend turning the bass away from your speakers and install an infinity basslink for a small compact boost in bass response...

shaynes302
07-06-08, 12:33 PM
I am going to take a look at the cost and size today. I may get back with you on the hook up later this week. Thanks

Submariner409
07-06-08, 02:38 PM
shaynes, To reinforce what 2003 said, if you want BASS, as in "hyped-up 80Hz THUMP!" or 20 Hz organ notes, you need size and power. 6x9's won't do it. One or two 12's with a good steep crossover to get everything below 120Hz out of the small speakers is the ticket to heaven. Home or car.......mini-monitors just don't make it alone anywhere..........