: re-wired 05 cts-v starter won't engage

67+05CaddyV
07-01-08, 06:48 AM
Hello,
I've re-wired the dash harness, plugged everthing in and all power works except starter won't crank engine.

I've plugged in the engine side.
I've plugged in the steering collumn and all interior plugs.
When I turn the key to acc, the fuel pump, and IC lights come on like usual. When I turn the key to start, all the lights go out but no starter engagement? I hear a barely audible click from the accesories relay under the hood and then a small click from the ingition relay behind the drivers side fuse block. The battery is good and charged. Any suggestions on what to test next?? I may have pulled on the starter harness?? sorry for long message - any help is much appreciated

ewill3rd
07-01-08, 08:30 AM
The security light is not on is it?

NormV
07-01-08, 08:32 AM
Make sure the clutch switch is triggered. When the key goes to start position some of the dash lights turn off.

Norm

ewill3rd
07-01-08, 09:02 AM
That could be the issue right there, check the clutch switch up on the shaft, is it plugged in?
I have seen some of those get freaky too. Not sure why but if that is the issue I might have some tips for you.

67+05CaddyV
07-01-08, 02:02 PM
Yeah, I hooked up the new clutch plug. The switch slides on the shaft though and seems loose? Is there a way to jump it to check that out?
BL

Gerbonium
07-01-08, 05:23 PM
i dont know. did u check all the fuses?

67+05CaddyV
07-01-08, 08:41 PM
All the ic lights go out except the check engine light. It stays on. It wasn't on before the harness change?
And what about the security system? The battery (pos and neg) was disconnected for a few days?
The fob key alarms the car and opens the doors and turns off. It seems like something is not letting the current get through to the starter? Because the power is good but it just kills the power when I turn the key to start.

ewill3rd
07-01-08, 09:15 PM
If it feels really loose it could have a broken spring.
Get a flashlight and see if you can look up there, you might see a white clip, if you squeeze the tabs on the end and push it up a little it will come out, you can see inside to see if the spring is broken.
If it is, you'll never get it started.
If it isn't I have another check you can do but you'll have to be very careful.
If you can disconnect it, I can tell you how to jumper it to see if it is bad.

schmiot
07-02-08, 01:08 AM
My first thought is dead battery or battery with a dead cell. You've probably checked that already but I've had a battery test fine power-wise even with a load tester but when checking the fluid in each cell with a liquid battery tester it showed a dead cell.

Good luck,
R.

67+05CaddyV
07-05-08, 07:29 AM
The problem was a tine, yellow wire in one of the plugs that was broken. When the salvage boys pulled it out of the wreck, they must have yanked too hard. It took forever to isolate it but finally success!!! New harness, everything works and now it even starts lol.

Kmajecki
07-05-08, 08:25 AM
Nice work man, glad it starts for ya!

ewill3rd
07-05-08, 12:14 PM
Sweet!