: 96-02 eldoroado- Double Din anyone!?

K_cin_az
06-30-08, 04:56 PM
Has anyone actually been able to install a double din unit into a 96-02 eldorado? If so did you have to worry about etching into either the computer controls above the radio or the temp. controls below the radio? Took it to a guy to look at today and he said he would have to etch into those sections which is not something I am really keen on doing.

K_cin_az
07-01-08, 11:26 AM
Hey Guys,

Been researching this and found that it can be done without etching. See the below guys car. Figured I would follow up on this post because I ran across some heated threads on this subject in our forum. So it can be done without etching. I will eventually figure this out myself. This guy's install in somewhat clean. Hopefully I can get mine figured out a little cleaner.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2966765/5

CadillacSTS42005
07-01-08, 05:23 PM
thats a member here and long time friend
the727kid
he made a post about it

K_cin_az
07-01-08, 09:22 PM
cool, he obviously knows more than this "shop" guy I had look at it the other day who said he would need to etch into the computer unit and maybe even relocate those buttons. Heard that and went straight for the door. So far 727 kid is the only one I have seen with the double din in there rather cleanly! Meeting a guy this Thur for him to see if he can make a custom bezel kit for it. Will post pics if he can create the bezel for me and I have the 3 day weekend to install then. Seems rather simple install if a bezel kit is already created for me :)

K_cin_az
07-05-08, 02:45 PM
well, not quite happy with the way this looks, but no going back at this point until I can figure out a better way to install this.....

Installing a double din in the eldo there really is no problems with the upper and lower dimensions, problem as you can see is the sides. If anyone has any ideas to make this look better let me know!

CadillacSTS42005
07-05-08, 05:18 PM
bondo plastic
fill in
sand down
finely sand
paint
install

K_cin_az
07-05-08, 07:33 PM
so could bondo plastic be placed right over the plastic filler that is there or should I try to remove that? What type of paint would I use to try to match it all up? thanks - nick

JMOSELDO
07-17-08, 02:41 AM
Hey I Just Bought A 96 Etc, I Already Have Jvc Exad 7inch Dvd Recvr (double Din) Is There Any Way Someone Could Help Me Out With Installation Process, I Had It In My 02 Diamante, So I Kinda Know What Im Doing, But Never Did A Caddie Before, Please Help... All Info Would Be Appreciated... Thanks!! Ps I Dont Care If Theres Openings To The Left And Right, As Long As The Sh*t Works... I Could Give 2 Sh*ts Thanks!!

CadillacSTS42005
07-17-08, 10:48 AM
Its Really Annoying When Someone Types Like This...
Please Get Control Of That Caps/Shift Button
Thank You

K_cin_az
07-17-08, 07:01 PM
hey JMOSELDO -

Does your caddy have the bose system? If not the install is your average install outside of cutting up the single din kit to fit your double din. If you have the bose system from my understanding and according to CadillacSTS2003 (who seems to know just about everything about audio in caddys) it would pretty much be a b!tch to install. If you don't have the bose system you just need the proper metra bezel kit, the proper axcess wiring kit, antenna adapter, and your traditional tools. The Metra bezel kit you will need to hack up obviously.

K_cin_az
07-17-08, 07:13 PM
Hey CaddySTS - could you point me in the direction of the best material to buy to even out my unit. I think I found the right paint already and will just use some very fine sandpaper, but not quite sure what exact material I should use as a "bondo" or "filler". Any other tips you could give on how to make this look more factory would be great. Would like to try this before I go and pay a fiberglass guy $150 to make it look perfect.

CadillacSTS42005
07-17-08, 10:37 PM
cleanest dbl din install ever...

didnt do it on my Eldo, i still have an avic n1 flip screen nav but i hope to apply what ive learned and get around to doing it on mine...
http://i35.tinypic.com/2z3nhnp.jpg

JMOSELDO
07-21-08, 12:22 AM
yea.... its bose.... how u do it n what can i possibly mess up?

K_cin_az
07-21-08, 12:09 PM
Not sure, research the board and you should find some answers. I do know it is a big project that requires a lot of wiring expertise.

K_cin_az
10-08-08, 03:13 PM
just found this install posted on craiglist.....clean as it gets that is for sure!

mythy
10-27-08, 03:21 AM
is that the stock bezel cut up? looks odd to me

CadillacSTS42005
10-27-08, 10:54 AM
no
thats a double din kit cut and fiberglassed for a double din...

Cliff8928
10-29-08, 02:22 AM
bondo plastic
fill in
sand down
finely sand
paint
install

If your paint skills aren't up to snuff, or you want woodgrain or another pattern, I would recommend having the finished product immersion coated by VCFinishes (http://www.vcfinishes.com/).